You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

poker

theplayertheplayer Member Posts: 8
edited December 2021 in Strategy
online poker is an absolute con unless you have the funds to play high stakes, then people will not call so easily, thank you sky poker for being like every other site and deciding who will win, how sad and trust me i love your site but played my last game and advise all low stake players to do the same cause they pick and choose who wins and i have won a few. so many good hands playing against each other would never in a million years happen in real poker goodbve unfortunately sky earn your money from all the restof the fools that play on this site

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219
    edited January 2016
    In Response to poker:
    online poker is an absolute con unless you have the funds to play high stakes, then people will not call so easily, thank you sky poker for being like every other site and deciding who will win, how sad and trust me i love your site but played my last game and advise all low stake players to do the same cause they pick and choose who wins and i have won a few. so many good hands playing against each other would never in a million years happen in real poker goodbve unfortunately sky earn your money from all the restof the fools that play on this site
    Posted by theplayer
    Morning Player,

Maybe you had a bad night, but there's so much wrong with that I don't know where to begin. You play a lot of Freerolls, PLO & PLO8 MTT's, & variance in those is high. 

If people call off light in low stakes poker, that's good, right?

It's not an "absolute con" it's poker.

The site does not & cannot "pick & choose who will win". How & why would they do that?

It does not happen in Live Poker? You can't have played much Live Poker then.

Not sure you should describe the players here as "fools", that's a rather sweeping & rude statement.

The chap who said this back in 2011 was a wise man, & you'd do well to listen to him.

"... you dont see so many bad beats on high stakes tables. most people are willing to take a chance when playing for small stakes....."

Dust yourself down, & maybe run a little better. I can't help you with playing advice, as you seem to be very profitable, but if you want some help with how to deal with the inevitable bad runs, & that fickle mistress called variance, fire away, & I & others will try to help.  

• Options
    fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2016
    i feel your pain! I have lost every tourney with the best hand for over 6 months now. 
    just lost 10 10 vs 66 all in pf, 
    last one i had qq vs jq all in pf and he flopped 9,10,k!
    It has been non stop on the bounty  hunters now for so long.
    I am however managing to win at cash, i have £200 in my balance which is what i deposited in september, and i play everyday and do a few hours at least.
    cant understand the tourney run, very frustrating!! 
    you gotta just laugh mate, if youre winning then whats the problem?
    some guys got lucky with a long shot draw? 
    It happens, just hang in there mate, or quit, either weay be happy ;)
    Don't bad mouth the site though, its not fixed, they dont care who wins, its just lady luck messing with ya!
    Good luck, stick with it buddy

• Options
    fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2016
    i feel your pain! I have lost every tourney with the best hand for over 6 months now. 
    just lost 10 10 vs 66 all in pf, 
    last one i had qq vs jq all in pf and he flopped 9,10,k!
    It has been non stop on the bounty  hunters now for so long.
    I am however managing to win at cash, i have £200 in my balance which is what i deposited in september, and i play everyday and do a few hours at least.
    cant understand the tourney run, very frustrating!! 
    you gotta just laugh mate, if youre winning then whats the problem?
    some guys got lucky with a long shot draw? 
    It happens, just hang in there mate, or quit, either weay be happy ;)
    Don't bad mouth the site though, its not fixed, they dont care who wins, its just lady luck messing with ya!
    Good luck, stick with it buddy

• Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited January 2016
    In Response to poker:
    Posted by theplayer
    In many ways you are right. People WILL call "easily" when they only have to throw in a £ or so - after all, what's a quid?
    But knowing that they will call you down surely gives you an advantage? Don't try to bluff these guys, just outplay them and from what I've seen you're easily good enough to do that.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,402
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: poker:
    Never known such a fixed rigged pile of shiite so fuckiin corrupt
    Posted by mikey23

How much to keep shtum ??? £10 ? £20 ? £1,000 ? 

free entry  into any comp ?
  • Options
    yuranASSetyuranASSet Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2016
    When low stakes poker becomes nitty, that is when I will quit the game. I don't know what idea is worse, the game gets even more nittier, or the game gets taxed. 
  • Options
    AFFMAHEEDAFFMAHEED Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2016
    Hi I have played on Sky Poker since it began and like Poker itself I have had some great days and bad days.

