You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

what size should i make my raise on this flop?

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited December 2021 in Strategy
when he limps i'm thinking he has certainly hit this flop i don't have any reads as this is the second hand it the MTT.
68Trebor Small blind   10.00 10.00 2130.00
craigcu12 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards

Call   20.00 50.00 1880.00
davecharms Fold        
chrisdboy Fold        
telboy121 Fold        
68Trebor Fold        
craigcu12 Raise   40.00 90.00 1940.00
  Call   40.00 130.00 1840.00
Flop

• K

craigcu12 Bet   80.00 210.00 1860.00
  Raise   240.00 450.00 1600.00
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2014
    If it's a BH I'd probably just ship the lot. You could r/r to a 'normal' amount of about 650, but you'll look super strong. Board too wet (and OOP) to slow play effectively. If villain is the type to limp in UTG, call the raise and then raise you on that flop, they'll probs pay you off with any piece of that board.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2014
    Hate the min raise pre but to answer your question im going about 540 which sets it up perfectly for a turn jam
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: what size should i make my raise on this flop?:
    If it's a BH I'd probably just ship the lot. You could r/r to a 'normal' amount of about 650, but you'll look super strong. Board too wet (and OOP) to slow play effectively. If villain is the type to limp in UTG, call the raise and then raise you on that flop, they'll probs pay you off with any piece of that board.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    +1
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited April 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Have to agree with this. I reckon the villain has a hand of some value (KJ or K10) that or has a rag A suited and picked up but flush draw. Either way getting it in now seems correct play as played out.   Chip stacks warrant that play and the turn could kill the action if he just has TP.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited April 2014
    Hate the min raise pre. What are we accomplishing other than playing a bigger pot OOP? Checking is fine early, no need to raise with a bad PP, too many times we are getting into awkward situations. 

As played, if it's a BH, I would go ahead and ship here. So many weak players early on that won't fold top pair (or ANY pair) and even draws. 
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah if it's a BH shove
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    going off what people are saying i will show the result of the hand and how it was i played it.
    craigSG1 and matt the bet preflop although it does look a in raise it was actually a standard 3xBB. the reason for it saying raised by 40 chips isi already had 20 in the pot. the reason i decided to raise preflop was it was just going to be me and him.

The result of the hand was i raised it to 540 and he did call then when the turn was an A he folded and i'm thinking myself even if he had K10 he could fold now as AA and AK have gone ahead.

So knowing that if i am going to reraise he will know i'm strong so i might aswell do the shove, the hands i'm thinking should be shoved are nut flush draws, QJs and 2 pair+

Their is a few hands i still am unsure of and those are AA and TP+ flush draw, should i shove them or would the call be better?
    68Trebor Small blind   10.00 10.00 2130.00
    craigcu12 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards

Call   20.00 50.00 1880.00
    davecharms Fold        
    chrisdboy Fold        
    telboy121 Fold        
    68Trebor Fold        
    craigcu12 Raise   40.00 90.00 1940.00
      Call   40.00 130.00 1840.00
    Flop

• K

craigcu12 Bet   80.00 210.00 1860.00
      Raise   240.00 450.00 1600.00
    craigcu12 Raise   520.00 970.00 1340.00
      Call   360.00 1330.00 1240.00
    Turn

• A

craigcu12 Bet   665.00 1995.00 675.00
      Fold        
    craigcu12 Muck        
    craigcu12 Win   1330.00   2005.00
    craigcu12 Return   665.00 0.00 2670.00
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    2x or 3x my point still stands. I think too many times we get into bother. For example the flop is Kh10h2c and we c-bet and get called. Now what? Does he have a pair or a draw or just calling with nothing. We can end up folding the best hand or paying off a better one. Its too early to get in these spots, esp with weak hands OOP.

I dislike the turn bet. A hand he could have, QJ, just got there but more importantly if he has a K or a 10 he will not like this card with the action so far. I'm inclined to check here with hope to get paid on the river. If the FD comes I think we can find a bet/fold line (as very few players will bluff raise the river).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    so if i'm holding small pocket pairs UTG and UTG+1 should just limp in preflop too?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    so if i'm holding small pocket pairs UTG and UTG+1 should just limp in preflop too?
    Posted by craigcu12
    I wouldn't do that Craig. Think either checking your option in the BB with 66 or raising is fine. My mood might dictate what course of action. Can't fault a raise tbh, as long as aware you'll be playing OOP in a slightly bloated (but not much) pot.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Posted by craigcu12
    Early doors (first 2 levels) I dont think thats bad. Lets face it, at this point in the tournament we have EVERY weak player in who wont give up top pair or an overpair no matter what. 

But I would still raise with small pairs UTG as we are starting the action. In the blinds is a little trickier to raise with as we are garenteed to be OOP.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: what size should i make my raise on this flop? : I wouldn't do that Craig. Think either checking your option in the BB with 66 or raising is fine. My mood might dictate what course of action. Can't fault a raise tbh, as long as aware you'll be playing OOP in a slightly bloated (but not much) pot.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Raising isnt the worst thing but I still think early doors there's no point to go mad. We are left in awkward spots too often as we can feel obligated to c-bet as check folding seems weak! :) I am only talking about couple of levels.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    More I think about it, more I prefer to raise. Had it been 3 limpers then tapping the table is more appealing, but as it's gonna be HU then yeah I like the raise. I agree to not go mad, but that would have to mean barrelling on a ridic board after getting stationed. Just raising and cbetting will often win the pot, and set the tone for the table.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That was my whole reason i choose to raise pre. had their been more than 1 then i'm going to check but on this occasion we only have one limper. OOP in general makes things harder when the flops are wet, if i have AQ AK 99+(which i should be raising for sure) this flop would put a few on them into a difficult spot too and the thing about QQ on this flop is i can't it give up too easy, something that i can do with small pairs.

I might still have a chance of remaining in position when raising 66 UTG but i'm expecting the blind to fold most times and if he doesn't fold now then he will do most flops and his strong hand i'm expecting a reraise pre.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If you are going to bet turn why aren't you jamming?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    matt the truth is that i was doing a smaller bet to give KQ or KJ better chance of calling because the way i played the flop did give my hand strength away really even K10 would have managed to fold the turn as them which are not ahead OTF AK AA QJs have gone ahead on the turn.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    this hand has got me thinking of what my decisions should be with a few hands on this board.
    Q. when my cbet gets raised on this flop, what should i do with these hands?

66 i guess should be a shove but

if it was KK?

AhKh?

QhJh?

Ahxh?

and

AA?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You've already taken the strong line of re raising on the flop, might aswell get it in. Set perfect for a turn shove, get them in.