You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Overpair on a double-paired board oop

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited February 2015 in Strategy

My head has gone to mush this last week.

a) should this be a spot I continue to bet on the turn?

b) after checking the turn am I pretty much obliged to call turn and river because my hand looks weaker than it is?

oppo is fairly reggish at these levels / some nl20 and probably playing 6-8 tables at this point.

Not sure how many made hands he'd have called with pre that beat me, other than 22, 55, JJ - maybe A5/A2s but can't see any other combos of those cards in his range, especially from MP.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CraigSG1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £15.15
ALoc Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.57
3En3rgy Ante  £0.05 £0.20 £9.95
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

shakinaces Raise  £0.40 £0.60 £13.86
xxxxCall  £0.40 £1.00 £8.70
3En3rgy Fold     
CbetBass Call  £0.40 £1.40 £14.13
CraigSG1 Fold     
ALoc Fold     
Flop

• J

shakinaces Bet  £0.90 £2.30 £12.96
xxxxCall  £0.90 £3.20 £7.80
CbetBass Fold     
Turn

shakinaces Check     
xxxxBet  £2.20 £5.40 £5.60
shakinaces Call  £2.20 £7.60 £10.76
River

shakinaces Check     
xxxxAll-in  £5.60 £13.20 £0.00
shakinaces :/

Comments

• mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited February 2015
    Call! :)
  • Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2015
    As played, call river.

I'd bet turn, jam river
  • AMYBRAMYBR Member Posts: 3,432
    edited February 2015
    Dont mean to send like a twonk but this is simialr to hands i used to post a few years back.  Its great to think deeply about the game and break stuff down.  But in many ways poker is just far easier when you skim across the surface :p  Theres just no reason in the world to check turn.  We kind of only have a decision on river due to the weird slowdown, convincing oppo that his hand is likely good, which then confuses ourselves.

We ought to just be plain betting for value on turn.  We arent c'fing and if guy has spiked its just next hand please.  Spend a week experimenting with just how wide your vbets can get called while mixing it up with reps airballs and being comfortable vbing weak out of flow with appropriate board textures.

Play within your roll and if your decisions are too hard play lower.  But this is just  slam dunk spot for value cooler or no cooler

• watkin06watkin06 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    bet turn jam river , yup sounds right to me , if the kids hit his 5 or 2 that sucks ,
  • Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited February 2015
    a) 100% yes
    b) 100% yes
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the feedback all.

Fair to say that one of my biggest weaknesses is trying to make things as complicated as possible for myself at all times :)

FWIW

My thinking when OOP with an overpair on boards like this is that when a reg calls my UTG raise from MP they are never going to be super light.

Therefore they will call a cbet a lot of the time (as I'd cbet this board with almost everything) but if I bet turn I'm likely folding out stuff I beat (any overcard combo, a lot of mid pairs 66-TT, weak top pairs like QJs/JTs and cards calling with backdoors like 89s/T9s etc) and only definitely getting calls from stuff that crushes me (ie sets) and AJ/KJ.

I almost certainly don't barrel enough with weak hands, which means I'd expect oppo to take a stab if I cbet / give up (so happy to call turn). Which feels like it is something I should be doing more often, rather than just 'bet, bet, bet' and tend to take the pot down on the turn and therefore lose value from my big pairs.

Obviously against an unknown/non-multi tabler I'd expect to get called down way wider and therefore would be betting for value all three streets (and swearing loudly if they were playing pots with 5 or 2 in their range and bink)

FWIW2 the oppo flicked over 22 here for quads.

• mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited February 2015
    Ahhh unlucky, nothing beats 22 ;)
  • AMYBRAMYBR Member Posts: 3,432
    edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Overpair on a double-paired board oop:
    Thanks for the feedback all. Fair to say that one of my biggest weaknesses is trying to make things as complicated as possible for myself at all times :) FWIW My thinking when OOP with an overpair on boards like this is that when a reg calls my UTG raise from MP they are never going to be super light. Therefore they will call a cbet a lot of the time (as I'd cbet this board with almost everything) but if I bet turn I'm likely folding out stuff I beat (any overcard combo, a lot of mid pairs 66-TT, weak top pairs like QJs/JTs and cards calling with backdoors like 89s/T9s etc) and only definitely getting calls from stuff that crushes me (ie sets) and AJ/KJ. I almost certainly don't barrel enough with weak hands, which means I'd expect oppo to take a stab if I cbet / give up (so happy to call turn). Which feels like it is something I should be doing more often, rather than just 'bet, bet, bet' and tend to take the pot down on the turn and therefore lose value from my big pairs. Obviously against an unknown/non-multi tabler I'd expect to get called down way wider and therefore would be betting for value all three streets (and swearing loudly if they were playing pots with 5 or 2 in their range and bink) FWIW2 the oppo flicked over 22 here for quads.
    Posted by shakinaces

This was something I was very guilty of for a long time.  I havent posted here for a long time but was a very reg contributer, tying myself up and overanalysing spots such as this.  

With your thoughts on being oop and decent regs range: i'd rather b/f than c/c c/f as we really are only losing value over volume, plus leaving ourself in hero fld territory on river when we c/c or b/c.  Obv never c/fing :p

We ought to be betting for value until we are not :p vs good J's and 10's >