You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

AQo line check 2

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited September 2014 in Strategy
I'm mentally preparing for some backlash on this one lol

Didn't raise pre because the button was likely to be opening fairly wide and figured I'd only end up folding his bluffs. Button is a forum reg... not quite sure what notes he'd have on me lol... or indeed what range he thinks I'd be calling with from flop onwards...

I think I'm happy with my play/logic until the river, but welcome comments.

At this point I was figuring that I beat a lot of their range, but with that range also likely to include some random aces or mid pairs, there was every chance they may shut down... hence my value bet which ended up a) acting like a blocker bet and b) drove myself to value town.

Is c/c river just a far superior play in this sort of spot?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shakinaces Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £30.83
RyanC7 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £19.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

JimiAls1 Fold     
scick Fold     
246Dino Fold     
buttonRaise  £0.60 £0.90 £38.93
shakinaces Call  £0.50 £1.40 £30.33
RyanC7 Fold     
Flop

• A

shakinaces Check     
buttonBet  £0.70 £2.10 £38.23
shakinaces Call  £0.70 £2.80 £29.63
Turn

shakinaces Check     
buttonBet  £1.60 £4.40 £36.63
shakinaces Call  £1.60 £6.00 £28.03
River

shakinaces Bet  £3.00 £9.00 £25.03
buttonCall  £3.00 £12.00 £33.63
shakinaces Show
  • Q
  • A

buttonShow
  • A

buttonWin Two Pairs, Aces and 5s £11.40  £45.03

Comments

• 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2014
    Pre - Logic for not 3-betting is slightly backwards.

If you know that the villain is opening fairly wide then you should be 3-betting slightly wider for value (including AQ.) It's not really a case of 3-betting will fold out all his bluffs because villain will defend with AJ, A10s, KQ, KJs, K10s, QJs, J10s etc so you are getting value.

It would be different if villain opened UTG and then you 3-bet AQ from the sb because the range of hands your getting value from greatly decreases.

Flop + Turn are fine.

River is a c/c imo. The problem with betting out is that your hand becomes extremely face up. Villain still has all the potential nutty combos in his range (55,66,88,79,A8) whereas you can't really have any (you would have raised at some point with any of these.) This is going to allow a good villain to play perfectly vs your river bet. (I.e call with AK,AQ,AJ, 2pr and raise with all his busted draws/better value hands knowing your gonna fold a really high % of the time.)

If you have ever seen any vids on capped and uncapped ranges this is a good example.

:)