You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Case FOR Teams

EyemanEyeman Member Posts: 1,039
edited April 2015 in Team Talk
OK, having started a little discussion on the case against teams, much of it as a devil's advocate. let's look at the case FOR teams.
Others have said on the other thread, the best thing is the cameraderie and the sense of belonging. 
However, as poker players, it can be more than that. Can any of us say that we have improved as players from being in teams?
I suspect for a great many of us the answer is "yes". Discussing hands, and even "holding hands" whether figuratively or literally is a great way to improve ones game, and to learn from players who are (if not better) more developed in their play.
Ask me if I'd have ever even thought of entering a UKIPT event a couple of years ago, and I'd have said "you what?", but last year 7 of us from a single team went to Marbella and played that event and some sides. One team member won the high roller event (Neil Strike - Joesman to us) for a cool 35,000 Euro and another came 3rd in the turbo side event (Those of us who know Ulrich - Giant are still wondering how the heck that can happen) - the team spirit was great, and we all got a slap up meal on the last night courtesy of Neil!
I love being part of a team, as well as part of a community of teams - long may it continue.
Anyone for the EPT Barcelona this year?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524
    edited January 2015

In a strange comment upon the times we live in, the case AGAINST the Teams rattled up 39 replies in no time, much of it was not very pleasant reading, & we saw some people being proper nasty & snidey to each other. We seem to like nasty & snidey. 

Then the same guy - Graham - starts another thread, the case FOR Teams, & 14 hours later, it's Tumbleweed City. Maybe Nicey Wicey is out of fashion.

Much to absorb for students of human behaviour.

Have a good weekend.
  • Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: The Case FOR Teams:
    In a strange comment upon the times we live in, the case AGAINST the Teams rattled up 39 replies in no time, much of it was not very pleasant reading, & we saw some people being proper nasty & snidey to each other. We seem to like nasty & snidey.  Then the same guy - Graham - starts another thread, the case FOR Teams, & 14 hours later, it's Tumbleweed City. Maybe Nicey Wicey is out of fashion. Much to absorb for students of human behaviour. Have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    TBF it took me 4 days to reply to the other one - i'm a bit busy but will reply.

And as per it will be a constructive reply unlike some others I have seen.

I never see the need to shoot people who just want a constructive debate, but like you say that just seams to be the nature of the beast these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In a strange comment upon the times we live in, the case AGAINST the Teams rattled up 39 replies in no time, much of it was not very pleasant reading, & we saw some people being proper nasty & snidey to each other. We seem to like nasty & snidey.  Then the same guy - Graham - starts another thread, the case FOR Teams, & 14 hours later, it's Tumbleweed City. Maybe Nicey Wicey is out of fashion. Much to absorb for students of human behaviour. Have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    In fairness, people tend to reply to things they disagree with, more than when we agree. Also it is sad human nature to get indignant and perhaps use language we might regret in moments of disagreement. 
    The keyboard warrior is an unfortunate 21st century consequence of this.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    In fairness, people tend to reply to things they disagree with, more than when we agree. Also it is sad human nature to get indignant and perhaps use language we might regret in moments of disagreement. 
    The keyboard warrior is an unfortunate 21st century consequence of this.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Most people, myself included, would just be repeating what was said in the other thread. We put our cases forward there.

:)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Most enlightening and carefully reasoned addition to the debate. Congratulations.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,149
    edited January 2015
    I like the teams, met some great folks and learned lots, looking forward to the Newcastle trip......going to be great fun trying to spot  who's who.....

• Options
    SlykllistSlykllist Member Posts: 2,888
    edited January 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    So it falls to me to be nicey wicey..... who'd have thunk it.

Being a member of a team has been a great experience for me in may ways, firstly from a poker point of view it helped me bring on my game a massive amount, it's great to have like minded people around you who you can bounce ideas off of and get help with problem areas of your game.  There have been 2 or 3 occasions when I've really struggled with certain aspects of my game and it's always been my HitSquad team mates that have helped me work them out. If I hadn't joined a team, I may still have been playing poker now but I'm pretty sure my game would not have progressed anywhere near as far as it has now.

Also, my live poker experience, I've been lucky enough to have some great results live and some fantastic experiences travelling around the country to various tournaments, a lot of the time with my trusty HitSquad team mates.  I'm 100% this would not have happened had I not joined a team and subsequently become desperate to play in an SPT, making the trip up to Newcastle in 2012 (I think) for my first one where I was welcomed with open arms by my team mates (whom I had never met before) and being introduced to the famous and fantastic Sky Poker Community.

Personally, being in a team has been great for me too, I've met a lot of great people who I now consider real friends and when I've had tough times personally I've had a bunch of support from some really good people in the team. 

Yeah, there are trials and tribulations, there are ups and downs and the inevitable bickering and ridiculous politics every now and again.  But for me the benefits MASSIVELY outweigh the negatives.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524
    edited January 2015
    Most enlightening and carefully reasoned addition to the debate. Congratulations.
    Posted by Eyeman

For those who wonder what that post refers to, there was a post that was so "enlightening and reasoned" the Mods were obliged to remove it. 

