You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

don't be gentle

HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
edited December 2021 in Strategy

Comments on this hand please,this was a DYM and the BB had been very active, had already shown one bluff, how is my line here, I felt calling was the worst option, should I be folding to his turn bet as I also have another player to consider? on reflection the clickback doesn't really achieve much other than perhaps give the player behind a better price, I guess I should make that bet bigger if I take that line?

At least I folded and saved a few chips but I think I butchered it overall.

Ps feel free to destroy my thinking, I am here to learn, I won't be offended ;-)))

player 2 was the big stack, player 1 had approx same as me just around 100BB

History #868307542 (22:56 30/01/2015)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
1Small blind 10.0010.001870.00
2Big blind 20.0030.002945.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

HENDRIK62Raise 60.0090.001645.00
folderFold    
folderFold    
folderFold    
1Call 50.00140.001820.00
2Call 40.00180.002905.00
Flop

1Bet 20.00200.001800.00
2Call 20.00220.002885.00
HENDRIK62Raise 140.00360.001505.00
1Call 120.00480.001680.00
2Call 120.00600.002765.00
Turn

1Check    
2Bet 240.00840.002525.00
HENDRIK62Raise 480.001320.001025.00
1Call 480.001800.001200.00
2All-in 2525.004325.000.00
HENDRIK62Fold    
1All-in 1200.005525.000.00
2Ne     

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I will tell you afterwards what they had :-)
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited January 2015
    what hand, other than 33, would donk into you on the turn having c/c on the flop, unless he is already ahead.
    i´d prob fold.

ps i don´t play nhle dyms
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2015
    Fold the flop? Not sure the pot is worth trying to pinch. Gonna be tough vs 2 oppo's as well, to get them both off their hands.

Ps....I don't play DYMs ;)
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,317
    edited January 2015
    Pre flop fine, post flop there is no point in trying to bluff 2 players when you miss the flop. You had one attempt and they both called, that was the time to give up IMO.

I would expect at least one of them to have a big hand but if you post that they both had AQ it wouldn't suprise me!
  • Options
    Nuggy962Nuggy962 Member Posts: 1,104
    edited January 2015
    I don't mine the flop play, see people fold plenty! Right move wrong time.... Yeah got to fold in the end.

Ps I play the odd dym ;)
  • Options
    goodylad21goodylad21 Member Posts: 693
    edited January 2015
    Give up on the turn !

I play the odd DYM now & then...lol
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    cheers everyone, after the action on the flop it was a bit optimistic on the turn lol 

I actually would fold the flop against certain players, but often people c bet almost on auto pilot.

For the record, respective hands were 

player 1 showed up with A5o

playerr 2 defended with 103o

• Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2015
    I raise 40 p/f
    I fold the flop
    for levels 1&2 my general rule is if I get resistance it's best just to fold.
    I was going to post y'day but wanted others to have their say first.
    I did think that you were beat.

I used to be some kind of DYM player  -:)
  • Options
    ladyalbionladyalbion Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2015
    That tiny lead out on a really dry paired flop is almost always a small pair trying to find out where they are.  Given that I know I'm behind and unlikely to get a fold, I would probably call there, just because I'm getting such a good price to hit an A or K on the turn.  I'd fold if I didn't hit and there was further action.

As played, I'm check folding the turn.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks folks, its funny when everyone explains their own thinking and line, you look back at hands and its clear as day what you should have done.

I was playing 3 MTT's and opened this up to fill the space on the laptop (4 seems the right balance for me) I wonder whether too much of my MTT mindset crept into this hand, I am normally super tight in DYM's 
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited February 2015
    (Without trying to come across too harsh!) I think you've played this horrendously. We want to chip preserve and get to the bubble, not try way too hard to win every pot.

Call the flop, we're getting 12/1 to possibly spike an Ace or King and get to cheap showdown. Bloating pot with AK with your stack on paired + brick board is pretty bad imo, I tend to find players that min bet flops in DYMs aren't folding to a raise but that's my experience. Turn is a snap fold, After getting stationed on flop in both spots and after a player leads I can't ever see us getting any folds. It's a bit of a waste of 24bb to raise in this spot.

