You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Railing - Yey or Neigh?

TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Hello Sky Community, I have a railing question...

As I am now Team Tikay (and will duly remain faithful to the mighty sidekick of Lord Orf until our leader returns), I managed to 'rail' Tikay for the last hour or so of PTP tonight.

Understand this is my first kiss with 'railing' and I happened to be quite 'typecal' (vocal but typed - stay with me!) on my maiden voyage....picture me whoop whooping when Tikay doubled and you'll get the picture!! Although I didn't know any of the other players I felt a bit bad for only supporting El Cappo and duly started cheering for the short, deep and medium stacks too...

The point is, how do the players feel about being railed? Do you ever find the chatterbox banter off-putting or does it rally your play like vinegar and chips?

I'm interested to know how the Community feels about it as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE railing but  on the flip side I wouldn't want to affect anyone's game that I hadn't 'bought in'.

Is there any poker etiquette on this?

Comments

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Railing - Yey or Neigh?:
    Hello Sky Community, I have a railing question... As I am now Team Tikay (and will duly remain faithful to the mighty sidekick of Lord Orf until our leader returns), I managed to 'rail' Tikay for the last hour or so of PTP tonight. Understand this is my first kiss with 'railing' and I happened to be quite 'typecal' (vocal but typed - stay with me!) on my maiden voyage....picture me whoop whooping when Tikay doubled and you'll get the picture!! Although I didn't know any of the other players I felt a bit bad for only supporting El Cappo and duly started cheering for the short, deep and medium stacks too... The point is, how do the players feel about being railed? Do you ever find the chatterbox banter off-putting or does it rally your play like vinegar and chips? I'm interested to know how the Community feels about it as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE railing but  on the flip side I wouldn't want to affect anyone's game that I hadn't 'bought in'. Is there any poker etiquette on this?
    Posted by TRIP5
    Hi

As a constant railer of tikay, and all of the PTPers, they are more than happy for you to do it, as am I, I dont mind people railing as greg, LML, tikay to name a few will confirm :)
  • Options
    LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited January 2010
    Hey Irene,

The quality (and persistence!) of the railers are an integral part of playing on this site!! Anyone not wanting to chat only has to minimise the chatbox or head to miniview... For the rest of us it keeps the evening moving and provides some much needed encouagement, comiserations and comedic relief.

Long Live the RAIL!!!

xx
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    I can only echo what LML has said.
    The volume and quality of railing on SkyPoker surpasses that on any other site that I have witnessed.
    The vast majority of players enjoy it tremendously and, if they don't wish to see it, players can always turn the chat off.

Long Live the RAIL!!!
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Watchers Watchers Watchers!! - Whats this term railing all about - ur watching!!!! grrrr!
  • Options
    MADMOOMADMOO Member Posts: 1,687
    edited January 2010
    Hi, I was on 1 of the tables of Tikays that you where railing last night (200 gtd omaha).  I thought you where great the way you welcomed people to the table and supported the whole table.
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited January 2010
    But with a word of caution...  In TKO II rail with abandon, lol, BOOOOM and say Rich?  RIch?  RICH? all you like. 

However, on normal PTP nights the P in PTP is playing against other, no doubt losing when playing tikay, players who might be losing their own cash.  If tikay doubles up against someone on a cash table they might not feel too great when a railer is Whoop Whooping tikay and telling him to "do it again, do it again".

(What did I write a serious post, surely not?
  • Options
    LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Railing - Yey or Neigh?:
    But with a word of caution...  In TKO II rail with abandon, lol, BOOOOM and say Rich?  RIch?  RICH? all you like.  However, on normal PTP nights the P in PTP is playing against other, no doubt losing when playing tikay, players who might be losing their own cash.  If tikay doubles up against someone on a cash table they might not feel too great when a railer is Whoop Whooping tikay and telling him to "do it again, do it again". (What did I write a serious post, surely not?
    Posted by Machka

Obviously this does not apply if the losing player is Orford.. He loves it.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010

Hi TRIP5,

Your Railing last night was spot-on, & it's the Railers on Sky Poker who make it what it is - fun.

It is important when Railing an individual to try to be even-handed & gracious towards other players - as you were last night  - but railers - for me - improve the fun quotient 100%.

I have also decided that when TKO II starts, youi shall be nominated as Team tikay Official Chief Railer.
      ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010
    Watchers Watchers Watchers!! - Whats this term railing all about - ur watching!!!! grrrr!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not "watchers", Railers. 

"Railers" (because they are "railing", "on the rail") has been the collective term for some 10 years now for those who watch a poker game. It derives from the edge of the poker table being known as "a rail".
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yey...Railing stays..whoop whooop...lol!!!

Viva La Rail!!!

El Cappo, at your service Sir, I shall prepare and recruit other railers within this mighty army of our's to dismay, disillusion & demoralise the very lovely but unjust forces of Team LML (Sorry Lord Orf but you chose your side...)

Thank-you LML, AceBarry10, MereNovice, MADMOO & even D'OHHHHHH for your insightful replies...glad to know that most people don't mind a bit of background up and at em or if they do they can turn off chat; however note must be taken of Machka's response, whose advice and goodwill I will definitely take! From hence forth I will (mostly) rail with honour, tact, grace and decorum (unless it's the TKOII/TKLML/B&TB *Please delete as appropriate)...for this is my solemn oath :o)

Seriously guys, thanks, just don't want to step on anyone's toes while I'm having fun!!!

See you on the rails!!!

Irene x

• Options
    NeildownNeildown Member Posts: 1,635
    edited January 2010
    i often wonder when im chatting to people if its really what they want esp if its a final table
    Some people are to kind to say "look mate really need to concentrate here" so i tend to calm it down a bit when it gets to the business end of a mtt or they not replying much
    Last thing i want to do is cost anyone money 
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My point exactly HuFlungPu, I'm defiantly hearing you!!!! Taking PTP out of the equation for a second...do you rail any other matches...i.e. Primo or Open? Or is this just not the done thing?

Irene x

• Options
    JAEGERBOMBJAEGERBOMB Member Posts: 1,516
    edited January 2010
    railin is the biz innit :)
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    Railing ANY tournament is good.
    The Open and Primo are no exception.
  • Options
    NeildownNeildown Member Posts: 1,635
    edited January 2010
    My point exactly HuFlungPu, I'm defiantly hearing you!!!! Taking PTP out of the equation for a second...do you rail any other matches...i.e. Primo or Open? Or is this just not the done thing? Irene x
    Posted by TRIP5
    it depends who is in it...if its the presenters il talk all the time no matter what match it is but i am an attention seeker.If its a friend im railing il tend to keep quiet if its a big one like the open and they are in the later stages,il say Hi and GL to let them know im there ,then leave it to them if they fancy a chat
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LOVING IT!!!

• Options
    JAEGERBOMBJAEGERBOMB Member Posts: 1,516
    edited January 2010
    im hopin there will be plenty of railing on FT for SPT semi tonight....thats if im lucky enought to get that far lol
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
      I personally like to stalk players on the tables and shout COLIN at them. It normally results in them panicing and losing all their chips.Which i think is hilarious
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Talon...You are a GENIUS....lol (Can I borrow that, or shall I shout HIPPO STAMPEDE...RUN?!?!)

Jaegerbomb, you have prior warning about the COLIN/HIPPO trick...DO NOT SUCCCUMB YOUR CHIPS!!!

Good to hear your both on the railing bus :o)

Irene x
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
     The COLIN trick only works against Huflugpu at the moment so i am looking to alter it for other players