You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online!

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Here's my logic,

donkeys and fish are plentiful online,

sharks are scarce,

hence donkeys and fish play more hands,

they are a bigger group,

and go in behind more then sharks,

so even do they win a lot of hands,

and give the appearance that fishing pays a sustained profit,

and also it seems the odds look like they are in favour of the larger group,

note the larger fishy/donk group in total have won less money ,

because the winnings get divided among a much larger group,

than the smaller shark group in total.

over and out roborover !

please note : no donkeys / fish or sharks were harmed in the making of this logic thread,

all were released back to the wild west world of poker safely.

also note roborover has used poetic license [ liberty ]in the making of above,

no offence was intended to the above names being used fish/donks e.t.c

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    anonymous... so poetic lol
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online!:
    Here's my logic, donkeys and fish are plentiful online, sharks are scarce, hence donkeys and fish play more hands, they are a bigger group, and go in behind more then sharks, so even do they win a lot of hands, and give the appearance that fishing pays a sustained profit, and also it seems the odds look like they are in favour of the larger group, note the larger fishy/donk group in total have won less money , because the winnings get divided among a much larger group, than the smaller shark group in total. over and out roborover ! please note : no donkeys / fish or sharks were harmed in the making of this logic thread, all were released back to the wild west world of poker safely. also note roborover has used poetic license [ liberty ]in the making of above, no offence was intended to the above names being used fish/donks e.t.c
    Posted by anonymous
    soz guys got timed out lol,

and posted thread up,

and it came up anonymous,

but you can see my name at the end,

roborover.
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited January 2010
    Lol

Good post rover x
  • Options
    torryboytorryboy Member Posts: 459
    edited January 2010

So I take it you think of yourself as a shark, probably on a losing streak, go to area 51 before the shoals gang up and take you out

• Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online!:
    anonymous... so poetic lol
    Posted by BlackFish3
    ty mr black.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online!:
    So I take it you think of yourself as a shark, probably on a losing streak, go to area 51 before the shoals gang up and take you out
    Posted by torryboy
    me a shark no way lol,

losing streak me no, dead beat yep,

part of the game .

area 51 nooooooooooooooooo,

i just come from there after they reprogrammed me  roborover,

also they inserted a device in me ,

that explodes if i mention the name of certain competition .

over and out roborover !
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    Good post.

This problem of numbers has been highlighted before (by me on a couple of occasions) and is a major factor in modern tournament play. To progress through a tournament you will have numerous encounters. Even if you are a 2/1 favourite in every encounter the odds stack up against you as the number of entrants increases. One way to increase your chances of success is to reduce the number of confrontations you encounter by either taking uncontested pots or by knocking your opponent off a hand. As the numbers have increased in recent years the numbers of beginners/novices in a tournament has increased as a percentage of the total. Often these players will call or gamble where a more experienced player will fold. This has always been so but the difference is in the amount of these players you will need to get past in today's tournaments. If you had a succession of AA hole cards that ran all the way through the tournament even this would not be a certainty to succeed.

So you're right there is a logical reason, but as the tournament progresses the odds improve dramatically for the sharks. The problem is lasting long enough for the odds to change in favour of the shark.
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited January 2010
    Good post. This problem of numbers has been highlighted before (by me on a couple of occasions) and is a major factor in modern tournament play. To progress through a tournament you will have numerous encounters. Even if you are a 2/1 favourite in every encounter the odds stack up against you as the number of entrants increases. One way to increase your chances of success is to reduce the number of confrontations you encounter by either taking uncontested pots or by knocking your opponent off a hand. As the numbers have increased in recent years the numbers of beginners/novices in a tournament has increased as a percentage of the total. Often these players will call or gamble where a more experienced player will fold. This has always been so but the difference is in the amount of these players you will need to get past in today's tournaments. If you had a succession of AA hole cards that ran all the way through the tournament even this would not be a certainty to succeed. So you're right there is a logical reason, but as the tournament progresses the odds improve dramatically for the sharks. The problem is lasting long enough for the odds to change in favour of the shark.
    Posted by elsadog

Absolutely correct 'Al' ..which goes to show why I cant win a tournament for love nor money at the moment ...the site is full of fish trying to catch the shark ...elo  elo  what ?

Great thread Irish  and oh so true !!

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Good post. This problem of numbers has been highlighted before (by me on a couple of occasions) and is a major factor in modern tournament play. To progress through a tournament you will have numerous encounters. Even if you are a 2/1 favourite in every encounter the odds stack up against you as the number of entrants increases. One way to increase your chances of success is to reduce the number of confrontations you encounter by either taking uncontested pots or by knocking your opponent off a hand. As the numbers have increased in recent years the numbers of beginners/novices in a tournament has increased as a percentage of the total. Often these players will call or gamble where a more experienced player will fold. This has always been so but the difference is in the amount of these players you will need to get past in today's tournaments. If you had a succession of AA hole cards that ran all the way through the tournament even this would not be a certainty to succeed. So you're right there is a logical reason, but as the tournament progresses the odds improve dramatically for the sharks. The problem is lasting long enough for the odds to change in favour of the shark.
    Posted by elsadog
    ty elsa
  • Options
    fitzer14fitzer14 Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2010
    In Response to the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online!:
    Here's my logic, donkeys and fish are plentiful online, sharks are scarce, hence donkeys and fish play more hands, they are a bigger group, and go in behind more then sharks, so even do they win a lot of hands, and give the appearance that fishing pays a sustained profit, and also it seems the odds look like they are in favour of the larger group, note the larger fishy/donk group in total have won less money , because the winnings get divided among a much larger group, than the smaller shark group in total. over and out roborover ! please note : no donkeys / fish or sharks were harmed in the making of this logic thread, all were released back to the wild west world of poker safely. also note roborover has used poetic license [ liberty ]in the making of above, no offence was intended to the above names being used fish/donks e.t.c
    Posted by anonymous
    you my friend are a star!!!!!!

Fitz.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online! : Absolutely correct 'Al' ..which goes to show why I cant win a tournament for love nor money at the moment ...the site is full of fish trying to catch the shark ...elo  elo  what ? Great thread Irish  and oh so true !!
    Posted by bennydip2
    ty benny ,

i wait in anticipation for the approval of above  photo lol .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to the logical reason why donkeys and fish seem favourites to beat sharks in poker online! : you my friend are a star!!!!!! Fitz.
    Posted by fitzer14
    wow fitzer ty to kind .