You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Overpair OOP vs nit

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited May 2014 in Strategy
Mugged myself off here.  Should I take a c/c line after my flop c-bet?

Villain is very tight based on what I've seen so far, but tends to re-raise big hands. This flop and turn therefore hit him pretty hard, but the lack of raise, particularly on the turn, made me think I might be good.

The river bet was a bluff / blocker.  I don't expect to be good here but thought it may be sufficient to get folds from 2 pair hands and possibly sets, as he'd have seen enough from me to think that there could be tens in my range here.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SBSmall blind £0.05 £0.05 £8.71
BBBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.81
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

UTGFold     
shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £11.60
villainCall  £0.30 £0.75 £11.41
SBCall  £0.25 £1.00 £8.46
BBFold     
Flop

SBCheck     
shakinaces Bet  £0.75 £1.75 £10.85
villainCall  £0.75 £2.50 £10.66
SBFold     
Turn

shakinaces Bet  £1.50 £4.00 £9.35
villainCall  £1.50 £5.50 £9.16
River

shakinaces Bet  £2.80 £8.30 £6.55
villainCall  £2.80 £11.10 £6.36
shakinaces Show
  • J
  • J

villainShow

villainWin Three 4s £10.26  £16.62

Comments

• F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited April 2014
    Flop and turn are fine - not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the flop must have hit him pretty hard? You're ahead almost always. If you don't think turn is a value bet then there is a lot of bluff potential to be had against this opponent. 

River bet is what I don't like. The only tens in your range are TT and maybe occasionally 9T or XdTd. But despite that I don't think villain will fold 2 pair to that sizing anyway - certainly not going to fold a set. So basically no worse hands are folding and no better hands are calling. If you're going to make a bet to get folds, try making it at least £4.
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014
    Yeh your river bet is pretty strange. If you wanna rep a 10 as Ivan said it's gotta be like £4 (Not that I like it because you don't get to the river with many 10's)

Against this player type just c/f river imo. Villain isn't calling with worse and if they bet your pretty much always behind.
  • DANDYDON87DANDYDON87 Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2014

Flop, turn is fine.

C/F or C/C river.

Turning your hand into a bluff on the river is terrible here IMO at 10NL.

• shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited April 2014
    Just to clarify my comment about villain hitting flop - pre he often seemed to raise the big hands (JJ+, AQ, AK, KQ) and call to flop some greater equity with mid/small pairs and suited connectors.  Therefore 44, 66, 99, 78s, 57s are all going to be in his range here IMO.

In retrospect, I think it should have probably been a case of check/call (at most) after the flop.  The 8 means that lots more of the hands he could have are even stronger vs me (88, 89 - even 55, 77, 78 pick up a bit more equity that I would struggle to get a fold from).

Thanks for the feedback.
  • KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2014

Flop and turn are fine.  River there is a case of C/C or C/F depending on villain and what you know about them.

Not sure what villain was doing though, as you farm for a set but then play it passive all the way to the river? Not wise at all.