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2015
    I see the OP is trying to create a bit of balance with 2 threads now.

I consider myself a neutral on this debate. I am not and never have been in a team. That does not mean I am "anti-teams" as such. I have always considered myself a team player. My successes in competitive games/sports were mainly in the individual pursuits of chess and table tennis, I played other sports but not regularly or competitively such as football and golf.

I always found that I raised my game when in a team event, there is a lot to be said for the positive impact playing in a team can have for motivation, support etc. 

The only reason I have not tried to join a team on Sky is that I dont feel able to do my bit for the team, I rarely have the time to play in the team league based events.

In terms of the social aspects, interaction on the forum, railing and being railed I think that can be achieved just by being active in the sky community in general. Although, clearly being in a specific team will help forge closer ties with that group of people.

There was a team event about a year or so ago where players were put in random teams with presenter captains - I really enjoyed that - in fact it is why I have a purple avatar. However I found on the tables that most players were oblivious to the team aspect and essentially playing freerolls for themselve. By being in a team of volunteers rather than conscripts then all the positive aspects of team life are bound to have more of an effect.

+1 for teams imo.
  • Options
    HITMAN_RVHITMAN_RV Member Posts: 8,688
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: The Case FOR Teams : Most people, myself included, would just be repeating what was said in the other thread. We put our cases forward there. :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Agreed again....FMOB's Jon, what is going on!!

Excellent Post too Trev, ......again, +1 to that...

Little Point... just to add to this case that i had already made in first thread!!

A POSITIVE PIECE OF EVIDENCE!!
    Forum DTD Battle Tonight!!

There will Probably be Record Numbers in DTD 1,2,3 due to the Fact the Forum DTD Team League is set for its Closest Finish Ever with FOUR Teams Capable of Snatching Jan Title... Dragons, Outlaws, Hitsquad & Poker Titans...

The Threads & Forums are Buzzing withg this Possibility, Many players are playing DTD tonight, for the First Time for a long time or Debuting because of this!!

Well Done to Jono, Dragons, for taking over The Team League i starting & Freshening it Up with a New Structure!

In fact, I feel, The Forum DTD & ALL Teams are in a New Fresh Era!!

I do agree that Disputes aired Publically are Bad for Team Publicity, we in HitSquad strive to keep issues sorted fairly in-house, as I KNOW others do, but sometimes this proves impossible, fact of Cyber Life!

Good Luck ALL Teams, Live Long & Prosper..[Team Klingon taught me that, but they can be Dirty, Skiddy sods]

GL ALL TEAMS TONIGHT!!

X
  • Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited January 2015
    Hi Eyeman.

My case for the teams................

1. It promotes a safe social environment for online players old & new.

2. It reduces the probability of chatbox or forum abuse. We see very few isolated incidents these days compared to two or three years ago as most team players comply to the rules.

3. Players have a social group of like minded friends who can support them in improving their game or supporting them with issues of a more personal nature.

4. It gives players a chance to compete & play poker at almost every level, not just as individuals but as a group of friends or team mates for a chance to earn bragging rights or a bit of pride & glory.

5. Teams have a vast experience in all levels & aspects of poker from S&Gs, DYMs, MTTs & Cash games. Team mates always try to offer help & advice to others to help improve their game.  

Fun & Banter.....Lots of Fun & Banter.

7. Live events are always a factor in the teams too - I have see many team players make arrangements with other team players who may not yet have attended a live event & feel a little out of their depth, but teams are a way to break these barriers & give other players who may well not have even contemplated playing in a live event a chance to experience it for themselves. It's so much easier to go and do when you know there are others who will help you out & take you under their wing.

8. Monday nights are like having a get together down our local - I look forward to it every week.

9. Teams promote all what is good about the Sky Poker Platform and encourages more people to come & play & join the site. OK it can also have the opposite affect as has been seen in the past, but this is always down to a small minority of narrow minded individuals who lets face it, probably would never be happy even if they won the lotto.

I could go on with the positives but I think you get my jist :)

All in all I think the teams and the players that are in these teams, many of them who spend a lot of their own personal time promoting tournaments, running leagues, updating league tables such as DTD, Friday Orfordable 2.20@2.20, Team leagues etc etc, have had a positive impact in many ways and made the site a much more enjoyable experience imo.  
  • Options
    joesman1joesman1 Member Posts: 2,053
    edited January 2015
    Eyeman..... 

