You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Try and end it now?

hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
edited December 2021 in Strategy
hhyftrftdrSmall blind 200.00200.002730.00TCB72Big blind 400.00600.002640.00 Your hole cardsA10   SkyWagesFold    XAll-in 1760.002360.000.00

Call or fold? Button appears to be a reg at this level fwiw.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320
    edited August 2015

Call.

If he is a reg, has the button, & 6 Bigs, A-10 is significantly ahead of his likely range here.
  • Options
    RLT16RLT16 Member Posts: 1,433
    edited August 2015
    Id be snap calling. occasionally we will be dominated but the majority of the time they will have them dominated or they will show hands like KQ, KJ, QJ, J10, small pairs, most suited connectors. depending on how tight TCB and yourself have been they may just be shoving with trash to trying to steal a few blinds and i wouldnt be surprised to see lots of trashy K's Q's or J's here aswell.

If im the reg in question though its a fold, always a fold  ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2015

hhyetc may be whooshing us here - I am Lord Not McNit of NitVille, & I'm calling in a nitbeat.
  • Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited August 2015
    Is it really a snap CALL.

I would rather be shoving this hand than snap calling.

I am not so sure. Yes i would favour the call slightly.

These are the decisions that are the hardest for me. Also alot of the time the shover has probably a low pocket pair. So its a 50/50. which of course are bad in dyms

Also alot of the time shoving the likes of KQ, KJ, which we are only slight favourite.

Its a hard one but i dont mind folding here as well.
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited August 2015
    Yeah I call here. We're well ahead of the range of a 4BB otb shove IMO. If it was something like 100/200 with the same stacks i'd be waiting for a better spot because I don't like calling off this late in (what I presume to be?) a DYM unless i'm really strong. But I think this is a no-brainer call.
  • Options
    RLT16RLT16 Member Posts: 1,433
    edited August 2015
    i also dont mind the fold, but for me id always call.

If they are shoving KJs and KQs then we are a 58%- 41% favourite. (unsuited changes to 62%- 37.5%) we're massive favourites over any shoves with trashy A's K's and Q's. obviously pairs are a part of their range but even then were 50/50 and if we lose were still not out with 1200 chips behind, which is not ideal ofcourse but not unrecoverable.

• Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2015
    I'd raise.
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited August 2015
    Hmm, I'm with stuarty about it really being a call. I don't play DYM's much but when I have I always prefer to be the one shipping my chips in. For me to call a shove in this spot I like to be at least a 60% fave (and nearer to 65%) because if we lose the hand we're down to a bit less than 3bb's.

If villain is shipping with a 90% range then we have 64% equity and it's a no brainer call. Are reg's at this level really shoving that wide? I doubt it. 30% and we're only 57.6% favourite. 42% and we have the 60% I talked about before. Is a reg shoving this wide OTB? If he's any good then he probably should be. But will he be shoving much wider than 42%? 60%? 70%? 

So I think it's pretty close but based on the above it probably is a call especially if you think he'll be shoving 60%+ of hands. But depending on other factors we could find a fold and wait for a better spot.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Try and end it now?:
    hhyetc may be whooshing us here - I am Lord Not McNit of NitVille, & I'm calling in a nitbeat.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay! This is no whoosh, I'm saddened that you'd think that :)

I rarely tank down the timer, but I genuinely didn't know what to do in this spot. I'm pretty confident they are showing close to A2C so it wasn't a case of range coming into it, I know ATs is comfortably ahead in that respect.

Do I take the risk to try and get us in the money? If I fold and this button shove gets through, and then the same player shoves UTG next hand and gets it through, I'm right in the thick of it with the other 2 players and its anyones really.

Another factor is that when I'm in the BB, the button was the large stack and he was correctly putting us to the test most/all orbits. Sometimes you get passive chip leaders who might limp the button and let you in or limp fold, but not this guy.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Yeah, I can see the dilemma.

And yes, as some said, we PREFER to be the aggressor than the caller, all day long.

But there are exceptions, & this is one of them. Fold here, & Grumpy Any Two will never let you forget it.

