You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Please help me!

CushtyNutsCushtyNuts Member Posts: 1
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hello everyone and an honest thank you for reading this post!

I've been playing poker for around 6 months now, and have gone from knowing absolutely nothing about the game (not even knowing the basic rules) to picking up some intermediate-advanced tactics. I only play NL Hold 'Em, though I have very briefly dabbled in PLO. 

Now.. this is my problem. I am NOT a winning player. Overall, I have invested around £150 into online poker playing in micro stakes (£0.01/0.02 - £0.02/0.04), including many tournament buy-ins. I have not taken away a single pound.

I find myself playing relatively well in cash games and like to think that I can exploit very well on other players' weak plays. 

The best I have placed in any MTT is (I think) 8th place, and the buy-in was miniscule and I only cashed for about £3. 

I know this is all pretty vague, but I was basically hoping that I could join the Sky Poker community and find a coach(es) to help me improve my game!

If anyone is willing to help me out in anyway that they can, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. I love poker and I would love it even more if I could make a bit of dosh from it!

Thanks again!!

Comments

• Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Please help me!:
    Hello everyone and an honest thank you for reading this post! I've been playing poker for around 6 months now, and have gone from knowing absolutely nothing about the game (not even knowing the basic rules) to picking up some intermediate-advanced tactics. I only play NL Hold 'Em, though I have very briefly dabbled in PLO.  Now.. this is my problem. I am NOT a winning player. Overall, I have invested around £150 into online poker playing in micro stakes (£0.01/0.02 - £0.02/0.04), including many tournament buy-ins. I have not taken away a single pound. I find myself playing relatively well in cash games and like to think that I can exploit very well on other players' weak plays.  The best I have placed in any MTT is (I think) 8th place, and the buy-in was miniscule and I only cashed for about £3.  I know this is all pretty vague, but I was basically hoping that I could join the Sky Poker community and find a coach(es) to help me improve my game! If anyone is willing to help me out in anyway that they can, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. I love poker and I would love it even more if I could make a bit of dosh from it! Thanks again!!
    Posted by CushtyNuts

Just by thinkinb about these things you're going to be ahead of the curve and you're right to think of the money youve spent so far as an investment: nobody starts as a winning player. Best way to gey something out of this community is to get stuck in. Post your thoughts on hands in the clinic or better yet put some of your own hands up. Rancid produced a very good mtt strat guide, and pokertrev did the same in the TPT thread. 

But get stuck in and good luck

• Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited September 2014
    Hi there and welcome :)

As above, I would add read the cash hands people have posted and also post some of your hands and ask what we would of done differently. Looks like you got a great attitude, I am happy to donate to you when ever about :) I have been playing 2 years...  Wish my record was £150 every 6 months ;)

Look outward to seeing you around
  • Options
    MITANDY117MITANDY117 Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2014
    Agree with above really.

Learn, read and study the game.............I drift around at low levels make a bit then take a shot at higher stakes.

Usually get drawn out against but am learning

Quite a difference as you move up though.......

• Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2014
    In Response to Please help me!:
    Hello everyone and an honest thank you for reading this post! I've been playing poker for around 6 months now, and have gone from knowing absolutely nothing about the game (not even knowing the basic rules) to picking up some intermediate-advanced tactics. I only play NL Hold 'Em, though I have very briefly dabbled in PLO.  Now.. this is my problem. I am NOT a winning player. Overall, I have invested around £150 into online poker playing in micro stakes (£0.01/0.02 - £0.02/0.04), including many tournament buy-ins. I have not taken away a single pound. I find myself playing relatively well in cash games and like to think that I can exploit very well on other players' weak plays.  The best I have placed in any MTT is (I think) 8th place, and the buy-in was miniscule and I only cashed for about £3.  I know this is all pretty vague, but I was basically hoping that I could join the Sky Poker community and find a coach(es) to help me improve my game! If anyone is willing to help me out in anyway that they can, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. I love poker and I would love it even more if I could make a bit of dosh from it! Thanks again!!
    Posted by CushtyNuts

Hello mate happy to help you out as its Christmas.  What area of your game are you looking to improve. If its just general tourney strategy then best to read strategy posts but if you want a specific areA you need help with just let me know. Speak soon and good luck. Danny

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,812
    edited December 2014
    Hello.

I would advise you play one format of the game first. Cash, MTT's and SNG's are very different beasts. Yes its played with the same rules but the strategy is a lot different.

I started off playing SNG's and concentrated on beating them. I suggest you do the same. The begging you are deep stacked (so plays a little like a cash game) and then as blinds increase you have to rely on picking spots and not just your hands. SNG's also give a good template for MTT strategy as there is a beginning, middle and end where you have to adjust your play, just like MTT's.

That will also make learnign a bit more easier and streamlined. Not too much to clutter your thoughts.

Above all? Have fun! Play relaxed and at comfortable stakes and never be afraid to make mistakes! They are the best lessons!