Big up to Grah Bags. He inadvertently forgot to mention his top effort in the main event in Marbella. Only losers like myself got to play the High Roller. Thanks again or the €600 mate. 
  • Options
    HITMAN_RVHITMAN_RV Member Posts: 8,688
    edited January 2015
    Hi Eyeman. My case for the teams................ 1. It promotes a safe social environment for online players old & new. 2. It reduces the probability of chatbox or forum abuse. We see very few isolated incidents these days compared to two or three years ago as most team players comply to the rules. 3. Players have a social group of like minded friends who can support them in improving their game or supporting them with issues of a more personal nature. 4. It gives players a chance to compete & play poker at almost every level, not just as individuals but as a group of friends or team mates for a chance to earn bragging rights or a bit of pride & glory. 5. Teams have a vast experience in all levels & aspects of poker from S&Gs, DYMs, MTTs & Cash games. Team mates always try to offer help & advice to others to help improve their game.   6. Fun & Banter.....Lots of Fun & Banter. 7. Live events are always a factor in the teams too - I have see many team players make arrangements with other team players who may not yet have attended a live event & feel a little out of their depth, but teams are a way to break these barriers & give other players who may well not have even contemplated playing in a live event a chance to experience it for themselves. It's so much easier to go and do when you know there are others who will help you out & take you under their wing. 8. Monday nights are like having a get together down our local - I look forward to it every week. 9. Teams promote all what is good about the Sky Poker Platform and encourages more people to come & play & join the site. OK it can also have the opposite affect as has been seen in the past, but this is always down to a small minority of narrow minded individuals who lets face it, probably would never be happy even if they won the lotto. I could go on with the positives but I think you get my jist :) All in all I think the teams and the players that are in these teams, many of them who spend a lot of their own personal time promoting tournaments, running leagues, updating league tables such as DTD, Friday Orfordable 2.20@2.20, Team leagues etc etc, have had a positive impact in many ways and made the site a much more enjoyable experience imo.  
    Posted by POKERTREV

Boom!!!

What HE SAID!!!

...but better than I Did!!

just for the Kids..

"RESPECT TREV, YOU DA MAN!!!"

LOL!! X

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Eyeman.....  Big up to Grah Bags. He inadvertently forgot to mention his top effort in the main event in Marbella. Only losers like myself got to play the High Roller. Thanks again or the €600 mate. 
    Posted by joesman1
    This should be in the case against teams!
  • Options
    tomo_efctomo_efc Member Posts: 716
    edited April 2015
    I AM FOR TEAMS, why i have just asked for new members.....and have had a good response so it's clear there are still people interested in joining teams. I hope sky don't take the AGAINST as a show of hands, "no there the wrong words" as an indecator for what people want.
  • Options
    churchy18churchy18 Member Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2015
    When i first joined i as a new player had no real experience of any sort of poker forums/communitys and was wary of the team aspect as never really understood it too start with as we all know poker is an indvidual game so having teams seemed strange too me and im sure other's have maybe felt the same..

But then i started having a read through some of the threads and posts and realised it is a way too build friendships and also try and improve your game by asking other team mates for help and advice and also the banter and fun that goes along with it

Also it is a great way for people like me who has no friends that play poker too get some help and understand the game better and try and learn and improve.

Really feel the teams are a plus after all  has been said even if there are no teams on the forum there is plenty of other social media site's where people will still create them anyway.

• Options
    LmfaoAllinLmfaoAllin Member Posts: 1,211
    edited April 2015
    Im new to sky poker, the forum and teams having recently joined a team a few months after signing up with sky.
    I don't have a lot more to add to what the op, trev, slykilist(greatname), and the rest have already said, and said very well. but felt compelled to add my voice to the 'nicey wicey' or decent folk count, maybe we are just more passive and, in my case anyway, will read a lot more than we post, could it be that we out weigh the 'trolls' but as the bile in their bellies spews out onto numorous posts it can cloud our general view of the forum 'population'.

Having recently started reading various diaries and such it struck me, as with all the teams pages, how many people come forward to wish well, congratulate or indeed console through various trials and tribulations on and off the felt, in my humble opinion id say the vast majority of people here are kind decent folk, as for the rest of them, may I compare them to clouds, when they f off it turns into a nice day!!

• Options
    Ice_TigerIce_Tiger Member Posts: 1,533
    edited April 2015
    SKY Poker had two outstanding USPs - the TV Channel and the Teams.

Now that the TV Channel has gone then the Teams is Sky Poker's USP.

While there isn't much in the way of competitions team wise (it is merely a bolt on to DTD), the team aspect adds so much to that event. It creates friendship groups. It provides forums for analysing hands and opportunities for improvement. More importantly, it provides a reason for players to show continued loyalty to the site. If the small fish go away then there is nothing for the larger fish to feed on.

Without the Teams, SKY Poker could be in danger of becoming just another small poker site.
  • Options
    crackedcracked Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2015
    SKY Poker had two outstanding USPs - the TV Channel and the Teams. Now that the TV Channel has gone then the Teams is Sky Poker's USP. While there isn't much in the way of competitions team wise (it is merely a bolt on to DTD), the team aspect adds so much to that event. It creates friendship groups. It provides forums for analysing hands and opportunities for improvement. More importantly, it provides a reason for players to show continued loyalty to the site. If the small fish go away then there is nothing for the larger fish to feed on. Without the Teams, SKY Poker could be in danger of becoming just another small poker site.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Couldn't agree more with this post. I mainly only play skypoker due to the team element as I find DTD a nice cheap and enjoyable set up, which I would have no interest in if it wasn't for being part of a team. If this comp folded, to be honest I would play my online poker individually elsewhere. The team set up is now sky's only usp.