You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fold or Call the Shove???

CardiffAceCardiffAce Member Posts: 80
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hi All,

Started playing DYMs the other day & am curious about peoples opinions on below. I am still learning the game (poker in general) but please be as brutal as needs be. I've read John Connors blog on DYMs & watched some videos by Ross Jarvis about being tight tight & super tight - i think this is possibly where I am going wrong - have cashed in a few but bombed in a few aswel.

Bad call from myself? Personally who calls 3BB with 7 + 8 of clubs. He had been calling, raising & re-raising nearly every hand so i thought he was full of it
Bevred Small blind  25.00 25.00 3155.00
jasperirv Big blind  50.00 75.00 1855.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

igoturchip Call  50.00 125.00 1860.00
boatshoe Fold     
CardiffAce Raise  150.00 275.00 1450.00
mmmax Fold     
Bevred Fold     
jasperirv Fold     
igoturchip Call  100.00 375.00 1760.00
Flop

igoturchip Bet  50.00 425.00 1710.00
CardiffAce Raise  150.00 575.00 1300.00
igoturchip Call  100.00 675.00 1610.00
Turn

igoturchip Bet  100.00 775.00 1510.00
CardiffAce Call  100.00 875.00 1200.00
River

igoturchip All-in  1510.00 2385.00 0.00
CardiffAce All-in  1200.00 3585.00 0.00
igoturchip Unmatched bet  310.00 3275.00 310.00
igoturchip Show

CardiffAce Show
  • A
  • K

igoturchip Win Straight to the 8 3275.00  3585.00

Comments

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited June 2014
    I don't mind a bit of aggression pre,on the flop it's more player dependant but I am folding the turn villain leading again on a 4 to the str8 board & never calling the river,beating nothing.Still have 24 bb's on river plenty to come back with.
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited June 2014
    yeah, it's pretty bad to call the shove.

you are right to take into account people's previous actions, but try and put them on a range and be aware of how your own actions are perceived. you raise pre and he flats  then he donks out and calls you again when reraised on a super wet flop.

you are screaming strength and he isnt moving. you say he's bluff happy but it is hard to bluff by calling. and on a wet board like this its hard for him to have too much air. either he has a made hand or a draw.

when the draw comes in he bombs again. think of how strong your line looks. if he's bluffing you, so what. you have ace high. let it go.

finally there is the format to consider. you do not want to be calling for stacks with ace high in DYMs. chip preservation is key. you dont even want to take flips early on.

to show how tight you need to be in these games if this was the first hand and you raised 3x the bb and someone shoved and you knew they had 78s then you would be folding just about everything except premium pairs. ICM caluclators have everything except AA as a fold. and that's if you know he has 78.

the reason for this is that a double up does not double your chances of winning, but flipping gives you a 50% chance of losing. the chips you lose are more valuable than the ones you win and the difference is shared amongst the other players. everyone gains from the flip except the people flipping. even being a 70/30 favorite isnt good enough early on.

be aggressive but realise that AK aint all that in DYMs.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited June 2014
    Small flop bet + Small turn bet + Huge river bet = Nuts, or almost the nuts.

• Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited June 2014
    Raise slightly more pre flop, on flop if you think you can make him fold then raise more than what you did but personally I would say give up and let him have it. The word you need to consider is 'Preserve'.  In dyms it's all about survival and at this early stage we do not really need to do anything especially to call down with A high.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thanks guys, after sleeping on it I can see it was a very silly call to make. I think he reeled me in by calling & re-raising every hand before so I thought he was full of it.

Like you say Preserve is the no1 rule, I just thought I could pick up some extra chips. Thanks for the advice, lets hope I dont get caught next time!!! Enjoying these DYMs, finding it strange chopping bavk and for though. Found myself playing a bounty hunter last night and still being super tight! haha
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2014
    HI

Very bad call I am affriad.

Very few holdings he could of had that missed a draw that your beating.  If he has been extra aggro then best play is too tighten up and take advantage by increasing bet sizes.

What hand was you expecting him to have here? From my experience, people overshiving on that board are very rarely bluffing.  And certainly not with anything your beating with A high.

In a dym 1500 chips is a great stack to surrvive with.

Hope you run well
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Honestly I am not sure what I thought he would have. Like I said because of the aggressiveness i did wonder if he was blagging it, which not only turned out to be wrong but a very silly mindset to be in. I need to learn to let strong hands go sometimes, I try to keep hold of them that little bit too long sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback, assumed it was a ropey call but having other peoples thoughts will defo make me a better player (i hope anyway!) lol
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2014
    All you can do is learn :-)

In a DYM - treat AK AQ etc very different from an MTT or cash game - no one wins a dym in first few levels but you sure can loose it!!

Look forward to seeing yuo at the tables