You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

bet sizing when hitting set OTT after doing a check OTF

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited June 2014 in Strategy
On this occasion i didn't actually do the raise preflop but as played i thought i had raised preflop and it was very much like the way i would have played it if i were the aggressor preflop.

The player who made the bet on the turn is a well known reg and i think we both know each others game well, when i checked the flop, he would see that as a clear sign the flop doesn't have any use for me. When he does the bet on the turn i'm certain he will put me on either 10 9, 88 or slowplayed a top set, even two pair i'm thinking will fold a raise of the wrong size, because the card is too much like a brick.
jack100 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.50
reg Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £24.96
gmarsh Sit out        
  Your hole cards

a Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £44.08
craigcu12 Call   £0.60 £1.50 £22.51
XHOTLIPSX Fold        
jack100 Fold        
reg Call   £0.40 £1.90 £24.56
Flop

• A
  • Q
  • J

reg Check        
a Check        
craigcu12 Check        
Turn

reg
Bet   £1.43 £3.33 £23.13
a Fold        
craigcu12 ?
Q. what size should the raise be that will allow two pairs and flush draws the odds to call or should i just call the turn to allow the bluffs to continue?

Comments

• 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

In general, against a good reg, I think you get more value by flatting the turn and allowing them to bluff/value bet worse on the river. The problem is as played when you raise this turn you are essentially never bluffing. Zero bluffs make any sense and a good reg will know this.

Considering this is 20nl however, you may be better off just raising here against anyone as I'm not really aware of the standard at these levels. Anywhere between 4-4.50 is fine.

Depends really on how you perceive the villain.

• Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2014
    I think I stick in a raise here too, good board for two pair combos.  Also charge the AJ A10 who will call knowing can improve. As above about 4.50 seems good to go.
  • CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,804
    edited June 2014
    Q. what size should the raise be that will allow two pairs and flush draws the odds to call or should i just call the turn to allow the bluffs to continue?

Why would we want to give them the correct odds to call? We wont make any momney long term this way.

Definatley raising, can look like a bluff with equity and we have a lot of worse hands that will call or even raise. A lot of 2 pair combos as said. I dont think anyone here is ever checking a set and the only hand we have to worry about are straights which we have outs against.
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited June 2014
    Not sure what hand would semibluff the turn here... wouldn't we have raised the flop if you had a flush draw or a K / T and took a stab with the gutshot outs?  So in turn it looks like we slow played something far bigger if we raise the turn?

I'd probably pay off a set here with some sort of AQ type hand lol (if I was reg)... but do think hero folds out a lot of hands still.... so calling and then raising the river (which may seem more like a missed draw?) seems a more likely way to get paid here...

Unless we take the view of betting for protection, as any K, J or club is likely to kill action/spew over laptop as we've let oppo get their draw...