You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DYM Low Blinds?

belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Should I be re-raising for value or should I just call being worried about slow played q9/q10 or 9's that would not fold(I am discounting 10's as played)?
Any other constructive criticism on how the hand should be played welcome.

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
shaneybaby Small blind   10.00 10.00 1970.00
kayjay Big blind   20.00 30.00 2120.00
  Your hole cards

SPIDER_PIG Fold        
x Call   20.00 50.00 1930.00
belsibub Call   20.00 70.00 1880.00
shaneybaby Call   10.00 80.00 1960.00
kayjay Check        
Flop

• Q

shaneybaby Check        
kayjay Check        
x Check        
belsibub Bet   40.00 120.00 1840.00
shaneybaby Fold        
kayjay Fold        
x Call   40.00 160.00 1890.00
Turn

• Q

x Check        
belsibub Bet   120.00 280.00 1720.00
x Call   120.00 400.00 1770.00
River

x Bet   220.00 

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited May 2014
    Preflop is fine in my opinion. Probably raising 50% of the time but happy just calling as well at this stage. Others may advocate raising always here.
    I'd bet a little more on the flop and certainly the turn.
    River I'm raise/folding to around 600 as played. I think we're missing value otherwise. I doubt a player who is limping pre is capable of 4bet bluffing the river. Simple fold if he shoves.

Incidentally, why are you discounting 10's but not 9's?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds?:
    Preflop is fine in my opinion. Probably raising 50% of the time but happy just calling as well at this stage. Others may advocate raising always here. I'd bet a little more on the flop and certainly the turn. River I'm raise/folding to around 600 as played. I think we're missing value otherwise. I doubt a player who is limping pre is capable of 4bet bluffing the river. Simple fold if he shoves. Incidentally, why are you discounting 10's but not 9's?
    Posted by Jac35
    Limited notes on player  bets out sets on wet flops other wise check raise(but could change mo i suppose)
  • Options
    cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    edited May 2014
    Pre fine.  Flop fine.  When turn pairs the Q and oppo leads I'm doing cartwheels as it looks like they have just hit trips and we can get all their chips.  Am flatting behind too on the turn and raising to 600ish on the river looking to snap off any jam
  • Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2014

Yeah. I'm certainly guilty of the flat river call more often than I should, because I spend too much time thinking my opponent has the nuts, but on balance it's a raise.

• Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited May 2014
    Yeah. I'm certainly guilty of the flat river call more often than I should, because I spend too much time thinking my opponent has the nuts, but on balance it's a raise.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Big plus one!

But..... Depends on the player.  If have reads then maybe can be a flat. Early on I would also be guilty of a flat call and 90% of time gutted to see trips 
  • Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited June 2014
    Firstly what level is this dym?  I'm raise/folding the river ~650-700 unless I have notes that indicate villain is spewy and then I'll raise more.  You'll get snapped off so often by Qx and KJ.

Bet more on flop and turn.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Firstly what level is this dym?  I'm raise/folding the river ~650-700 unless I have notes that indicate villain is spewy and then I'll raise more.  You'll get snapped off so often by Qx and KJ. Bet more on flop and turn.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Using I.E.?
    Show fine in chrome & firefox for me.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited June 2014
    Firstly what level is this dym?  I'm raise/folding the river ~650-700 unless I have notes that indicate villain is spewy and then I'll raise more.  You'll get snapped off so often by Qx and KJ. Bet more on flop and turn.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Is this not identical to my post? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds? : Is this not identical to my post? :)
    Posted by Jac35

