You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Anyone for Tennis?

67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Before I went on holiday, I sent a PM to a couple of my PLO8 DYM buddies, fully explaining my Tennis strategy that I employ whilst playing DYMs.

I was advised that I should post it on the forum, for the benefit of others.  I was a bit sceptical, but at the risk of being ridiculed, here goes.  This is an edited copy of the PM.

I'll try to explain my Tennis and BRM strategy, it might not be your cup of tea, but you could give it a go if you want.

1st you have to decide on your initial bankroll, this is for DYMs only, you need a seperate roll for cash and for MTTs.  Below is a guidline I use to protect my bankroll.

£75, play any DYM up to £11
£40, play any DYM up to £5.50
£22, play any DYM up to £3.30

Now the tennis bit.

Play each DYM game as a set in tennis, so if your playing £3.30, your goal is to win 3 sets out of 5.  As in tennis, if you win in 3 sets, or 4, the match is over, and you begin a new match. for example:

Bet £3.30 Win £6.00
Bet £3.30 Win £0.00
Bet £3.30 Win £6.00
Bet £3,30 Win £6.00

The above tennis match has been won in 4 sets, and you would begin a new match.

It is important to concentrate on the 1st set of every match, because if you lose, you are -ev to win the match, having to win 3 of the next 4

At any given level, you want to be winning matches by 3 or 4 sets ideally, and if you lose, losing in 5 sets.  If you can achieve this you are crushing this level.

If however you are winning by in 5 sets and losing by 3 or 4 sets, your game needs work on that level.

ideally you want to be winning 7/10 matches on any level.

Keeping records is important, as it will soon be obvious which levels are the most profitable for you.

Now the BRM bit.

Your initial £75 covers you losing in staight sets on all levels, only an idiot will lose their £75(could be you).

Initialy you want to try to build your Roll by playing and winning tennis matches at a level you know you can crush.  This is usually indicated by previous records, if you have kept records.

But say your a total idiot, and decide your 1st match from your Roll will be an £11 DYM.  And being an idiot you lose the 1st set.  Your Roll is now less than £75, so you cannot play the 2nd set until your Roll is £75.  This match is on a rain delay.  See the table at the top of the page.

So you now have £64 in your roll, and being an idiot, you decide to play a £5.50 tennis match.  and being an idiot, you lose in straight sets, your Roll is now £47.50.  Being the fool you are, you decide that was a fluke and play 2 more sets and lose them both, your Roll is down below £40, you cannot play the 3rd set until it is £40.  Rain delay number 2.

If your Roll falls below £22, then you cannot play any more £3.30 DYMs until it reaches £22

It is important therefore to manage this Roll carefully, and build from levels you know you can make a profit on.

Tikay suggested I should try 100 DYMs at £3.30, I gave it a go, but I got to 50 and only had a win rate of 58%, profit £9.

I reckoned I could make more doing my tennis and BRM strategy at less risk.

In January for example(1st 4 days)

All DYMs,        played 53, bet £56.45, won 36, profit £20.55, 67.9%
PLO8 DYMs,   played 33, bet £44.45, won 20, profit £16.55, 60.6%

Interestingly if I had played all £3.30 PLO8 DYMs and had 60.6%

played 33, bet £108.90, won 20, profit £11.10

So I would have gambled £64 more to gain £5 less.

So using my BRM and Tennis strategy, I have built my £75 Roll into £95.55.  If I wasn't going to America, I would easily have doubled it, taken my initial £75 stake out and played with the profit as my £75 roll.

This Strategy might not be for you, I am a bit of a bankroll nit, but it certainly works for me. 

Even if you do not employ the BRM side, I would still advocate playing the DYMs as tennis matches.  If your winning, then your achieving at least a 60% win rate.  If nothing else, it gives you a little more incentive in certain games, especially if your playing the 5th set of a match.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited March 2016
    ^^^

Jeez and i thought Tikay could waffle!

No, Seriously i like it, but as i'm a bit of a gambler i'll continue stalking you round the tables :-)

New balls please !!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    OMG!

Your right, I'm turning into Tikay, I knew Iwas getting old, but Jeez.

Please stay away from my tables, the last thing a baseline grinder like me needs is a chancer like you, who goes for the marginal cross court top spin, hit the line or bust, winners. 

Can't you find a nice girl to stalk?
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Anyone for Tennis?:
    OMG! Your right, I'm turning into Tikay, I knew Iwas getting old, but Jeez. Please stay away from my tables, the last thing a baseline grinder like me needs is a chancer like you, who goes for the marginal cross court top spin, hit the line or bust, winners.  Can't you find a nice girl to stalk?
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    One of my many ASBO's :-)
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited April 2016

Hi Craig, tried this out tonight but ended up at tables with Djokavic x 2 , Federer x 2 and McEnroe. Felt like I was Henman, I bubbled so often.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
      Hi Craig, tried this out tonight but ended up at tables with Djokavic x 2 , Federer x 2 and McEnroe. Felt like I was Henman, I bubbled so often.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    The brits love a gallant loser, soon Henman hill will be called Bill hill. You will have hordes of fans watching you fail on the big screen.  Soggy women will wave their little flags and shout " come on Bill " as you gallantly bubble. 
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,220
    edited April 2016
    OMG! Your right, I'm turning into Tikay, I knew Iwas getting old, but Jeez. Please stay away from my tables, the last thing a baseline grinder like me needs is a chancer like you, who goes for the marginal cross court top spin, hit the line or bust, winners.  Can't you find a nice girl to stalk?
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Marv.
  • Options
    jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2016
    Whilst I admire and encourage any type of brm management this just seems like a complicated way of saying our aim is to win 60% of our games and don't play certain buy ins below certain bank roll levels. Which is the same as all the other dym brm models apart from your bank roll sizes are a little on the low side for me.

For example at £75 if you lose an £11 and 4 £5 dyms, which is only 5 games and very common, you will have lost half your roll.

If it works for you, keeping your concentration and focus, then fill your boots.

Gl at the tables.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Whilst I admire and encourage any type of brm management this just seems like complicated way of saying our aim is to win 60% of our games and don't play certain buy ins below certain levels. Which is the same as all the other dym brm models apart from your bank roll sizes are a little on the low side for me. At £75 if lose a £11 and 4 £5 dyms which is only 5 games and very common you will have lost half your roll. If it works for keeping your concentration and focus then fill your boots lol Gl at the tables.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I agree that this is based on winning 60% of our games, but this is how I focus on achieving this . I used to struggle to achieve 60% in DYMS,  but now I  am achieving 60%+ for the last few years. 

I don't have much knowledge of other BRM models, this was just my strategy I cobbled together.

My bankroll limits are the ones I personally use, but I wouldn't be playing  £11 DYMS with just a  £75 roll. Indeed somewhere in my waffle, I do say that this would be a rather unwise starting strategy.   Building from levels you regularly win tennis matches is my preferred option. Others, not as nitty as myself might want to gamble a little bit more,  I  reckon their bankroll limits may have to be higher,  but the table in the OP suits me fine. 

Incidentally,  I have, this year, played 52 tennis matches, won 41, which is above my expected win rate, which is 7/10.