You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Playing post-flop in 4-bet pots

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited August 2016 in Strategy
4- handed.  BB 3-bets.  BB is one of the better regs at these levels I think and I know is mixing it up with their 3 bets, would imagine has adjusted better to being 4-handed than I have and adjusted 3b ranges accordingly.

I actually had position on him on a couple of tables at the time and in the short term I was 3 betting him more frequently than I would on average.  He hadn't played back much, the odd 4-bet but mostly folds rather than play OOP.  I take that to mean that he's tending to fold junk and 4-bet only for value.

Hate these spots where I often call IP but then miss flop, feel obliged to float once on dry board / with backdoors and then give up most turns.  So thought 4-bet bluff would be preferable here, particularly given I expect oppo to jam or fold (I fold to a jam... although obviously dwell a bit for dramatic effect).

Obviously plan ruined.  I don't think there can be much of a calling range here though.  Feel like they may have gone with AK, so caps things at AQ/99-QQ.  Not sure what else would call in this spot (maybe trapping with AA).

Is that range just too tight?  It was that which made me check behind on flop.

Turn smashes it just as much, would now only be 99 and JJ that aren't crushing me and I have a blocker to JJ.  He has the capacity to slow-play and give me a chance to bluff my AK here definitely.  He knows I can get too aggro (I'd done a stack to another player that hit-and-ran with AK 30-40 mins before this hand).

And yet. Feels too soft to just give up when checked to twice, esp now I turn a double-gutter. Betting turn / sizing fair? Trying to make it look a bit valuey.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sb           Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £20.17
out           Sitout     
reg           Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £40.75
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

shakinaces Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £19.63
UTG Fold     
Sb           Fold     
reg           Raise  £1.70 £2.60 £39.05
shakinaces Raise  £5.00 £7.60 £14.63
reg           Call  £3.70 £11.30 £35.35
Flop

reg           Check     
shakinaces Check     
Turn

• Q

reg           Check     
shakinaces Bet £5.55

Comments

• craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited May 2016
    AJo is the last hand i'd want to 4bet pre. Your only hope would be him folding, if he doesn't then you'll be left in some very difficult positions postflop against a range of hands likely to dominate you most days. If you believe his 3betting range is wide and think he'll cbet most flops then doing a semi bluff with those overcards could work, as a reg boards containing cards lower than J will dangerous especially those connected and you could try using these boards to as an attempt to bluff sets and two pair.

I agree with yourself on his range of hands on the flop and having got a number of runner runner draws ch will be best.

if you intending to make a bet on the turn I'd go smaller, doing a Ch/R he's bound to be holding better hand and this sort of size might just make him all the more confident your actually doing  value bet with maybe AQ, The other thing good aout a small value bet is it means his odd would be worse if you were intent on going all in on the river.
  • grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited August 2016
    Meh, if youthink its not strong enough to call I dont hate the 4b, would prefer Axs though.Think your 4b is a little big, especially if you dont expect him to flat

Id prob bet the flop small but I suck at these spots.

As played think I take a free card