You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

the joy of slowrolling

mmmchipsmmmchips Member Posts: 65
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Isn't it nice to know you have the best hand, then all of a sudden your opponent goes all in?
So, naturally you make him sweat, you make him believe you have to think about your decision, and think hard at that.
So hard in fact that you let the time bar virtually go to its end. By now your opponent thinks you are going to fold and they will take a healthy pot down.
But wait, he's called and what's more he has the nuts!
The feeling you get when this happens is so satisfying, it's unreal, it's better than scoring a winning goal in the cup final, better than getting your favourite star's autogragh, better even than the one night stand you had last Friday.
I have now been slowrolled twice in successive tournaments, both times with KK, once against AA and then with a set against the flush.
What is the reason for their action, is it to show how clever they are or do they get off on the equally appalling feeling their opponent gets when he sees the call after such a long time of waiting?
This is possibly the worst piece of bad sportmanship you can get at the table and is totally un-necessary.
Isn't it enough to know you'll take the pot down and not to rub your opponent's face in it?

Comments

• Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    Agree completely with you here.  I have only lost my temper twice at poker (once live and once online).  Both were due to slowrolling.

The online one was on here in a heads up SnG (FH v Nut Quads).  As the timer was going down the oppo was giving me "ty for the" & "wp" before calling.  I instata clicked rematch and said a lot of things I was not proud of.  I just completely lost it.

The second was live during a tourney.  The player on my right was the vilian, we were at showdown and I flipped my cards over (had trips with Ace kicker).  He flipped over one card to show trips and said something along the lines of (Bet you think you're good don't you, bet you don't want to see this, boom) and flipped over his FH card.  I had never played him before so it wasn't friendly banter.  I quietly asked him to not slowroll in the future, and as he was on my right I asked this while giving a little reinforcing friendly squeeze.  It wasn't his knee though.
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2010
    Yes, if they're doing this on purpose, it is very bad etiquette and very very annoying!
    Unfortunately, it may be a problem with the Sky software and not them being a numpty so just make sure that its their fault before punching them squarely on the nose!!! lol
  • Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: the joy of slowrolling:
    Yes, if they're doing this on purpose, it is very bad etiquette and very very annoying! Unfortunately, it may be a problem with the Sky software and not them being a numpty so just make sure that its their fault before punching them squarely on the nose!!! lol
    Posted by DiggerMan
    but u can bluff sum1 off a pot with nothing and then rub their nose in it by showing them up.poker etiquette or mind funk,no difference.if theyr lukky enuff 2 have the nutz(and havent been unlucky enuff 2 b skyfuched) and theyv ended ur tourney life,heck y not..RUB IT IN...especially if you think they think that theyr trapping you...even better..
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited January 2010
    Its a c***s trick.

However maybe they were multi-tabling.  Sometimes I ahve 6plus open so have been in a position where I have taken a while to call with the nuts.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    Its a c***s trick. However maybe they were multi-tabling.  Sometimes I ahve 6plus open so have been in a position where I have taken a while to call with the nuts.
    Posted by scotty77
    i think this is a point that many forget
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    Its a c***s trick. However maybe they were multi-tabling.  Sometimes I ahve 6plus open so have been in a position where I have taken a while to call with the nuts.
    Posted by scotty77
    Fair play, but it's a dead giveaway when they start giving you a massive rubdown in the chatbox though |:o(