You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Omaha Open and the reason why not..........

BRFCdaGasBRFCdaGas Member Posts: 7
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Hiya TK, I asked you during a £200  guaranteed omaha tourn if there was going to be an Omaha open on tv. You said there wouldn't be one and I was just wondering why not. If its a tech problem fair enough but if not wouldn't having one a week add some extra interest in the new addition to sky poker.

Regards Rich (BRFCdaGas)

Comments

• Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited January 2010
    i believe its a technology issue, but i could be wrong
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2010
    I've copied Tikays answer from the Total Player thread which I think clarifies the reason, if not i'm sure Tikay will reply in due course.

To clarify.

Omaha hands cannot be shown on 865. We don't have the technology, sorry.

Someone who qualified via Omaha would need to play some NLH, too, & use of some of their NLH hands to send in to be Analysed on the Live Show, on Saturday, as we need a hand or hands to talk through, & we can't show Omaha.

But that's very different from "Omahs is not taken into consideratrion". It IS, please rest assured.

Personally, if I were eligible to be part of Total Player, I'd major on NLH this time around, as Omaha has only been here a few weeks, thus Liquidity is still quite thin, until it builds momentum.

It's also worth remembering that the Prizes are all for NLH Tourneys, & so "Omaha Only" players might not be well received by the Voters.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    Hi

I think I remember tikay saing its a software problem :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,217
    edited January 2010

Yes, & thanks Steve, Barry.

It's a Software/Technology thing - with the current kit in our Studio - which is a pretty complex bit of kit by any standards (we sit in an empty Studio & stare at the floor, if truth be told!) it's just not do-able for us a\t present.

Somewhere down the line, well who knows, but I doubt it.

Omaha is not deemed to be ideal material for viewing, either. The Big Boys over at ESPN, who cover the WSOP so incredibly well, almost never show Omaha, either. It's too complex to explain for the recreational/armchair viewer, really.

We must also remember that the Omaha Tourneys at present typically get 30 or 40 runners, whereas the Main Event gets 500, 600, 700 runners & more - so that's our "market".

By the bye, if it were down to personal choice, it'd be Omaha all day & all night for me, both to watch & play, it's by far my favourite discipline. I'm an oddbod, though, luckily nobody has noticed that.
  • Options
    fingers615fingers615 Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Omaha Open and the reason why not..........:
    Hiya TK, I asked you during a £200  guaranteed omaha tourn if there was going to be an Omaha open on tv. You said there wouldn't be one and I was just wondering why not. If its a tech problem fair enough but if not wouldn't having one a week add some extra interest in the new addition to sky poker. Regards Rich (BRFCdaGas)
    Posted by BRFCdaGas
    Its clearly because you support a second rate football team. lol
    OTIB
  • Options
    BRFCdaGasBRFCdaGas Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Open and the reason why not..........:
    Yes, & thanks Steve, Barry. It's a Software/Technology thing - with the current kit in our Studio - which is a pretty complex bit of kit by any standards (we sit in an empty Studio & stare at the floor, if truth be told!) it's just not do-able for us a\t present. Somewhere down the line, well who knows, but I doubt it. Omaha is not deemed to be ideal material for viewing, either. The Big Boys over at ESPN, who cover the WSOP so incredibly well, almost never show Omaha, either. It's too complex to explain for the recreational/armchair viewer, really. We must also remember that the Omaha Tourneys at present typically get 30 or 40 runners, whereas the Main Event gets 500, 600, 700 runners & more - so that's our "market". By the bye, if it were down to personal choice, it'd be Omaha all day & all night for me, both to watch & play, it's by far my favourite discipline. I'm an oddbod, though, luckily nobody has noticed that.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'd of thought the action hands in omaha would lend itself perfectly for TV, not being funny but a host of tptk hands gets tedious after a while. What really grated me was the WSOP 50k horse event going and being replaced by the Pstars 8game format (which I enjoy playing btw) with the televised final table playing NLHE only.
    As a pro yourself are you be happy with that level of interference, how can the truest test of a poker player be changed like that. TV and the big sites are great for poker but I love tradition and change for changes sake is naff. They could of just added it as a new WSOP event rather than change an existing one.

Regards Rich (BRFCdaGas)

ps We'll be the OTIB when you move to somerset (-_-) utg