You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level?

FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Throughout playing MTT's I've only ever moved up stakes after success at the buy in before and have had fairly immediate success after moving up. However so far after moving up again I have just been losing money. Its easy to take the blame away from yourself by claiming you've ran bad or just been unlucky in general but that's just an easy way out so that you don't question your own ability. Is there any way to know when your good enough to move up?
As an aside I think that my lack of success has made me make some bad plays in other tournaments after I've busted out of it which is obviously very stupid and very unprofitable . I would describe myself as a good but not excellent player so it might be the case that it isn't profitable to move up yet.

Comments

• Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited November 2015
    With experience you'll often be able to tell (or have a vv good idea) if you're a winning player by just assessing the standard of the opponents.

Dunno if you're talking other sites but I'd imagine there's pretty much not a comp on this site where if you reg you won't be better than ~80% of the field minimum.

Have a look in the lobbies (only smaller comps cos would be a nightmare in the main/mini etc) and see what you think. It's tougher in stuff like the MBI cos these days it only gets 30 or so runners and of that 30, probably 5 or so will be vvv good regs that play everything, and another 5, maybe 10, will be the decent/ok regs that play everything so it does dilute the reg:weaker player ratio.

But yeh look in the lobbies and try to think where you fit in, in terms of your ability v the others (chances with names you've never seen before, you're probably better than them).

gl
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level?:
    With experience you'll often be able to tell (or have a vv good idea) if you're a winning player by just assessing the standard of the opponents. Dunno if you're talking other sites but I'd imagine there's pretty much not a comp on this site where if you reg you won't be better than ~80% of the field minimum. Have a look in the lobbies (only smaller comps cos would be a nightmare in the main/mini etc) and see what you think. It's tougher in stuff like the MBI cos these days it only gets 30 or so runners and of that 30, probably 5 or so will be vvv good regs that play everything, and another 5, maybe 10, will be the decent/ok regs that play everything so it does dilute the reg:weaker player ratio. But yeh look in the lobbies and try to think where you fit in, in terms of your ability v the others (chances with names you've never seen before, you're probably better than them). gl
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm talking about 110's on here and 55's on other sites. Admittedly my sample isn't too big but I just haven't been able to do anything in them and with them having quite slow structures I'd imagine they favoured the better players. Maybe my expectations are too high after hitting the ground running when I've moved up stakes in the past. I think looking at the lobby before i reg is a good idea, might do that in the future and only enter if its a particularly soft field, or maybe take the approach of only playing if i can satty into the event.  Ty, you as well mate
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level? : I'm talking about 110's on here and 55's on other sites. Admittedly my sample isn't too big but I just haven't been able to do anything in them and with them having quite slow structures I'd imagine they favoured the better players. Maybe my expectations are too high after hitting the ground running when I've moved up stakes in the past. I think looking at the lobby before i reg is a good idea, might do that in the future and only enter if its a particularly soft field, or maybe take the approach of only playing if i can satty into the event.  Ty, you as well mate
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Firstly what sample size we looking at?

Also, you cant compare different sites all that easily, they play very differently. A large field $109 will attract lots of lesser players (and a lot more variance due to the field size) whereas a smaller field one will tend to have more regs. Also are you comparing a 6max no ante bh v a full ring ante game?

Also, some players are good against certain players. Some are great against other regs but struggle v unconventional players.

Some players can do well on all sites but some will tend to only have success on certain sites.

Another thing is as a new player you have an advantage when you start but after a while other good players will work your game out.

If your lack of success is making you make mistakes then your not ready for that level!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level? : Firstly what sample size we looking at? Also, you cant compare different sites all that easily, they play very differently. A large field $109 will attract lots of lesser players (and a lot more variance due to the field size) whereas a smaller field one will tend to have more regs. Also are you comparing a 6max no ante bh v a full ring ante game? Also, some players are good against certain players. Some are great against other regs but struggle v unconventional players. Some players can do well on all sites but some will tend to only have success on certain sites. Another thing is as a new player you have an advantage when you start but after a while other good players will work your game out. If your lack of success is making you make mistakes then your not ready for that level!
    Posted by MattBates
    A small sample, maybe 30-50 MTT's. I'd say the field size is generally small and yeah it has been a mix of 6max no antes and 9 max antes. I think I might be one of those players who only have success on certain sites, I've only really done well on sky but haven't really played other sites much. Its just expensive to keep drawing blanks in these MTT's and it is effecting my play negatively in others. Ty for your reply, I think I'll drop down to my usual level until I improve my poker game and my mental game.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level? : A small sample, maybe 30-50 MTT's. I'd say the field size is generally small and yeah it has been a mix of 6max no antes and 9 max antes. I think I might be one of those players who only have success on certain sites, I've only really done well on sky but haven't really played other sites much. Its just expensive to keep drawing blanks in these MTT's and it is effecting my play negatively in others. Ty for your reply, I think I'll drop down to my usual level until I improve my poker game and my mental game.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    such a small sample size, if its effecting you negatively then stop its probably not worth it but 30-50 MTTs is a Sunday session!
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited November 2015
    If it's worth anything, my biggest mistake when playing higher-level MTTs was over-rating the opposition. I tended to think that they must be very good players to play at the 110 BI level, are thinking 3 or 4 levels ahead, are laying elaborate traps, can read me like a  book, that kind of thing. In fact, they are generally no better than the players you see at the 10 or 20 level.
    Just keep playing your natural game and for the most part you'll have the same level of success.

• Options
    tramp66tramp66 Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2015
    play sit and go's
  • Options
    christ1963christ1963 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    In Response to How to know if your good enough for a certain stake level?:
    Throughout playing MTT's I've only ever moved up stakes after success at the buy in before and have had fairly immediate success after moving up. However so far after moving up again I have just been losing money. Its easy to take the blame away from yourself by claiming you've ran bad or just been unlucky in general but that's just an easy way out so that you don't question your own ability. Is there any way to know when your good enough to move up? As an aside I think that my lack of success has made me make some bad plays in other tournaments after I've busted out of it which is obviously very stupid and very unprofitable . I would describe myself as a good but not excellent player so it might be the case that it isn't profitable to move up yet.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    You will never move up because you don't have believe in yourself!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Lost JJ v TT in tonights roller 125k pot- river 10. My sample too small to see if I'm a winner at this stake, definitely ran -ev though overall. Think I'll stick with it maybe only play if i satellite in. Even if im not a winner at that stake, im definitely not going to be a big loser.