You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Turbo DYM Strategy

GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hi All,

A friend of mine has just started playing on Skypoker and is playing a few of the Turbo DYM's. He is relatively new to poker in general, not just Sky.

I watched him play on-line a bit last night and he is making a few newbie mistakes like limping in when only have around 7 BB's and generally just playing too many hands. However, I just wondered if anyone had any good advice on these Turbo DYM's as I don't play them. Looking at the structure (2 minute blinds, 1000 starting stack) I was going to suggest playing very tight for the first 3 levels and then open range up a bit. Also tell him to stop the limping and to be aware of others stack sizes, he was still playing hands when 1 player was down to 1.5 BB's and due in the BB next on the bubble for example.

One concern I have is that the rake seems very high on these, it is 15%. So a few questions I have are:

1.) What is a good solid strategy for the different stages?
2.) BRM - I think these type of games will be very swingy, but how many BI's do you suggest?
3.) Is the rake beatable and what would be a good ROI over a couple of hundred games? (He won 8 out of 10 at one point so he thought that was sustanable - I think not!).

Thanks for any help.

Greg.

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited June 2016
    Start with the stickied guide to DYMs

15% rake turbos pretty unbeatable imo but the low level buy ins will be good for a beginner to practice without losing too heavily, and with double points at weekends it should be easy to get to 100pts just playing them. Even a 30p dym gets 2 points when its a double point promotion.

Moving up to the £3.30s as soon as comfortable will help with the rake situation and I find plenty of exploitable play at £3.30 turbos.

Not limping and not get involved much levels 1-3 is pretty key, albeit if you can get in cheap v the right opponent especially in position then do so as it is good to accumulate chips if you can. 

All normal poker advice stands up really, the particular difference for dyms is to respect the pay structure and dont take unnecessary risks (e.g. taking on another big stack on the bubble - taking a flip when still 6 handed).

On the bubble and when everyone is getting short v the blinds, it's all about shoving and calling ranges. You need to open up and think very carefully before calling an all-in if all or most of your stack is at risk.

Variance on a long sample should be low, short term they can of course be swingy.

Any +ROI is good but expect even if you are winning to be no more than 2-5% on a large sample size at turbos. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Phantom, good stuff. I went to see my mate yesterday and had a look through a few of his hand histories and found him limping and calling out of <15BB stack with hands like J,3 and 4,10 just because they were suited, advised he needs to stop bleeding chips with stuff like that.
  • Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited June 2016
    My first advice would be to stop playing turbo dyms. There is only a handful of people on the site that beat these games in the long run because of the rake. Even if you move to the 3.30 level they are still extremely hard to beat the rake due to the high variance in them. If rake was 5% they would be beatable.

My advice is of course be tight first 2 levels, level 1 3x maybe 2.5 and from level 2 minraise or shove. level 4-5 just shove depending on you chip stacks of course. Also dont be afraid of getting it in with the likes of 1010 JJ in level 1 as you may not get another chance because of the blinds increasing so quickly.

Playing the 30p ones are great to gain experience, this is exactly what i did but your not going to make much from them. But as Phantom says getting 50 or 100 points with these are great as you get into the freerolls or get your token. 

Actucally the new 1.05 hyper 6 max has a better structure and more play in them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cheers for the advice Stuarty.