In general bluffing is a no no. You say you've already shown one bluff, we are now still in level 1 but we have half of our starting stack. Your line scream strength but vs fish in a DYM its an awful bluff line to take. There are potential +ev spots to bluff in DYM but not in level 1 against 2 opponents.

Thought I'd bold DYM because its not necessarily too a bad play in MTT. Not in love with the min raise though but can understand the argument 
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited February 2015
    Matt nails it (as does ladyalbion)

Don't understand those that are saying to fold flop vs a 20 chip bet. I mean I know we should play tight, but that's surely too tight! I don't hate the flop raise but I'd rather go much smaller (like 90 - would have been our c-bet size facing checks of which a 20 bet is effectively a check) - we're not folding small pairs regardless of the sizing so by raising we're trying to get value+protection from overcards (QJ/KJ etc, any back door flush draw connected hand lke 78/89 and ofc all the worse Ax hands)

Once we raise flop and get called I'm just shutting down. Turn min-raise is just really really bad. If we think villain is just bluffing then we should call - we're certainly not getting anything better to fold by raising. But I would definitely just fold - villains line is weird and looks like some sort of value. 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ''(Without trying to come across too harsh!) I think you've played this horrendously. We want to chip preserve and get to the bubble, not try way too hard to win every pot.''

Lol, not harsh at all I agree Matt :-)

point of order though...villian showed a bluff not me, I never show ;-))

and thanks also to Ivan, been away a few days, back to butcher a few more hands soon ;-))))

• Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited February 2015
    SHOVE PRE, OR FLOP OR TURN

P.S I DONT HAVE A CLUE!!

prob wouldve gave up on turn or flop TBH
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: don't be gentle:
    '' (Without trying to come across too harsh!) I think you've played this horrendously. We want to chip preserve and get to the bubble, not try way too hard to win every pot.'' Lol, not harsh at all I agree Matt :-) point of order though...villian showed a bluff not me, I never show ;-)) and thanks also to Ivan, been away a few days, back to butcher a few more hands soon ;-))))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Good man, just gotta let them get away with it I folded a set yesterday and guy showed 10 high and thought it was a good bluff. I wouldn't bother with it at all unless I think its more +ev to bet than say marginal, strictly villain dependant.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,317
    edited February 2015
    Kudos to OP for taking the replies in the way they are meant and not throwing his rattle out of the pram after a little bit of (constructive) criticism of his play in this hand. No ranting, no raving, took it on the chin and will improve as a result. Nicely played Sir (unlike the hand)!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: don't be gentle:
    Kudos to OP for taking the replies in the way they are meant and not throwing his rattle out of the pram after a little bit of (constructive) criticism of his play in this hand. No ranting, no raving, took it on the chin and will improve as a result. Nicely played Sir (unlike the hand)!
    Posted by Enut

Thank you very much, appreciate your comment.

I actually deal on a day to day basis with golfers of varying skill levels and those that have the most open, growth mindset improve by far the quickest. one of our overiding principles is encouraging players to step out of their comfort zone and make mistakes........FAIL (First Action In Learning).

Often players who have had early success and the inevitable accolades, ego boost etc...that come with it are loathe to accept any criticism, constructive or otherwise, this is the most destructive mindset for anyone wishing to further there ability, in any endeavor.

When I post hands here it is because I suspect I have made basic errors (some more advanced, but mostly basic...lol) that other people can help me with, this will obviously lead to critique. That is why I have posted it, taking offence at said critique would be counter productive.

If over time I start to eradicate said errors from my game, I will hopefully improve and consequently enjoy playing more, win, win.

As an added bonus, next time I sit on a table with anyone here, I can exploit the fact you now think I will play my overcards like the nuts, even in the face of obvious strength...LOL

ps. this post is longer than originally planned....apologies

• Options
    yuranASSetyuranASSet Member Posts: 485
    edited February 2015
    BB Very Active? We're still 10/20 blinds! Why are we trying to settle it here? Just fold the flop :D

• Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited February 2015
    Gotta call the flop bet its only 20 chips at this stage is fine.

Fold turn

AK very hard to play early in a DYM but very easy from levels 5 onwards