Equities in this spot don't trouble me too much, as we desperately need to find a spot quickly, & this is it.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the replies guys.

If we were to tinker the situation slightly; it folds to the button (same player) who jams, stack sizes are similar to above albeit the blind level has increased, bb covers hero in sb but not by much, and button covers hero by 30 chips, so it's all very consolidated though hero is ever so slightly at risk.

Hero has 99....call off or fold?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I can see the dilemma. And yes, as some said, we PREFER to be the aggressor than the caller, all day long. But there are exceptions, & this is one of them. Fold here, & Grumpy Any Two will never let you forget it. Equities in this spot don't trouble me too much, as we desperately need to find a spot quickly, & this is it.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol 
    I've actually discussed this hand with the plump maestro and I think it's really close.

You say we have only 6 bigs. I actually think that is healthy enough at this stage. We certainly have fold equity. 

On a strong table I probably make the call but on a weak table I might well pass.

When we call are we loving life when they roll over KQ or 2's for example?
    It's one of the spots I hate most in Dyms. I've played thousands of them and I'm probably split down the middle for the times I've called in these spots and the times that I've passed.

It's one of those that when we pass an find ourselves shoving any 2 a couple of minutes later, we kick ourselves for not making the call. We probably forget the times when we do pass and 2 players get it in straight after and we cash.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Try and end it now? : Lol  I've actually discussed this hand with the plump maestro and I think it's really close. You say we have only 6 bigs. I actually think that is healthy enough at this stage. We certainly have fold equity.  On a strong table I probably make the call but on a weak table I might well pass. When we call are we loving life when they roll over KQ or 2's for example? It's one of the spots I hate most in Dyms. I've played thousands of them and I'm probably split down the middle for the times I've called in these spots and the times that I've passed. It's one of those that when we pass an find ourselves shoving any 2 a couple of minutes later, we kick ourselves for not making the call. We probably forget the times when we do pass and 2 players get it in straight after and we cash.
    Posted by Jac35
    Speak for yourself.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited August 2015
    ^^^^^^
    Better to blind out and wait for aces like your best chum does?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ^^^^^^ Better to blind out and wait for aces like your best chum does?
    Posted by Jac35
    Feel free to shoot me if I ever turn into that! :)
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited August 2015
    Good wee post this.

Glad to see you embracing DYM  'CM'

I think this is a tricky spot, to me it is definitely player dependant, there are times I couldn't hit the call button fast enough, other times I am happy to wait and try and put pressure on with a stack that is still fairly healthy ( I assume CL has around 4.5k)
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited August 2015
    Keep seeing this headline on the forum homepage and fearing there is someone who is running so badly that they have been driven to contemplate suicide.

Don't do it H! At least not until you've achieved the 1-1-1 record in DTD :)

FWIW this was probably the sort of thing I folded when I was suckered into playing DYM games, leave someone else to do the KO-ing and avoid getting it in vs a better ace or pair unless I'd already seen button get it in pretty light.

Which means the right answer must be to call.  Because I'm garbage at poker.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Keep seeing this headline on the forum homepage and fearing there is someone who is running so badly that they have been driven to contemplate suicide. Don't do it H! At least not until you've achieved the 1-1-1 record in DTD :) FWIW this was probably the sort of thing I folded when I was suckered into playing DYM games, leave someone else to do the KO-ing and avoid getting it in vs a better ace or pair unless I'd already seen button get it in pretty light. Which means the right answer must be to call.  Because I'm garbage at poker.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Don't worry, I won't....I wouldn't want to give the hordes on here the satisfaction ;)

Forgot about this. I passed the AT after tanking right down, fast forward an orbit after loads of shoving from 3 of us without being called (it's all very congested stack wise apart from the CL) and I get 99 in the SB and the button shoves again, I snap this time and lose to 10 2. Was covered by 30 chips or so :(

Had 99 held I'd still have posted the hand as I was genuinely stumped, it felt like a call but then it also felt a fold with the risk factor involved.

Anyway, my brief flirtation with DYMs has ended. It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all. Farewell, DYM.