You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Flopped set facing donk and raise on the river

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited June 2016 in Strategy
Initial raiser has a habit of getting bluff happy and over-valuing weaker made hands.  That was why no raise on the flop so that he could carry on betting. 

Turn raise given the increasingly drawy nature of the board.  Arguably should have been larger, but didn't want to price out semi-bluffs or 1pair hands.

Probably the worst river as flush and KQ/54 straight draw got there.

Would snap call the initial raiser if he'd led (maybe even consider raise/fold), but had a bit of sick in my mouth when the more passive player (new to me) suddenly donked out and then still got min-raised.  Odds are great for a call still if last to act, even though both raises look pretty valuey, but come with the potential for the river donk to 3bet and give me no choice but to fold after chucking in £2.40(?)

So river option.... ?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dave457 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £15.20
willmott01 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.98
  Your hole cards

farooq11 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £8.60
LuckyDaveB Fold     
shakinaces Call  £0.30 £0.75 £33.28
dave457 Fold     
willmott01 Call  £0.20 £0.95 £9.78
Flop

• J

willmott01 Check     
farooq11 Bet  £0.40 £1.35 £8.20
shakinaces Call  £0.40 £1.75 £32.88
willmott01 Call  £0.40 £2.15 £9.38
Turn

willmott01 Check     
farooq11 Bet  £0.60 £2.75 £7.60
shakinaces Raise  £1.80 £4.55 £31.08
willmott01 Call  £1.80 £6.35 £7.58
farooq11 Call  £1.20 £7.55 £6.40
River

• A

willmott01 Bet  £1.20 £8.75 £6.38
farooq11 Raise  £2.40 £11.15 £4.00
shakinaces

Comments

• mrleemr1mrleemr1 Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2016
    45 gets there too, def a potential.

I would almost never raise flop, regardless.

Turn I would raise bigger, quite alot bigger. Our opponents are gonna continue for a bigger size almost the same as they would for this price, so maybe £2.5-£3 imo.

River I would not fold. I would call, then I would fold to further action
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited March 2016

For what it's worth, I folded, initial raiser shoved (had KQo) and was snap called (AJo).

I think in retrospect that you are right regarding a larger turn bet.  I was trying to be too cute and attempt to get both to call in a spot that looks relatively strong (although debateable as to whether they were thinking much about my actions!) with the aim of looking for 1 or 2 stacks on most rivers (given I'd have left them both with roughly a pot sized bet behind)...

But may as well have given them a chance to put more money in while there is still a chance for their draws to brick and see them c/f most rivers.

• Ronto620Ronto620 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: Flopped set facing donk and raise on the river:
    For what it's worth, I folded, initial raiser shoved (had KQo) and was snap called (AJo). I think in retrospect that you are right regarding a larger turn bet.  I was trying to be too cute and attempt to get both to call in a spot that looks relatively strong (although debateable as to whether they were thinking much about my actions!) with the aim of looking for 1 or 2 stacks on most rivers (given I'd have left them both with roughly a pot sized bet behind)... But may as well have given them a chance to put more money in while there is still a chance for their draws to brick and see them c/f most rivers.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Hi shakin
    Turn bet should defo be leaving both opponents with more than half bet pot as either were likely to have top pair especially big blind. More important than could they call, is when they can u need pot big enough than u can get all chips in on river with a reasonable sized bet given to pair or two pair good odds to call. There is so few boards were a small bet with a set on turn is a long term money maker- u need to target hands that can call and not worry about folds? Great fold given subsequent action tho- i would call any further action from big blind as he should rarely have a draw so capped to two pair since no earlier reraise indicating trip j. New to posting so let me know if u think this is mince