You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

advice in this spot

JoshG943JoshG943 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2021 in Strategy
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/20041049_CEBADB703E

This is a hand from a pokerstars however i play on sky and like these forums, anyway: 

im the BB, on the bubble in a sit and go, should i be calling this shove? Would i play it differently if Player 3 and player 4's stacks were reversed but the same actions occurred.
I feel i may have made a mistake folding here but im not sure

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,670
    edited July 2016

Morning Josh.

I'm sensing you lost this SNG, & so are now looking back wondering if you should have made this call.

Personally, I think the fold is correct. We don't have a clue where we are in the hand, we are just guessing. Even if he has 2 random cards we are just flipping. If he had - say - K-Q, K-J etc it's almost 50-50. We do have a slight edge v, say, paint-paint or similar, but it's extremely close. If he has a pair of eights or higher, we are in pretty bad shape. If he has a better Ace we are in shocking shape.

I think it's quite close, but I'm a-folding here.

I have a general rule in these spots - we can shove with far, far worse than A-7 & get it through much of the time or maybe get lucky, and I think shoving with worse beats calling with A-7 most of the time in this spot. 

I should add the game has maybe passed me by, & the experts will be along shortly with a better reply, & tell us about Nash ranges & all that stuff. And they'll probably be correct. But at the level you & I play, & against opponents of similar ability, pushing with poo beats calling with semi-poo all day.

Course, if you played less on 'Stars & more on Sky Poker, you'd likely have a better idea of villain's range, as the player pool here is smaller, & by taking notes, we soon get to know most of our opponents. ;)

One other point. In poker, as in life, I really don't like being pushed around, or being the responder rather than the aggressor. I prefer to do things in MY time, on MY terms, & be pro-active rather than re-active. 

NB - I quit NLH many years ago, as the game got too tough (& boring) for me. If you move across to the 4 card game, you'll find it is far, far easier to turn a profit. Trust me, you will. Most players generally play PLO & PLO8 FAR worse than they play NLH.

Good luck Josh.      

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,030
    edited July 2016
    It's the other small stack, so I am calling all day there.

Mind you, i would have folded in 2008!
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,129
    edited August 2016
    Hi.

In my opinion it completely depends on player 3's style.

I would nearly always call here, unless he is very tight (ie less than 12% PFR when full ring)

Cheers,

G