I play a lot of live poker as well and trust me I have seen some bad beats, bad plays and bad calls live as well.

I have never writen on here but some of the comments on here I find interesting. Especially around the trustworthiness of online poker sites and just to let you know what happened to me today.

I play cash,stt's and mtt's depending on my mood and the stakes I play depends on how many tables I am playing. Today I was playing £3 and £5 stt's about 5 tables open at a time. In the space of 30 seconds I lost AA to 10 10, AA to J8 off, KK TO 10 10 and AA to 10 10. I might be still boiling as I write this but what I found strange was just before the killer river got dealt there was a definite pause as if the cyber world was looking for something and I just knew that the two outer 22/1 shot was coming, And it did every time

As I say I do understand variance and bad runs and I might still be boiling but stick the odds of these hands in a computer and the chances off them all getting beat at virtually he same time would be astronomical.

It won't stop me enjoyng my poker because I mainly play for entertainment and i have played on all the major internet sites and Sky Poker is by far the best in regards to the creativity of tournaments on offer and the close family like feel of the site which is hard to achieve on other sites due to the large volume of people on there.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited January 2016
    In Response to variance. Really?:
    Hi I have played on Sky Poker since it began and like Poker itself I have had some great days and bad days. I play a lot of live poker as well and trust me I have seen some bad beats, bad plays and bad calls live as well. I have never writen on here but some of the comments on here I find interesting. Especially around the trustworthiness of online poker sites and just to let you know what happened to me today. I play cash,stt's and mtt's depending on my mood and the stakes I play depends on how many tables I am playing. Today I was playing £3 and £5 stt's about 5 tables open at a time. In the space of 30 seconds I lost AA to 10 10, AA to J8 off, KK TO 10 10 and AA to 10 10. I might be still boiling as I write this but what I found strange was just before the killer river got dealt there was a definite pause as if the cyber world was looking for something and I just knew that the two outer 22/1 shot was coming, And it did every time As I say I do understand variance and bad runs and I might still be boiling but stick the odds of these hands in a computer and the chances off them all getting beat at virtually he same time would be astronomical. It won't stop me enjoyng my poker because I mainly play for entertainment and i have played on all the major internet sites and Sky Poker is by far the best in regards to the creativity of tournaments on offer and the close family like feel of the site which is hard to achieve on other sites due to the large volume of people on there.
    Posted by AFFMAHEED

^^^^
    THIS

• Options
    edited January 2016
    In Response to variance. Really?:
    Hi I have played on Sky Poker since it began and like Poker itself I have had some great days and bad days. I play a lot of live poker as well and trust me I have seen some bad beats, bad plays and bad calls live as well. I have never writen on here but some of the comments on here I find interesting. Especially around the trustworthiness of online poker sites and just to let you know what happened to me today. I play cash,stt's and mtt's depending on my mood and the stakes I play depends on how many tables I am playing. Today I was playing £3 and £5 stt's about 5 tables open at a time. In the space of 30 seconds I lost AA to 10 10, AA to J8 off, KK TO 10 10 and AA to 10 10. I might be still boiling as I write this but what I found strange was just before the killer river got dealt there was a definite pause as if the cyber world was looking for something and I just knew that the two outer 22/1 shot was coming, And it did every time As I say I do understand variance and bad runs and I might still be boiling but stick the odds of these hands in a computer and the chances off them all getting beat at virtually he same time would be astronomical. It won't stop me enjoyng my poker because I mainly play for entertainment and i have played on all the major internet sites and Sky Poker is by far the best in regards to the creativity of tournaments on offer and the close family like feel of the site which is hard to achieve on other sites due to the large volume of people on there.
    Posted by AFFMAHEED
    Hi Affmaheed,

Some nice comments in there about Sky Poker, thank you.

