You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Head scratcher,,

davelufcdavelufc Member Posts: 1,370
edited December 2021 in Strategy

First hand of a deepstack tourney so no reads,

Can I call here as it looks as though all the obvious draws missed??

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Physcobob Small blind  10.00 10.00 5000.00
jthej Big blind  20.00 30.00 4980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

avm170 Call  20.00 50.00 4980.00
xxxxCall  20.00 70.00 4980.00
davelufc Raise  80.00 150.00 4920.00
bonessfc02 Fold     
Physcobob Fold     
jthej Fold     
avm170 Call  60.00 210.00 4920.00
xxxx Call  60.00 270.00 4920.00
Flop

avm170 Check     
xxxx Check     
davelufc Bet  135.00 405.00 4785.00
avm170 Call  135.00 540.00 4785.00
xxxx Call  135.00 675.00 4785.00
Turn

avm170 Check     
xxxx Check     
davelufc Bet  500.00 1175.00 4285.00
avm170 Fold     
xxxx Call  500.00 1675.00 4285.00
River

xxxx All-in  4285.00 5960.00 0.00
davelufc   ??

Comments

• Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2014
    7 8 got there. Fold
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited April 2014
    Snap fold 

Deep stack - no need to go home! Could be a slow playing set being a maniac on river. Maniac 2 pair with 9 10 or as Matt said, probably the nuts!

Just make a note and find a much better spot, u would be gutte to go home first hand calling all your stack off on too pair good kicker!

What did you do? Way posted guessing called it off?
  • Options
    ff55hhff55hh Member Posts: 395
    edited April 2014
    I may well get flamed for this but here goes....

1st level of an MTT. limp, limp......3 more to act...

I'm just folding K 10 pre flop.

When i flop top pair against the limpers I'm pretty happy but would value bet over 50% of pot. Your hand is vulnerable and there are obvious draws.

When they both call I'm not feeling confident at all. Though only A-10, 9-10 and sets are beating us.
    THIS PART I EXPECT TO BE FLAMED: Its unlikely you'll get paid through 3 streets by worse so I'm just checking back the turn. When I do that I'm only continuing on a blank river / against 1 act of aggression. I think thats the best way to get value from busted draws here.

Villain goes check/call, check/call, jam its usually a sign of strength so its a trivial fold on the river.

Just avoid the situation completely by folding K-10.
    Try punishing limp callers with stronger hands and maybe raise a little more each time to see how much they will limp/call for and make a note of it.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    If you check back the turn the pot is only 675 so the jam is unlikely.

That being said, its still >2.5x pot so who knows :-)))))
  • Options
    davelufcdavelufc Member Posts: 1,370
    edited April 2014
    The jam from oppo just didn`t feel right, thought it was a bluff.

It probably is a fold most of the time but sometimes I guess you have to go with a feeling.

Sorry but I don't agree with folding pre, K 10 suited can play well in position. Also you will never make a royal if you`re folding cards like these!!!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Physcobob Small blind  10.00 10.00 5000.00
    jthej Big blind  20.00 30.00 4980.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

avm170 Call  20.00 50.00 4980.00
    xxxx Call  20.00 70.00 4980.00
    davelufc Raise  80.00 150.00 4920.00
    bonessfc02 Fold     
    Physcobob Fold     
    jthej Fold     
    avm170 Call  60.00 210.00 4920.00
    xxxx Call  60.00 270.00 4920.00
    Flop

avm170 Check     
    xxxx Check     
    davelufc Bet  135.00 405.00 4785.00
    avm170 Call  135.00 540.00 4785.00
    xxxx Call  135.00 675.00 4785.00
    Turn

avm170 Check     
    xxxx Check     
    davelufc Bet  500.00 1175.00 4285.00
    avm170 Fold     
    xxxx Call  500.00 1675.00 4285.00
    River

xxxx All-in  4285.00 5960.00 0.00
    davelufc All-in  4285.00 10245.00 0.00
    xxxx Show
    • J

davelufc Show
    • K

davelufc Win Pair of 10s 10245.00  10245.00

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited April 2014
    As played I prob fold the river

But I'm never folding this pre. First level I'm prob just going to limp a long but raising is ok. My reason to limp is it's very early and the more cheap flops we can see multiway the better. I'm never looking to play big pots with one pair hands. 

I'm betting more on the flop, about 180-200 to either take it down or get HU. Very wet flop. The only set we are worried about is 44. Can't see 99 l/c and same with 10s (and we do have the other 10). As played I prob check turn and look for a safe card and then check call to pick off bluffs and worse 10s. 

But I don't hate the call, it doesn't really make sense and does look bluffy but as said I prob fold as it's still super early. 
  • Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited April 2014
    never limping here or folding, iso raise 100% of the time, its defo not a snap fold either on the river, this is were a timebank comes in handy sky please :-). im betting flop and turn for value the same as uve done, my initial thoughts when he jams river are hes missed flush draw and you are ahead, just looks so bluffy and fishy, first hand of a deepstack though i think id just smile and muck and take his chips in a better spot. good call though!!!
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I wouldn't fold this pre - if you want to play small ball then you can consider limping instead of raising. If you do choose to raise though I would make it a bigger size. Making it 80 isn't getting any of the limpers to fold - much rather make it 120.

Would bet slightly bigger on the flop like 200ish. Turn bet is fine. Can consider checking and if we had QT I think I like a check but KT is just a bit too strong to be checking it back 3 way on a wet board. River I would probably fold but calling isn't bad if you have some good feeling/reason to believe opponent might be bluffing.
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited April 2014
    I would just be careful not to play results. Too easily done. People are more likely to bomb river with a made hand

Hope you run well
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Pretty mortified by this to be honest, though I'd bow to your superior knowledge rock, ivanovic, craig.

