You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

laptop / netbook specification for internet poker

TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 75
edited December 2009 in Community Help & Advice
Have been playing on SkyPoker for a few years via desktop PC.

Have been thinking of getting a laptop for some now, to allow online play from anywhere in the house (I have a wireless router) or even from the garden in summer months.

Just wondered whether anyone had any advice re minimum specifications( processor, memory etc) for any laptop purchase. I've been looking around and the choice is pretty mind boggling. 

With having the desktop PC, I wouldn't expect to use whatever I buy for much more than internet poker and surfing the internet. I have even wondered whether a small netbook would do the job and also offer even more portability. 

Any thoughts / observations would be welcome.  

Comments

• Options
    FishingPhiFishingPhi Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2009
    I've got a Toshiba Netbook and it's ok for sky poker but only 1 table at a time due to the screen size. Laptops are generally slower than desktop PC's and netbook are slower than laptops - this is obviously due to size restrictions. I think i'd probably look for something in between a netbook and a laptop - there are a few models knocking around with 10" or 12" screens.

You don't need anything fancy if you're only playing one table at a time but you'll need some hefty CPU and RAM if you want to multi table.

Just had a quick look and one of these should be sufficient:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?limit=50&ca140=10&store=5&cat=299&sort=pricelow&page=1
  • Options
    GavinxxxxGavinxxxx Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2009
    I agree with the above, if your only going to play one table at a time then any old thing will do, for instance i have a bottom end laptop in the house with 512mb ram and a celeron processor, and that handles one table perfectly, it can load up 2 tables but is jerky and can freeze up (not good for poker when your laptop freezes when you have AA)

i also have a dell netbook witch is 1GB ram with the Intel atom, again very capable of running one table at a time but useless at multitabling.

My  old computer i used for sky poker was 1GB ram with Intels pentium 4 and that could handle 2 tables max and run pretty smooth providing nothing is going on in the background.

And my current laptop is 4GB with a dual core processors which handles like a dream (just made the switch from desktop poker to laptop poker, so far so good)

To be honest i think as long as you stick with the laptop idea and not the netbook idea then you will be hard to find a laptop that doesnt cope well with multitabling these days as most bottom end laptops now come with 2 or 3 GB of ram and a celeron processor in most.

Just remember to focus on the Ram and the CPU when buying laptop (2GB Min ram these days i recomend, and the Celeron has proved to be very reliable)

Happy shopping =)