Can I just ask you about the highlighted part, as I thought that was an odd thing to say.

Supposing, just hypothetically for a moment, that your suspicions were true.

Why would there be that pause, "as if the cyber world was looking for something"?

Internet coding does not work like that, if it were to "look for something" there would not be a pause, it works at lightning speed, it's, in effect, instantaneous.

It'd be a bit of a giveaway, too, would it not?

No idea of Sky Poker do it, but many sites code a deliberate pause before the river for "dramatic effect". And of course, it always SEEMS longer if our hand is vulnerable, there is that lovely moment of suspense, as we stare at the board awaiting our fate.

Sky Poker is quite a profitable site, & has a significant slice of the UK & RoI market. It's part of a MUCH bigger Business, SB&G, which was sold last year for some £800 million. Much increased revenues since then have likely increased it's value significantly.

Given that Poker is not a "house" game - it's players v players, not players v site, the site gets it's juice whoever wins. 

Why would SB&G (or any other Gaming site) risk all that when there is no gain, no motive?

FWIW, Sky Poker has dealt just shy of one billion hands. That's a LOT of evidence. And yet nobody, in all those hands, has found a scrap of credible evidence as to monkey business or jiggery-pokery.

Does any of that re-assure you? 

Hope that has come across as intended. You've been here a very long time, & have played many thousands of games, so I know that, really, you must trust the site.   

• Options
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: variance. Really?:
    In Response to variance. Really? : ^^^^ THIS
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Tikay,

I appreciate your comments. I wasn't in any way trying to suggest Sky Poker was rigged, just that the Cyberworld might have a sadistic mind of it's own.

Now that you mention the drama on the river effect that makes sense. Just seems to take longer when you are looking through your fingers and fearing the worst.

As I said it was a spur of the moment bout of bad beatiness that made me write my comments and I will still be playing Poker on here as I really enjoy it.

Poker is a cruel game sometimes and I really do play for the enjoyment so I don't nrmally take it too seriously.

Thanks.
  • Options
    BigRonnieCBigRonnieC Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2016
    To reassert what Tikay said, the table gets a rake, so whether a £200 cash hand goes to player X or Y is irreevant, they rake the same amount. Same with DYMs and Tourneys (registration). Believe me, I know the pain. I hope you are playing with money you can afford to waste - this is entertainment and... NEVER forget - gambling. You can lose 10 times in a row to a poorer hand in a showdown and it is still well within variance. 

I have seen people dilligently checking off past numbers on a roulette table, despite the fact that each roll on a fair board with a fair dealer (or machine) has the same odds of red/black or odds/evens... and the dreaded 0.

Try to close the laptop or leave when on tilt. I was following this rule until the other night and lost about 8 buy ins in my normal DYM - in an hour or so. Each bad beat seemed more egregious than the last. 

I was also tired and had a rough day, playing later than normal... hand history wont post but I had 2 pair counterfeited on river in biggest pot. My 3 biggest pot losses (chip wise) came after this.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    To reassert what Tikay said, the table gets a rake, so whether a £200 cash hand goes to player X or Y is irreevant, they rake the same amount. Same with DYMs and Tourneys (registration). Believe me, I know the pain. I hope you are playing with money you can afford to waste - this is entertainment and... NEVER forget - gambling. You can lose 10 times in a row to a poorer hand in a showdown and it is still well within variance.  I have seen people dilligently checking off past numbers on a roulette table, despite the fact that each roll on a fair board with a fair dealer (or machine) has the same odds of red/black or odds/evens... and the dreaded 0. Try to close the laptop or leave when on tilt. I was following this rule until the other night and lost about 8 buy ins in my normal DYM - in an hour or so. Each bad beat seemed more egregious than the last.  I was also tired and had a rough day, playing later than normal... hand history wont post but I had 2 pair counterfeited on river in biggest pot. My 3 biggest pot losses (chip wise) came after this.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Many years - decades actually - ago, I played a lot of Roulette, though I've not had a spin for 30 years or more.