Surely if you iso raise K-10dd: hands in the 2 limpers range could include - KJ, KQ, A10, Axdd

Plus you've thrown chips away if the button/blinds get involved.

The most likely, positive outcome is that we get the c-bet through on the flop, resulting in a negligible gain in the 1st hand of an MTT.

Sometimes you lose.

Sometimes you end up in a 500bb pot with a pair of tens (can't be desirable)
    I think in MTTs of this ilk the early approach is to wait for a psycho to hang himself.

Out of interest, is K-10 a never fold pre in 6-max?????
    I tried to imagine from the perspective of 9-max where the first 3 were sat out which is the same??
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Head scratcher,,:
    Pretty mortified by this to be honest, though I'd bow to your superior knowledge rock, ivanovic, craig. Surely if you iso raise K-10dd: hands in the 2 limpers range could include - KJ, KQ, A10, Axdd Plus you've thrown chips away if the button/blinds get involved. The most likely, positive outcome is that we get the c-bet through on the flop, resulting in a negligible gain in the 1st hand of an MTT. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you end up in a 500bb pot with a pair of tens (can't be desirable) I think in MTTs of this ilk the early approach is to wait for a psycho to hang himself. Out of interest, is K-10 a never fold pre in 6-max????? I tried to imagine from the perspective of 9-max where the first 3 were sat out which is the same??
    Posted by ff55hh
    im raising because i want to be the aggressor in the pot and take control of it straight away, ive played a shedload of mtts on lots of different sites and peoples limping ranges do differ but most of the time its small pairs, suited connectors or  raggy suited aces. he will brick the flop most of the time anyway so we just take it down with a c bet if we can narrow the field with a preflop raise, were mega deep here anyway and have a nut making hand so i would raise everytime on a 9max table aswell as a 6max. 
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So its a long-term catastrophe that I'd fold K-10 pre without a seconds hesitation here and also even if the limpers folded??

Personally, K-10 falls below the cut-off of hands that I'd willingly bloat a pot with at his stage.

Is it a question of an aggro v tight approach or am I totally wrong here?

Kind of hard for me to argue with you since you won ~30x more than me but if you're doing that with K-10, whats the worst hand that you're not doing this with?? Or are our own cards not the issue here?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So its a long-term catastrophe that I'd fold K-10 pre without a seconds hesitation here and also even if the limpers folded?? Personally, K-10 falls below the cut-off of hands that I'd willingly bloat a pot with at his stage. Is it a question of an aggro v tight approach or am I totally wrong here? Kind of hard for me to argue with you since you won ~30x more than me but if you're doing that with K-10, whats the worst hand that you're not doing this with?? Or are our own cards not the issue here?
    Posted by ff55hh
    wouldnt say its a long term catastrophe to fold without a seconds hesitation, i allways remeber a hand were an analyst on here who dosent work for sky anymore critisized a player for opening K10 suited and made the 2nd nut flush and got stacked early levels against the nut flush, it was very results orientated and i disagreed 100%, hes a pro and won money live but i dont think his game would be massively profitable online in mtts to be truthfull, id be raising all nut making hands and all pairs, limping along is fine too i just prefer to be the aggressor. im a fairly tight player aswell to be honest and think K10 suited is allways an open, isolating is prob open for debate but its just my personal take on it, others may disagree.
  • Options
    bev60bev60 Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2014
    Suited broadways play brilliantly as an iso in position when your this deep I think. Hand just plays so well post flop. Kind of sets a nice tone for the tournament as a whole as well.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited April 2014
    I think in MTTs of this ilk the early approach is to wait for a psycho to hang himself.
    Posted by ff55hh
    Sometimes this will happen to you but you don't build a chip stack early by waiting for hands - you have to get involved. Besides, the best chance of you being on the benefiting end of a psycho hanging himself is by being involved in pots. So if you really don't want to bloat a pot then at least limp along.

Against 1 player I would iso near enough 100% of the time but against 2 players limping I'm more prone to just limping along with them. I think KTs is borderline strong enough to still iso raise but it's close. Reason being is that if you iso one player and c-bet it's going to be v profitable. But iso'ing 2 players and then c-betting is not going to work as well. Also we just end up in more high variance spots because c-betting and 2 barrelling is going to be more expensive than a SRP against one player. 

• Options
    ZIPPY146ZIPPY146 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2014
    hi dave,
    nothing wrong with any of your early plays.your 500 turn bet tells you everything you need to know... call and he has a  decent hand.with no history, you have got to tell yourself he has a decent hand  even if he is bluffing.Work him out and if he is a big bluffer you will catch him later on..gl dave
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2014
    This deep I deffo iso with K10s if I'm playing it, which I am ;) There are arguments for just limping along as well, but like Rocky says it's better to take control of the hand, and we have position on the limpers too.

Not sure I can find a call on the river mind....
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Head scratcher,, : Sometimes this will happen to you but you don't build a chip stack early by waiting for hands - you have to get involved. Besides, the best chance of you being on the benefiting end of a psycho hanging himself is by being involved in pots. So if you really don't want to bloat a pot then at least limp along. Against 1 player I would iso near enough 100% of the time but against 2 players limping I'm more prone to just limping along with them. I think KTs is borderline strong enough to still iso raise but it's close. Reason being is that if you iso one player and c-bet it's going to be v profitable. But iso'ing 2 players and then c-betting is not going to work as well. Also we just end up in more high variance spots because c-betting and 2 barrelling is going to be more expensive than a SRP against one player
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This is the reason I will limp along a lot of the time deep in early levels as on Sky people are rarely folding pre. Unless I have notes on them then that may change.