You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bad Beats?

TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
 Just thought i would take this opportunity to give my opinion on bad beats. We have all suffered them and we have all dished them out as well and such is human nature that we remember the ones we receive and not the ones we dish out.
 Bad beats affect us differently at different times. If it is dirung a critical stage of a tourny or whilst having a bad run or are low on our bankroll then they can affect us greatly. What we need to do is think about what causes bad beats and figure out how to react to them.The cause come into 3 categories.

1) Bad luck:  KK beating our AA etc. If someone shoves into us and we call and have them dominated and they hit the miracle cards to win also comes into this because they are making a move and have been unlucky to run into a hand capable of calling them.

2) Bad play by us:  Whenever we slow play a hand or just min bet to keep our opponent in the hand to extract maximum value and we go on to be outdrawn then you have to put this down to totally self inflicted.

3)Bad play by our opponent: This is when they play bad hands and call against the odds and hit the miracle cards.

In situation 1 there is nothing we can do about it and we just need to dust ourselves off and put it down to variance and just carry on as if nothing has happened.(not easy to do i know)

In situation 2 we need to look seriously at our own game and plug any leaks we find. When we slow play we turn up the risk/reward dial and it will sometimes turn around and bite us.

In situation 3 we need to remember that this is what we were hoping for. We want our opponents to play bad cards and we want them to make bad calls. In the short term they can hurt us badly but the longer we play against them the more of their money we will take off them. Players who make bad calls and win rarely learn from this as they justify their own actions and will continue to make the same mistakes and this is where we can cash in.

Bad beats are a highly emotional subject and that is a problem. Poker is a game that is best played when all emotion is removed from your decision making abilities. So if you take a bad beat, sit back take a deep breath, shout at the computer screen and let the anger and injustice leave your body. Do not say anything in the chat box and do not chase after a player to get your money back, just go back to playing good poker and things will turn around.

I hope that no bad beats come your way, but if they do i hope you deal with them properly so you dont turn into a tilt monkey.  All the best at the tables

Comments

• Options
    TiaDalmaTiaDalma Member Posts: 454
    edited January 2010
    Excellent post
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2010
    This should be read by ALL poker players
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    A well thought out post but i generally don't look at hands like that.

1 = Cooler, nobody's fault, nothing bad here its just losing a 4:1 bet.
    2 = Not a bad beat, just bad play as u said.
    3 = A bad beat in the actual definition of the term.
  • Options
    JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited January 2010

great post puts into words what does happen situation 1 I can cope with situation 2 is harder to get over but "thats poker"  (although try tell that to gregghog who got rivered after getting the other player all in with full house against two pair only to get turned over on the river by a bigger full house in the primo brutal) its situation 3 that gets me and i end up kicking the dog (metaphorically of course) the whole idea is to get your money in good but when you get called by some raggy ace or Q 7 because its their  lucky hand or they thought they would gamble and they hit time and time again, but as you say (and i keep reminding myself) these are the people you want to play but when there is a possible 5 idiots on the table the odds shorten somewhat, it takes a long time to build up a stack and its so frustrating when some luck box hits and ruins a lot of hard work

• Options
    MADMOOMADMOO Member Posts: 1,687
    edited January 2010
    Great post Talon, agree with kiwini hope all poker players read this.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad Beats?:
    A well thought out post but i generally don't look at hands like that. 1 = Cooler, nobody's fault, nothing bad here its just losing a 4:1 bet. 2 = Not a bad beat, just bad play as u said. 3 = A bad beat in the actual definition of the term.
    Posted by Deadluck
    yep

1 agree

2 agree

3 i prefer to get on my windowledge upstairs
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Good stuff, what catagory wud ALWAYS running into a set when holding an overpair come under? - And hitting a 1 outer to recover ;) haha

Gd Hi Lo blog btw! - looking forward to trying it, getting wound up by it, then quitting it!

DOHH