You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Confessions of a UKPC also ran!

henners10henners10 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in The Sky Poker Tour
I'm not one for posting usually but I need to put down a marker to stop my sparadic stupidity, and patch up my leaks.So this will be my flag of shame, a line in the sand to not cross again. Call it public self persecution if you will.

Having not bothered with qualifying on-line , I travelled up to DTD to play in a 50 quid rebuy sat, as I had done the previous year. I kinda prefer it as it gives me a feel for the venue and live poker , which I rarely play. As in the previous year , I won my seat with little fuss, no buy ins and just an add on. Incredibly I ended up with the character which is "Rastafish" sat in the seat to my left ,exactly as he had the year before. He was moved to my table in the latter stages , and livened up the table straight away! He glanced down at my chips ,which were quite plentifull by now, and gave me a long speach , about it being a qualifier , and not a tourney , with the hole theme of it being ,not to nick his blinds! He was all "Don't test with me blood, if you haven't got aa kk qq , just chuck it away blood , cus Ill shove". Slightly misheavously ,when I picked up k8d in the small blind , i just had to put in a raise. Rastafish called, as he does, I flopped 2 diamonds on an ace high flop ,bet out and duly hit a diamond on the turn and got paid off all the way. I did give him a rebate though, a few hands later when he put his last 10k in with pocket 6's. It folded round to my bb and I found AJ , and called. A jack flopped and Rastafish's shoulders dropped,with no help on the turn he stood up , but then as a 6 came down on the river ,he made a yelp similar to the kid who found the golden ticket to willywonka's choc factory! I couldn't begrudge him really .could I? 
The bubble burst around 2am and with one of the 20 seats tucked away I decided to drive home and return 2days later to play the final main event day 1 on the Friday. 
I'd had a good chat with myself,and I was under strict instructions that there would be no tripple barreling with air on day one, and no need at all to get too imaginative. The 1st day and half would be discipline,discipline ,discipline........I reluctantly agreed. I'd given away a strong position last year and ended up coming just short of cashing and wasn't going to make the same mistake again.

The 1st 4/5 hours was, as you would expect very tight and very hard work. I'd lost 20k of my 50k stack without doing anything untoward. Most of the damage was caused by raising with AK on the 4 occasions I'd had them and c betting a missed flop before folding to resistance. I'd then doulbled up with AA and going into the break I had good information on at least 3 players. One of the players across from me had what I'd call "trafic light face". His face had noticably turned red during a hand, and when it showed down, it turned out that he had it! later he started a hand with the red face, and by the river was back to white. He called a large bet and it turned out ,he had started strong but had ended up in a precarious position, hence red to white! Another guy was obviously raising a very wide range and was showing it, and another guy was always raising when in position. So although I had made little headway chipwise , I felt confident that it was a matter of time before I would gain assendancy. With the blinds at 600/1200 and antees at 300 I felt it was time to allow mysef some freedom, so I resolved that if any of the 3 characters raised , I would reraise with a very wide range, as it should prove to be an easy way of gaining 5/7k. The 1st 2 reraises got through against  "trafic light man" and "wide range man" without restistance. I caught resistance form the guy who freqently raised in position, in the shape of a call to my reraise. I'd got 78 suited and when the flop came A72 , I bet out and took the pot.  

Everything was going swimmingly! I'd quallified with ease, had shown great discipline and now had let myself off the leash ,but only in the most calculating of ways, and I was now starting to impose my will. .........

AND THEN I DID THIS

I looked down to find AJ suited and put in a raise of around 2 and half size pot. I got 1 caller , who had position on me. The flop cam Q66, and I bet out about over half pot. He quickly flatted. The turn came a 7. I then made a bet ,again in excess of half pot. Again I was quickly called. 
Up to now , although it would be easy to critisize my bet on the turn and to say ,I should have check/folded, I don't have that much of a problem with that, it's what I do next that makes me want to hack my head off with a big knife!

The river comes an Ace giving a board of Q66 7 A, and now for 1st time my AJ has some showdown value. I check it to him and he tanks for a minute and then goes all in. After he called the turn I'd had KQ in my head as to what he probably had, and just couldn't get the vision of KQ out my head....without thinking for more than a minute , I made the call, and he revealed pocket 7's giving him the full house, leaving me out the competition.......... feeling sick with utter stupidity! 

Headless Henners

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    edited March 2015
    Great read Henners

Oh well back to crushing Sky mtt's online as you normally do.

GL
    Mick (member of Henners10 fan club)

Maybe should have posted this in Poker Chat ??
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Confessions of a UKPC also ran!:
    Great read Henners Oh well back to crushing Sky mtt's online as you normally do. GL Mick (member of Henners10 fan club) Maybe should have posted this in Poker Chat ??
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick, hadn't got a clue under which heading to post, but it won't be the end of the world if not many people see my shame :-)
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2015

Nice honest read. Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,500
    edited March 2015

Lovely post henners, very honest.

Rastafish is quite a character.

His son is Gavin Tomlin, a professional footballer.

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    edited March 2015
    Great post Henners, and I'm sorry for your pain.......
    I'm sure it is something you will never forget, and will help you many times over in the future.

I know that the hands AJ and KQ do come out a lot together on SKY, and you may well have had this on your mind.......... one of my earliest memories of watching SKY POKER ch861(around 2years ago), was of one of the regular Pro/semi-pro's saying that he very rarely (if ever) had seen AJ win v. KQ

GOOD LUCK for the next UKPC
  • Options
    mewillowsmewillows Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2015
    very good post from someone who annoys me no end on the felt.  would be nice to meet you some day as long as your head is intact. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Great post Henners, and I'm sorry for your pain....... I'm sure it is something you will never forget, and will help you many times over in the future. I know that the hands AJ and KQ do come out a lot together on SKY, and you may well have had this on your mind..........  one of my earliest memories of watching SKY POKER ch861(around 2years ago), was of one of the regular Pro/semi-pro's saying that he very rarely (if ever) had seen AJ win v. KQ GOOD LUCK for the next UKPC
    Posted by MISTY4ME
     Yeah your right , I will use it to help me , as making daft 20% chance of success calls is a weekly habit ,that I do in comps I don't care about. Now that it's run into a comp I did care about greatly , it's time to care all the time and change the habit. It's probably the best thing that could have happened. What recovering users call a "moment of clarity".

• Options
    edited March 2015
    very good post from someone who annoys me no end on the felt.  would be nice to meet you some day as long as your head is intact. :)
    Posted by mewillows
    That would be good, and I'm sure we will one day. You've given me, my fair share of feeling around in the dark, on the tables as well, but it's always fun.
  • Options
    MilitantGMilitantG Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Nice insight, we've all been there. Discipline and patience are wonderful traits to have.
  • Options
    S7NS7N Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Nice read, Thanks