You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Tough spot in a satellite.

tom_mulltom_mull Member Posts: 30
edited December 2021 in Strategy
15 players left in with 10 going through. If you are readless would you call with my hand and also what range of hands are you calling the shove with? I was either 12th or 13th at the time with no one that short stacked. 

SBSmall blind 100.00100.001605.00BBBig blind 200.00300.005625.63 Your hole cards10A   tom_mullRaise 400.00700.003795.00CutoffFold    DealerFold    SBFold    BBAll-in 5625.636325.630.00tom_mull???    

Comments

• Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited April 2014
    My opinion: no way would I call with your hand. The villain has 28BBs in a sat - this is HUGE. He doesn't have to move here at all, so when he does he's got a serious hand that kicks the **** out of AT!

The second question about what hands you would call the shove with - my answer would be: virtually none. AA or KK maybe QQ.
    In your situation I am extremely reluctant to call any shove but am quite happy to shove myself with any old cr@p.

• Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited April 2014
    100% a fold here

u are UTG and get shoved on late on in a sat... ICM suicide to call.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I did fold in the end but wasn't sure if it was correct or not. Thanks for the quick replies.
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited April 2014
    its a fold readless in a standard mtt never mind a satalite.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tough spot in a satellite.:
    My opinion: no way would I call with your hand. The villain has 28BBs in a sat - this is HUGE. He doesn't have to move here at all, so when he does he's got a serious hand that kicks the **** out of AT! The second question about what hands you would call the shove with - my answer would be: virtually none. AA or KK maybe QQ. In your situation I am extremely reluctant to call any shove but am quite happy to shove myself with any old cr@p.
    Posted by BigBluster

Also I'd have thought that JJ, AK or AQs are snap calls.
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tough spot in a satellite. : Also I'd have thought that JJ, AK or AQs are snap calls.
    Posted by tom_mull
    I think that every one of these hands is a snap fold! But what do I know? Happy to talk about all-in shoving and folding ranges, fold equity etc if you're minded to start a thread.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tough spot in a satellite. : Also I'd have thought that JJ, AK or AQs are snap calls.
    Posted by tom_mull
    Depends on so much. Table position, dynamic, image, previous hands, how close to the seats, how many shorties left, even down to when the blinds go up.

The A10 above is a trivial fold. AKo in that exact scenario would be an interesting spot....in that instance I'd probs call it off as we'll be pretty much a lock for the seat if we win the hand. My thinking being that if we're 13/15 and need a top 10 finish, we're gonna have to spin it up at some point. This could be the best chance we get; AK plays pretty well vs that BB shove range, and we hold blockers to the 2 hands we don't wanna see. Never happy calling it off in a sat, always much better to be the one going all in, but sometimes you just gotta hover that mouse over the middle button and see 5 community cards.

Edit...though I can see why people would fold AK....as if we call and lose the hand we have zero chance of a seat, whereas if we just fold it pre to the shove then we are still in with a shout. Don't think I'm nitty enough to fold big slick though ;)
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2014
    Not that tough A10 os is in horrible shape here and its a fold. Am i the only one who would be folding this pre without opening or is that just far too tight? Save the 20bb for better spots
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2014
    I completely agree with you Matt ^^^

In an MTT with 20 bigs I'm opening it on most tables all day long, but in a satellite and this close to the seats, I'd be be open folding near enough 100% of hands from UTG.