You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Re-buy strategy?

VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,061
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hi

Don't normally play re-buys, but played in a couple of the £2 UKOPS ones.

In one i had a well known reg sat to my left (he late-regged in not long before the rebuys stopped).

He was vey aggressive, open shoving a very wide range.
He got busted right at the end of the rebuy period and quickly topped up twice which gave him a stack of 4000.
He then took the add on of another 4000.

This gave him about an average stack of 8000.

Im guessing the open shoving 2000 chips was to see if he could get "lucky" and double up to 4000 then take the add-on.

Is this the sort of thing that happens a lot in rebuys (if you're rolled for it?)
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited December 2014
    Personally I'm quite conservative in rebuys. I used to always rebuy at the start (if it was cheap enough) but I actually think this is a waste of money in most cases. An extra buyin at this stage of a tournament in a big field isn't all that much. If I have good position on a very bad player and they manage to get a few chips together (or rebuy themselves) then I will rebuy if possible. (might even play a few more speculative hands to "waste" some chips so I can rebuy haha! 

I'll play my normal game but might take a few more risks to try and build a stack and only use the rebuy if I need too. If you're short stacked but getting close to the addon period it actually makes a lot of sense to just play super tight and wait to the addon - I witnessed this in the £55 rebuy main event on Monday. It was 5000 chips to start with and 10000 addon. Somebody was on 2k chips and it was clear to see after a few orbits their plan - they folded everything and blinded down to 600 chips before the addon. They were then able to top up to 10k whilst someone currently on 10k would only go to 20k - a 2:1 differenece in chips as opposed to the previous 10:1 difference in chips. One double up and the 10k is now in great shape and only at the cost of 1 addon. If we take your example with the player that bust by playing aggro then double rebuy + addon - they've spent 3 times as much as the player that just takes the addon. But they haven't got 3x as much chance of doing as well as the other guy.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Re-buy strategy?:
    Personally I'm quite conservative in rebuys. I used to always rebuy at the start (if it was cheap enough) but I actually think this is a waste of money in most cases. An extra buyin at this stage of a tournament in a big field isn't all that much. If I have good position on a very bad player and they manage to get a few chips together (or rebuy themselves) then I will rebuy if possible. (might even play a few more speculative hands to "waste" some chips so I can rebuy haha!  I'll play my normal game but might take a few more risks to try and build a stack and only use the rebuy if I need too. If you're short stacked but getting close to the addon period it actually makes a lot of sense to just play super tight and wait to the addon - I witnessed this in the £55 rebuy main event on Monday. It was 5000 chips to start with and 10000 addon. Somebody was on 2k chips and it was clear to see after a few orbits their plan - they folded everything and blinded down to 600 chips before the addon. They were then able to top up to 10k whilst someone currently on 10k would only go to 20k - a 2:1 differenece in chips as opposed to the previous 10:1 difference in chips. One double up and the 10k is now in great shape and only at the cost of 1 addon. If we take your example with the player that bust by playing aggro then double rebuy + addon - they've spent 3 times as much as the player that just takes the addon. But they haven't got 3x as much chance of doing as well as the other guy.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I didn't play the Rebuy UKOPs event but that is similar to what I would have done (purely because I'm spewy in rebuys and at 50 quid a pop it gets expensive!) Would have bought in last minute and got the starting stack of 5k, twiddled my thumbs for a level unless dealt a premium hand, and then took the 10k add on, giving a pretty good playable stack.

Mick, sounds like the reg wanted a spin up. I always rebuy immediately but think I might look to knock this on the head in 2015. As Ivan says, if a poor player rebuys then you wanna match their stack really, but quite often the case is you insta rebuy yet everyone else at the table doesn't bother so you kinda needlessly cover everyone.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited December 2014
    I always double rebuy at the start and play aggressively. I have found getting a big stack gives me the best chance of a really deep run. As with all these things there are different strategies. I prefer rebuying straight away so that the play is deeper and I can be aggro down the streets rather than just jamming all in pre but structures can change this. Just jamming any 2 because it's a rebuy is a bad strat IMO but playing draws aggressively is a good one.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,061
    edited January 2015
    Cheers guys