You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Am I the biggest Donk! on Sky Poker or What?

POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

Hi Guys.
Last night I managed to cash in £1250 Tourny, however, prior to that I was subjected to a torrent of abuse from another player for a play I had made earlier.

SB = 50
BB = 100
My Hole Cards: KQs (On the Button)
SB Calls, BB Checks, All other players fold and I Call
Flop = 8,4,3,
SB Goes All In with 825 Chips
BB Folds
I have a stack of 3.5K so I Call
SB Shows: 3,9,
Turn = 6
River = K
So I take down the pot

Here is my thinking behind this play and i'm not saying its right, its just what I thought in the decision time I had.

1 - With only 8BBs left I was expecting him to push with any picture and already prepared myself to call him with my KQ
2 - Damage to my stack would be minimal
3 - All other players had folded so I presumed there were still plenty of pictures in the deck
4 - I did'nt expect him to have any of the flop - Just a picture
5 - Thought he maybe trying to steel the pot

I was consequently subjected to a torrent of abuse, this guy was good, he could type spaced out swear words quicker than he went all in and the only one I can repeat is Donk!

So "Am I the biggest Donk! on sky poker" or would anyone else have made this call? and I dont mind your criticism guys good or bad. (I am sure I will get some)

Ps: The abuse has been reported.

Comments

• Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2009

misread first post thats why this has been edited, should have raised pre flop,  you dont get the odds to call his all in and it was a bad call in all honesty

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    what I would of said is, if you thought your hand was good enough to call his all in on any flop then why did you not raise preflop? Its folded to you on the button, this raise could be done with any 2 cards, so KQ is more than enough, if he shoves you are commited but have still gone in ahead and he can have no complaints.

• Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Am I the biggest Donk! on Sky Poker or What?:
    what I would of said is, if you thought your hand was good enough to call his all in on any flop then why did you not raise preflop? Its folded to you on the button, this raise could be done with any 2 cards, so KQ is more than enough, if he shoves you are commited but have still gone in ahead and he can have no complaints.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Hi Flash
    Your right, I suppose being on the button I could have made the raise (I can now see this was a mistake) at this point the BB would still be in play and wasnt sure what he would do.

A More aggressive play with KQs may have seen him off.

Thanks for your comment Flashflush
  • Options
    COCASIRFCOCASIRF Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2009
    surely he's the donk as how can he believe he would even be ahead with lowest pair
  • Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited December 2009
    nice call imo you would have lost 25% of your stack if you had lost,so what.ive seen far far worse calls than yours and all people on this forum say is so what.well done for taking it down and hope you remain lucky.debs xx
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    It's a bad call in my opinion - you've just risked 25% of your stack for an outright gamble. The best play is to raise pre-flop.
    Since there was no pre-flop raise, your opponent could easily have part of that flop and you need to hit.
    You are about 3/1 to win the hand and this is the about the BEST you can hope to be.

Having said that, you are perfectly entitled to call and it's definitely not the worst call I've seen today (by a long way).

The most important thing is that you reported the abuse and I applaud you for that.

P.S. Very well done on the cash.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you got 6/4 and the worst you were gonna be was a 40% underdog, i think there is a case for folding and calling, and i wouldnt disagree with any of them
    Posted by webby234
    Pardon???

The best he was going to be was 25% underdog (if his opponent had ANY part of that flop).
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,217
    edited December 2009

Whether it was a good call or a bad call is not relevant.

You played with your own money, I assume, so you can do whatever you want, it's your absolute right, & it's not anyone's right to flame you.

Peeps need to learn how to lose a hand of poker, & if they cross the line of what is & is not acceptable, then I hope they get chat-banned.

If they did but realise it, losers can flame away with impunity if they did but know how to use a little subtlety. You are a ******* **** is not exactly imaginative, or adult.

A classic rubdown is a thing of beauty, & does not need to cross the line.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for all your comments.
    I know i'm far from a perfect player and as many of you will know who have played against me donking is something I would rather do with donuts or rich tea biscuits. (My favourite)

Glad to hear my play was not all bad from the comments I've seen so far.
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Am I the biggest Donk! on Sky Poker or What? : Pardon??? The best he was going to be was 25% underdog (if his opponent had ANY part of that flop).
    Posted by MereNovice
    i edited my post vince has i misread the situation, it was bad call i know that now lol
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited December 2009
    I have been called by far worse hands every day that I've played poker. I don't make that call tbh, and I'd be fairly sure he had a piece of it to move all in. His play isn't 'all that' either though. I wouldn't even make up the bb with 9 3 - and as others have said - your chips, your choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's a bad call in my opinion - you've just risked 25% of your stack for an outright gamble. The best play is to raise pre-flop. Since there was no pre-flop raise, your opponent could easily have part of that flop and you need to hit. You are about 3/1 to win the hand and this is the about the BEST you can hope to be. Having said that, you are perfectly entitled to call and it's definitely not the worst call I've seen today (by a long way). The most important thing is that you reported the abuse and I applaud you for that. P.S. Very well done on the cash.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Thanks Merenovice.
    Your right, I now realise that the best play here would have been a raise pr-flop as suggested by flashflush in a previous comment and I can't even explain why I didn't, but I sure hope I do in future.

Thanks. 
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Am I the biggest Donk! on Sky Poker or What? : i edited my post vince has i misread the situation, it was bad call i know that now lol
    Posted by webby234
    No problem. I think that we're all agreed that Trev is entitled to do what he likes with his chips which is the only important part of this post.
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited December 2009
    You played the hand very badly imo. But saying that, any abuse is unacceptable and well done on reporting it. Fwiw I would raise pre-flop. As played, I fold to the all in bet.
  • Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited December 2009
    plenty of abuse on the cash tables yesterday

i dont report chat abuse though, reasoning being it doesnt affect me and the sort of players who completley lose it in the chat are generally bad players or good players liable to tilt

and why would we want to upset them?