You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cash advice

BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Ok guys im basically a cash noob... i want to give cash a crack because thats where the money is apparently... because ive never really given it much of a go ill be playing 4NL... (sounds better than 2p/4p) lol, so how long should i be playing for on 2 tables before i know if i am a winning cash player or not?
100 hours? more? less?
let me know your thoughts guys.
much love x

Comments

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited January 2010
    you'll know if you can beat the game after about 3 sessions.

if you are crushing DYMs then you shnoudln't have a problem
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well i played for about 4 hours and only made 1 quid tonight lol (25BB)... is that terrible?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, its perfectly fine.  assuming you see 100h/h then thats 6bb/h which is decent.  once you get the hang of cash you will of course increase this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok thanks a lot dude, i just had no idea what sort of BB/h was any good.
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    You crush the sngs so you obviously have a decent understanding. the main thing is implied odds are more important which get you paid most as the fish on sky like to pay you off with anything and everything.

pick your spots for cbetting (dry boards), and don't slowplay too much.

with regard to bankroll, put aside ~£100 for it and once you've doubled it move up.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh I forgot... Gz - you're 1% there.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    so deadluck you think chill out the c betting a bit then?
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    Anyone can become a winning cash player.  All you have to do is find a table where most of the people there are worse than you.  The eleventh worst player in the world crushes a game with the ten worst players on it where as the eleventh best player in the world is the fish on the worlds greatest table.

Notes, table selection and evolving your game hand by hand are completely key to cash.
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010
    look at the average pot--look again 10 mins later---if the pots are high, and its the same players---you have found some nutters---go for it--no mercy--gl
  • Options
    SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash advice:
    look at the average pot--look again 10 mins later---if the pots are high, and its the same players---you have found some nutters---go for it--no mercy--gl
    Posted by oynutter
    the average pot onsky isnt totally reliable.

for some reason on here (im guessin the software) it doesnt take it to account the active pot, for example,

if on the river there is £20 in the pot, player A has £100, player B has £5, A pushes B calls, sky counts this pot as £125, whereas infact the pot is only £30
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010
    mmm--still---the highest average pot usually indicates a high nutter count, especially on the micro stakes
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    so deadluck you think chill out the c betting a bit then?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    It's a very passive game for the most part so yeh if there are draws on the board and u cbet i would expect alot of smooth calls alot of the time (too much to make your cbet profitable).

Another bit of advice is to play 100bb deep and always reload if u lose a few bb's especially at the start, as it is effectively cutting into your potential profits.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited January 2010
    Hi Blackfish, I've started playing cash at this level recently to have a change from dym. A big piece of advice I'd give you is to try the 10 seaters (unless you already have) as you see many more hands per orbit so get more time to see the mega hand, and tbh I've had sessions lately where you just wait 45-60 mins, catch the one big hand and double up. :)
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Dudeskin's right its that 1 big hand an hour ur looking for, I can't believe the fuss that everyone makes about the transition from tournies to cash....its really not that big a deal (thats presenters and analysts as well as players..)

Its still the same game, same rules, the hand rankings don't change or anything. 

Just apply ur common poker sense/knowledge and ull be alright, read the players, read the board, and play accordingly. 

In the middle of another minor slump again myself, after going on a good run, which came off the back of a shocking run.lol. I hope this doesn't go on for the next 50 years!!! 

See the poker strategy boards for more low limit cash advice, the thread by Hartshorn is pretty similar and looks at some specific hands. 

GL, DOHH
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
    edited January 2010
    thanks for all the advice
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Hi blackfish,

I have not long made the step up from 4NL having started with a 5 pound bankroll given to me by Sky. (Very kind of them).

The following is some things I hope you can find useful.

Someone has already said but sit with 100bb's and reload when you lose a few.

Never sit with more than 5% of your bankroll and I general leave when it reaches 10% but do give it serious consideration because sometimes if the stack sizes are right you shouldn't leave winning games.

Makes raises 4xbb +1 for each limper (minimum) if you are getting called in too many spots increases it. Don't worry what people think about your raising amounts, they generally won't notice or undersatnd why your doing it.
    You want to get yourself 1 on 1 with the donk overcalling marginal hands.

Don't cbet with air, don't bluff not even semi bluffing you want to control the pot size with draws. Tight players will look for an excuse to fold and loose players will look for an excuse to to call. However do value bet thinly at these levels (cbet 2nd pair, 3rd pair) as you generally will still be way ahead and get paid off from loose calls.

Tighten up your raising range, in certain spots it might be better to limp call small pairs to get paid off.

Most importantly develop good reads and adjust your game accordingly if your just getting started at cash play no more than 2 tables to achieve this and ENJOY IT.

Hope this helps any questions do ask!

Ms Chips

• Options
    edited January 2010
    If you are winning at a table do you think you should leave? For example leave when you double your buy in? Or stay and try and win more?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you are winning at a table do you think you should leave? For example leave when you double your buy in? Or stay and try and win more?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    depends on the table. 

so you are 250bb deep, and the only other guy that deep is someone who you class as good, and theres no easy money on there, then lock up the profit and find another table.

if you are deep vs fish then its so +ev to play deep, as people don't understand how hand values change when it gets 200bb+.  if you are playing 4nl, which I believe allows you to buy in for 250bb (which I am dead against Sky letting it be an option, and can't believe they still allow it) and theres full stacked fish there, then buy in to cover them.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash advice : depends on the table.  so you are 250bb deep, and the only other guy that deep is someone who you class as good, and theres no easy money on there, then lock up the profit and find another table. if you are deep vs fish then its so +ev to play deep, as people don't understand how hand values change when it gets 200bb+.  if you are playing 4nl, which I believe allows you to buy in for 250bb (which I am dead against Sky letting it be an option, and can't believe they still allow it) and theres full stacked fish there, then buy in to cover them.
    Posted by scotty77
    Yh I noticed this too, how come it is allowed lower down but stops at the low/midstakes ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sky said that the players liked it that way.

But I seriously doubt that.  Never have I had a survery/consultation about the structurs of the tables on offer on Sky so where would they get this data from.

I would imagine it is to due to rake.

And it is really bad to have these on offer.  The people who play those stakes are usually the most inexperienced, and it really sets a bad example.

I'm all for deepstacked tables, but to have ONLY them is wrong.  But I brought it up some months ago, and I don't even play those stakes, and nothing was done so w/e.