You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

AKo on the bubble of an MTT

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Stone cold bubble, 12 left, 11 paid.

Shallow stacks all round, the average is no more than 15bb.

Sat with just under 10bb on the button, probably about 8th of 12.

Folds to the cut-off who raises nearly 3x from a similar size stack (may just cover him) after not playing a hand for about 3 orbits... cut-off has made some comment about not wanting to bust this close to the cash, but not sure how much trust you can put in comments made at a poker table!

What would be the right play from this point, call, raise (all-in) or fold?

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited March 2015
    In Response to AKo on the bubble of an MTT:
    Stone cold bubble, 12 left, 11 paid. Shallow stacks all round, the average is no more than 15bb. Sat with just under 10bb on the button, probably about 8th of 12. Folds to the cut-off who raises nearly 3x from a similar size stack (may just cover him) after not playing a hand for about 3 orbits... cut-off has made some comment about not wanting to bust this close to the cash, but not sure how much trust you can put in comments made at a poker table! What would be the right play from this point, call, raise (all-in) or fold?
    Posted by shakinaces
    I am going all in.
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited March 2015
    I folded AKs on the bubble recently. It was against a player who shoved all-in preflop with any pocket pair and I didn't want to take a flip (I was in 4th or 5th place and he was the big stack). 
    Assuming that making the money isn't worth hundreds, in the situation you've described I think you've got to shove on him here. If he was the huge big stack you could consider folding (not saying this is correct) but against a player who's been playing timidly and could still limp into the money if he folds, it's a shove.

• Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited March 2015
    never a call
    depends on the status of the small stacks 
    if they are very small it's a fold imho
    if similar to you then I'd probably shove

edit
    oops assumed it was a sat
    if it's a mtt more likely a shove regardless
  • Options
    bearlytherbearlyther Member Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2015
    very easy shove
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2015
    Sat bubble - easy fold.
    MTT bubble - easy shove unless you've either a), Satted in and the Min cash is a big deal to you or b), your very low and have little chance of progressing further.
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited March 2015
    Cool, thank you for the responses.

This was from the fake-SPT at the weekend... stupid thing is I'd have not even noticed other actions if it was in a £2 BH game online, I'd have almost certainly made my mind up to shove even if everyone in front of me had already gone all in.

Never taken so long to make a decision pre-flop before... but not insta-shoving led to me just totally convince myself that the shaking hand that pushed in chips before me was a sign KK or AA and make (what I thought at the time and have had confirmed here) was a super weak fold.  He didn't show but said he was definitely calling if I had shoved.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: AKo on the bubble of an MTT:
    Cool, thank you for the responses. This was from the fake-SPT at the weekend... stupid thing is I'd have not even noticed other actions if it was in a £2 BH game online, I'd have almost certainly made my mind up to shove even if everyone in front of me had already gone all in. Never taken so long to make a decision pre-flop before... but not insta-shoving led to me just totally convince myself that the shaking hand that pushed in chips before me was a sign KK or AA and make (what I thought at the time and have had confirmed here) was a super weak fold.  He didn't show but said he was definitely calling if I had shoved.
    Posted by shakinaces
    A poker player has never ever lied!

I think its worth mentioning in the OP that its live as opposed to online as people play a lot differently live v online. Also the fact that its live (presumably with antes) means unless we have a ninja read that this guy only raises with AA/KK with the added bonus of the antes I am shoving and trying to get into the best possible position to win the tournament.