You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

England - What would you have done differently?

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
edited June 2014 in The Football Corner
I know its easy to say now but personally i,d have taken John Terry and Ashley Cole for Jagielka and Baines. Think Terry and Cahill would have been a much better partnership at the back. Also think Terry knowing its his last World Cup would have played his heart out plus its another threat from corners and free kicks with his arial threat. We,ve already seen in this World Cup the teams getting the success are throwing their wingbacks forward which Cole has done at the top level for years

Also don,t think Llallana got enough time. A few minutes at the end of a match when your 2-1 down and after all the praise he,s had from Roy Hodgson was pretty suprising for me

Also why Roy Hodgson was even talking about a draw before the Uruguay game was again suprising as we can now see it would have been out of their hands if it had been a draw

Another thing that suprised was the warm up games in the US before the tournament and why Roy played players that wern,t even going to Brazil. They were warm up matches for the tournament - not practise matches for some players to get their first cap and get international experience for England in the nxt few years 

Finally but more unsuprisingly we only seem to play in the first few minutes and when we are behind. This has happened in all major comps since 1990 Italy World Cup though (apart from the Euros with Venables in charge - at least we went for it then). To much negativity and not enough attacking for me but whats new

Ps . I could go on but might be here a while

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    edited June 2014
    Take the u21's with Sturridge & Sterling
  • Options
    Frank13Frank13 Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2014
    Took ashley cole, made terry play one more tourney, played Barkley more and welbeck less. ALso what did lallanna do inbetween the friendles and the wc to be dropped from the starting 11 for welbeck. 

• Options
    Frank13Frank13 Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2014
    Just like to add I didn't read the original post until after I posted. Insane how similar our thoughts were.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited June 2014
    Disagree about Cole.....Baines had to start and didn't play bad, one of the better players against Uruguay imo. Terry should 1000000% have been dragged into the squad and starting line up and I was anti Welbeck in the beginning but again he played quite well.

Can't really fault the manager, we just weren't good enough and not a great deal more he could have done...........just my opinion.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: England - What would you have done differently?:
    Just like to add I didn't read the original post until after I posted. Insane how similar our thoughts were.
    Posted by Frank13
    lol true. Probably because most ppl were thinking the same tho. I may not have started Cole but would have deffo took him for that extra option.
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited June 2014
    We all knew we were going to do nothing at this world cup as was said after 2010.
    Should started then no outfield players over 30 should have been selected from that point on.
    The main problem is the FA they are to worried about making as much money as possible from the premier league,sponsorship and pointless friendlies.
    There is a brief artical about the system Belguim adopted to develope young players on bbc sport website makes interesting reading.
    All Youth and junoir teams coach to the same system and no leauges set up for youth and junoir teams.
    The big clubs go on about there acadameys but most of these are full of non English players.
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited June 2014
    Shawcross > Jagielka

Forster > Hart

Every English manager avalible > Roy Hodgson