Yes it's very similar, I guess this is looking like the correct play :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds? : Using I.E.? Show fine in chrome & firefox for me.
    Posted by belsibub
    No I meant what buy in is this?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds? : No I meant what buy in is this?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Most of my games are in the microbes with the odd low.
    But i don't think as a rec i will be playing much for the near future.
    Can take the beats(been messing about here for 6 years) just sick of the software.
    Was looking forward to try & make 25 points(alot for me) a day for the cup freerolls & try & improve make a small profit to boot.But the 'new improved' software just takes any fun out of the game.
    Will probably play the odd game here and there and to **** with trying to improve so won't be posting any more hands.
    GL at the tables.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds? : Most of my games are in the microbes with the odd low. But i don't think as a rec i will be playing much for the near future. Can take the beats(been messing about here for 6 years) just sick of the software. Was looking forward to try & make 25 points(alot for me) a day for the cup freerolls & try & improve make a small profit to boot.But the 'new improved' software just takes any fun out of the game. Will probably play the odd game here and there and to **** with trying to improve so won't be posting any more hands. GL at the tables.
    Posted by belsibub
    Yeah the software is frustrating especially when having a few tables loaded up I find it becomes less-responsive, a bit somewhat 'clunky' in mini mode.  But try to over-look that if you're beating/enjoying the game.  At the micros you're doing very well if you can beat the game which has a 20% rake!

The other reason as to why I asked what level it was, was at the lower levels they're far more likely to turn up with some Qx KJ thinking it's the nuts so raising the river will always be the most profitable move, infact against some opponents if you know they have the Q you can just jam and they'll snap call you with there Qx.

If you keep posting, then with the feedback from others regarding your hands you'll be sure to improve.  Gl at the tables fella.
  • Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited June 2014
    I fold 55 pre-flop, but calling is NEVER good as this just brings in more players. i would fold or raise here never call.
    as to the rest of the hand... 1/2 pot than 3/4 bets are too small. if we play these hands or any hands bet bigger..get the max.
    it sounds like you have hit a low mate, trust me...we all get them.
    I drop down a level or even 2 when it happens to me.
    just play ultra agressive, especially when you play ANY hand on the bubble, and your results will improve...100%
    gl,

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I fold 55 pre-flop, but calling is NEVER good as this just brings in more players. i would fold or raise here never call. as to the rest of the hand... 1/2 pot than 3/4 bets are too small. if we play these hands or any hands bet bigger..get the max. it sounds like you have hit a low mate, trust me...we all get them. I drop down a level or even 2 when it happens to me. just play ultra agressive, especially when you play ANY hand on the bubble, and your results will improve...100% gl,
    Posted by devonfish5
    I would have to disagree with this.  First couple of levels it's perfectly fine to limp in with low pocket pairs unless of course we have aggro players behind us and we can mix it by raising them sometimes when we have other players whom we usually play against just to keep them guessing.
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM Low Blinds? : I would have to disagree with this.  First couple of levels it's perfectly fine to limp in with low pocket pairs unless of course we have aggro players behind us and we can mix it by raising them sometimes when we have other players whom we usually play against just to keep them guessing.
    Posted by DoubleAAA

massive +1

Raising here is a mistake imo, why inflate the pot at early levels with a poor hand to play post flop.  Esp in micro srakes play to hit set then take max value! I am happy to get it all in on river - got to be very unlucky to be behind, and as TK would say, if you are behind, if you do not go broke probably loosing value in long run

Gl

• Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited June 2014
    we only hit sets 1/7.5 so by limping in we are throwing chips away to often when we limp in, plus limping is a bad habit in any form of poker.
    by raising we are taking the lead and therefor the best way to play them.
    playing small pocket pairs is not optimal play during the first 3-4 levels imo and also John Connors too I might add.
    how you play is your business, I'm just giving you my experience of how I play them.
    I am posting this for belsibub, what he chooses to make of it is up to him.

• Options
    spinky6108spinky6108 Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2014
    Limp in here for me does not cost many chips if you flop a set could get paid big time then your sitting pretty for the rest of the game as chip leader with a big stack. If you don't flop fold lost a few chips no damage done.
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited June 2014
    The limp is fine. We want as many players in as we can, no need to raise. hit a monster v 2 players or hope for cheap showdown with no damage done. Its a +ev play.

The idea that limping is bad in all forms of poker is very misguided. Its a useful general rule for new players to never limp, but there are many situations where a limping range is entirely appropriate - even if its exploitable. (Especially if its exploitable actually, as being exploitable is what will win us the most money against the average player)
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited June 2014
    Definitely completing here.