You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

This may be a silly question.

lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,107
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Is each card genuinely dealt randomly,or are the cards pre-determind before the start of each hand. And it`s just how players choose to play their hands that determines the winner. sorry if it is a stupid question.

Comments

• Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to This may be a silly question.:
    Is each card genuinely dealt randomly,or are the cards pre-determind before the start of each hand. And it`s just how players choose to play their hands that determines the winner. sorry if it is a stupid question.
    Posted by lucy4
    The deck is randomly dealt at the start of the hand and then the cards are dealt in sequence, exactly as in a "live" deal. Not a silly question, has been asked before and was explained on the forum. I think the post explaining it in detail is in Area 51
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    In Response to This may be a silly question.:
    Posted by lucy4

Not a silly question. This link will answer it for you fully.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3acfaa1e55-eeab-43ac-8676-fefda40c87ceDiscussion%3a7ec7cc92-558d-4717-9f9e-1d8708cbc2d2
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited January 2010

Both really. Despite what some people may think (see area 51 in particular) the cards are dealt from a pack that has been randomly shuffled before the hand begins. The next card to be dealt will not change no matter how the betting goes.

How the cards are played often does determine the winner. Many hole cards that would have eventually won are folded before the flop, plus more between the flop and the showdown, so often the person who would have held the winning cards if all players had stayed in the hand to the very end isn't the player who actually wins the pot.

We have all (correctly) folded 27 off suit pre-flop, only to see a 772 flop, and many similar hands countless times. It's all part of the amazing game that is poker, there are no silly question.

I hope this is clear!

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,107
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for all your replies i`ve just been to AREA 51 i wont be going back there again otherwise i will give up playing with all them theory`s flying about HAHA.