I still occasionally stand beside a Roulette wheel to watch though, as that fascinates me, as they write down every winning number, or watch that board which shows the result of the last ten spins.

"#17 has not hit for an hour, it must be due. "

"5 even numbers in a row, I'd best double up on odd"

Isn't that a strange thing? Many of these people are not daft, & yet they subscribe to that nonsense.

It's a bit like the blackjack player who thinks that if a "bad" player is last to act, he can affect their results.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    To reassert what Tikay said, the table gets a rake, so whether a £200 cash hand goes to player X or Y is irreevant, they rake the same amount. Same with DYMs and Tourneys (registration). Believe me, I know the pain. I hope you are playing with money you can afford to waste - this is entertainment and... NEVER forget - gambling. You can lose 10 times in a row to a poorer hand in a showdown and it is still well within variance.  I have seen people dilligently checking off past numbers on a roulette table, despite the fact that each roll on a fair board with a fair dealer (or machine) has the same odds of red/black or odds/evens... and the dreaded 0. Try to close the laptop or leave when on tilt. I was following this rule until the other night and lost about 8 buy ins in my normal DYM - in an hour or so. Each bad beat seemed more egregious than the last.  I was also tired and had a rough day, playing later than normal... hand history wont post but I had 2 pair counterfeited on river in biggest pot. My 3 biggest pot losses (chip wise) came after this.
    Posted by BigRonnieC

Cheers Ronnie and Tikay,

I only play roulette with my wife when I go to Vegas to keep her happy before I slip of to the poker tables. I know roulette is a mugs game and have never really seen the attraction of it

What I was more interested in about my bad beats was the odds of them all happening one after the other in such  a short space of time

I have been playing poker longer than most people (obviously not Tikay) and I have never seen that happen before.

As for being able to afford the money I play with, well nowadays I only play small stakes poker so it is well within my affordability. I only play bigger stakes when I play live for that very reason. Whan you are playing 5 or 6 tables on higher stakes cash games and you get a few bad beats in a row it does start to get to you, that's why I stopped it and just play small stakes now.
  • Options
    BigRonnieCBigRonnieC Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: poker : Cheers Ronnie and Tikay, I only play roulette with my wife when I go to Vegas to keep her happy before I slip of to the poker tables. I know roulette is a mugs game and have never really seen the attraction of it What I was more interested in about my bad beats was the odds of them all happening one after the other in such  a short space of time I have been playing poker longer than most people (obviously not Tikay) and I have never seen that happen before. As for being able to afford the money I play with, well nowadays I only play small stakes poker so it is well within my affordability. I only play bigger stakes when I play live for that very reason. Whan you are playing 5 or 6 tables on higher stakes cash games and you get a few bad beats in a row it does start to get to you, that's why I stopped it and just play small stakes now.
    Posted by AFFMAHEED

This is the thing. No stakes are high stakes if you can afford them and manage your bankroll well. Andy Beal played the best pros in the world, as a combined group with a massive edge who could swap players in and out, as an amateur himself. He was up $10m at times, but eventually was $30m out of pocket. **** eh? He is worth $11bn now. For him, the money was trivial, to me, even a £5/10 game here would mean risking the mortgage and utility bills. I'm not at that level and won't deposit 100 big blinds at that amount here.

A £1 DYM or two every night I can take in my stride, and swallow the variance (in my favour and against me). I used to play £5 dyms, £100/200 gtd and cash games,all same time. Not for me now - don't have time or inclination, so I play at a level I can enjoy without caring too much about bad beats/wins.

Hope this helps, that last part about not caring about wins is important too. If I go to gym I can find that money around the leg press; if I went to local pub it would be on floor of bar. It doesn't determine if I have more or less disposable income - that allows me to play for fun (and prob play better).