You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

UKPC final - question for Tikay

BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
edited February 2015 in The Sky Poker Tour
Hi TK,

I consider myself a good MTT player who makes steady profits at the £5/£10 buy-in level. However, I've qualified via freerolls into the £220 buy-in UKPC final on Sunday and recognise that I'm probably out of my league against these guys.
So what should my approach be? The only thing I've decided is that I won't be playing scared: that I'm there on merit so won't be pushed around. But are there any strategic adjustments I need to make when I know I'm probably outgunned?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this.

BB.

Comments

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2015
    Hey Bluster - I know this was directed at Tikay, but figured any input was valued.

Last year I got into the Sunday Final for the UKPC via a satellite and I had the same thoughts - that I was probably outclassed, etc - but as you've no doubt heard plenty of times, even the best players in the world are only dealt two cards, and they can only play the same actions as are available to you.

You're right - don't be pushed around, play the game the way you know how to play it, and try to enjoy the experience. For what it's worth I went to the first UKPC on the back of winning that Sunday Final by beating MattBates heads up, and we all know how good he is. Is he a better player than me? Sure. But maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

Just play your cards, mate. Raise when you have the goods; fold when you don't. The rest will take care of itself.

Tikay - over to you.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,478
    edited January 2015

Hi BB,

Firstly, well done for making Sunday's Final.

I'm probably - in fact certainly - the wrong person to ask about a NLH MTT these days, & largely speaking, Slippy's reply says it all anyway.

I'd just add a few strategic matters.

You are right - you must not play scared. 

You are wrong - you won't be out of your league. We all need a bit of luck, & to be able to pick up some hands, hit some flops. If you do that, you'll be fine. If you don't, you wont.  

The Final currently has 35 runners. It'll probably make between 50 & 55 runners. 20% will get a seat. 10 seats are guaranteed, it might make 11.

So you need to outlast around 80% of the field.

Here's the thing I'd be careful about. This is a SATELLITE, we don't need to win it. THAT is where we can find a bit of an edge, by THINKING, so many people play Satellites badly, they want to WIN, & we see Big Stacks bang heads with other Big Stacks when they are near the seat bubble.

So when you say "I won't be pushed around", if you are down to, say, 20 runners, & have a middling stack, if the Big Stack is pushing you around, LET HIM, unless, of course, you have a top ten hand.

At that stage, play cosy, play clever. Have the Lobby open so you can see the number left, stack sizes, etc. We only need to finish 10th or 11, that's all.  

Good luck, I'll try & keep an eye on Sunday's Final, to see how you are doing. 

Here's the field so far. 

a2bsmurf204000
    BChuckle4000
    BigBluster4000
    bod444000
    BrayCorp834000
    C2C20034000
    cityace194000
    eaturchips4000
    EBBERDON4000
    garner9094000
    GARY5004000
    gazzaluf054000
    Gut5h0t4000
    HANSON4000
    IH8PALACE4000
    IrishRose4000
    Ivey3684000
    JCordy4000
    kevster3674000
    kidgrimsby4000
    lyonsbob064000
    MattBates4000
    mogsy19574000
    selfy4000
    Smilodon4000
    stanic2224000
    StayOrGo4000
    SWFC64000
    s_hunter4000
    thebeat6084000
    THENUTS634000
    TommyD4000
    ttdbx4000
    Viking254000
    ZORRO12344000

• Options
    edited January 2015

Thanks guys. I think I know how to approach it, the rest is up to the cards.

• Options
    mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited January 2015
    Flop well Bluster, GL!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well I busted out 16th when 13 got paid. I was in BB, both SB and I had about 10 bigs, it was folded round to him and he shoved. I called with KJ. His rag ace held up.
    Maybe I should've folded as one double up would have done it for me, but I thought I was miles ahead of his range and played the hand.
    C'est la vie.

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2015
    Hmmm... unlucky.

KJ would be a use-all-of-my-time kind of hand in that spot, I reckon. I'd probably fold just as often as I'd call, given the opportunity.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Oooh, so close.

BigBluster016

Having played it, did you feel "out of your depth", as you had hinted you might?

I don't think so. 4 spots off a seat, ooooohhhh.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: UKPC final - question for Tikay:
    Oooh, so close. BigBluster 0 16 Having played it, did you feel "out of your depth", as you had hinted you might? I don't think so. 4 spots off a seat, ooooohhhh.
    Posted by Tikay10
    You're right, I didnt feel out of my depth. A lot of those guys I wouldn't dream of sitting down with in a cash game, but in a tournament it's a different ball game altogether.

• Options
    kyaden20kyaden20 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2015
    I'm in the same position I got through the semi ukpc in final tonight I got here this far for nothing so I'll play the tournament of my life
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm in the same position I got through the semi ukpc in final tonight I got here this far for nothing so I'll play the tournament of my life
    Posted by kyaden20
    Just play your normal game, try to relax, & ENJOY it.

Win or lose, it should be a great memory, & a milestone in your poker journey.

And remember, if you get near the bubble, you don't need to win the Satellite, just qualify, so don't go banging heads with other big stacks, keep the Lobby open so you can see everyone's stack sizes, how many seats are on offer, & THINK carefully before every hand close to the bubble - "do I need to play this hand?" sorta thing.

Good luck.

• Options
    Tanya22Tanya22 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2015
    Any big final is a challange, but if you have gone all the way to qualify you have the game! I've qualified for this Sunday, by the skin of my teeth, but every level taught me more, a little luck is always needed, but being careful towards the end knowing where you are, and being able to muck a good hand whuch may win but would certainly kill you, when you know others are suffering too. Play and enjoy as normal, it's a place needed, not a win, this time !
    GL to all  ( including me lol ) 
  • Options
    edited February 2015

The very best of luck, Tanya.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The very best of luck, Tanya.
    Posted by Tikay10
    tkank  you cu on the table
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TiKay, made it, now all I need is how to get there when ? et and guess I'll cu there ............tjanks for the luck
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    edited February 2015
    TiKay, made it, now all I need is how to get there when ? et and guess I'll cu there ............tjanks for the luck
    Posted by Tanya22

Brilliant news Tanya, very well done.

I recommend that you ask Tikay to set out a travel plan, with the best service stop off points and perhaps a couple of detours to see any interesting roundabouts.........

Have a great time

Neil