You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

TP + NFD bad runout

F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
edited May 2014 in Strategy

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ajs4385Small blind £0.50£0.50£98.50
barbraellaBig blind £1.00£1.50£67.96
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

CharlieF29Fold    
XRaise £3.00£4.50£171.91
F_IvanovicCall £3.00£7.50£123.05
chesh296Fold    
ajs4385Fold    
barbraellaFold    
Flop

• Q

XBet £5.00£12.50£166.91
F_IvanovicRaise £15.00£27.50£108.05
XRaise £27.00£54.50£139.91
F_IvanovicCall £17.00£71.50£91.05
Turn

• J

XBet £39.00£110.50£100.91
F_IvanovicCall £39.00£149.50£52.05
River

XAll-in £100.91£250.41£0.00
F_IvanovicFold    
XMuck    
XWin £147.70 £147.70
XReturn £100.91£1.80£248.61
Villain is a reg at these stakes I believe but don't really have much in the way of notes on him. Pretty standard TAG reg but I think he can make moves too and may get it in too lightly sometimes.

I elect to flat pre-flop because quite happy for some players behind me to get involved + there hasn't been any loose opening from EP so I expect he already has a strongish range so don't think I can 3b AQ for value and it's def too strong to turn into a bluff.

Flop the world and decide to raise because it's not like I expect him to barrel with air so want to get value. Really confused when I got 3b since I block top set and don't think he ever plays KK or AA like this. I figure if I shove I'm only being called by better (I guess he might have JdTd tho or maybe any FD + gutter/SD) - and may aswell flat to keep his bluffs in. Turn isn't the nicest of cards I think it's best to just flat again and then the river comes and he tank/shoves. Guessing he must have a T or is just going for thin value with a set - can't see him ever bluffing.

Anyway, enough of me talking about it! Was it played well or butchered?

Comments

• CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited April 2014
    I think I play this exactly the same way. It's just one of those frustrating hands where you flop so strong but run out so bad! I don't think this is ever a bluff the way you have both played this and he can have so many combos in his range that your beating very few if any. 
  • freshfish1freshfish1 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2014

If you don't think he plays KK or AA that way then his only value 3betting range is the sets although QQ is very unlikely as you block it.
    I'm not sure what the min 3b generally means at this level but I would assume it's super strong wanting to keep you in with great odds or induce a shove looking at that flop. We're crushed by sets, more or less flipping with KK/AA, tieing AQ and well ahead of anything else. I assume Q9 is unlikely as he's in mid position and playing higher stakes. I think if we are happy to go with the hand then it's best to GII here.
    Turn is yucky. Now losing to a lot more hands like QJ, JJ and KT to name a few. We face a bigger bet and probably a likely shove on the river if you call. He's certainly showing a lot of strength here and the value of our draw have decreased a lot with only 1 card to come. I think if I'm pretty sure he's gonna barrel the river then I just fold here. Given the action so far it doesn't seem likely that he will be bluffing the turn and we are infront.
    The river just makes everything else get there and our hand is pretty certain to be crushed.

If we make up our mind to go with this hand then it's either best to GII otf or shove a turn that doesn't pair or less than a 9. If we want to play it slower then I like it as played but think it isn't beyond the realms of possibility to find a fold ott.
    Just my 2 cents:)

• RyanC7RyanC7 Member Posts: 355
    edited April 2014
    Prefer 3b, think we can credibly widen his opening range given super nit in sb and fish in bb. Probably play the same since our Q is often good and just hate life too by the river. Argument for clicking back flop? I think your right about KK/AA, range is sets and combo draws that we crush. By the river id be surprised if he was going for thin value with a set given your hand is pretty face up and it's such a good card for you to rep
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014

Agree pre is a flat.

Think the closest decision is the flop. Slightly in favour of 5-bet gii because A) the amount of combo draws villain could have that may not barrel all 3 streets on certain run-outs. B) you think villain is capable of gii too light in general. C) Not really expecting villain to have air a great deal considering this flop smacks your flatting range pre.

• ACES925ACES925 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2014

Def jam flop, especially with description of player. Turn sucks and prob a fold