You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ICM Suicide?

nickkaynickkay Member Posts: 169
edited December 2021 in Strategy
22 players left in the 2k bounty hunter last night 21 paid, blinds 500/1000. I've 9/10 BB but there's 3 or 4 critical stacks of 2/3 BB, I get dealt AK Suited so obv shove to take the blinds, run into kings and that's that.

Can I really pass a hand that strong when a player will bust imminently? I know you can't be results orientated, and it's about maximising profit not min cashing all the time, but just feel I could just pass and wait.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,667
    edited August 2016

Conventional wisdom is "go for the win" but personally, I'm passing here. We have no idea what villain has, we are guessing, & with 2 or 3 ultra shorties, & being right on the bubble, I want to lock up some money before getting all gung-ho.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Had I not taken any bounties and not locked up any money, I'm pretty certain I'm folding without even giving it a second thought, perhaps just unlucky that villain shows up with a monster.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Well yes, he does not show up with a hand that strong very often.

Anyway, if you had bounty money in your pocket already, I guess that changes things really.

• Options
    ALTiltYouALTiltYou Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2016
    Depends on what stake the torny is for me tbh. I do this in a 5£ with like 100 up top as I usually take a risk to accumulate a stack for the FT and if I'm out then it's only like a couple of quid bubble. Also think in lower tornys hands like AQ/AJ A10s and some weird hands will call you off. In a 110 I fold, bigger bubble and the players are smart enough that play these to know that you are not shoving light here on the bubble, so will probably only call AA/KK
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited August 2016
    Bounty Hunters are fairly top heavy where there's an incentive to go for the win. Especially as the winner also gets the bounties left on the the table as well as most the money. I personally would shove the AK without giving it much thought here, it's just unfortunate you happened to run into it. 
    If it was a sateliite where players got the same prize for cashing It would easily be a fold.

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: ICM Suicide?:
    Bounty Hunters are fairly top heavy where there's an incentive to go for the win. Especially as the winner also gets the bounties left on the the table as well as most the money. I personally would shove the AK without giving it much thought here, it's just unfortunate you happened to run into it.  If it was a sateliite where players got the same prize for cashing It would easily be a fold.
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Agree with groggy, also post bubble you will get looked up extremely lightly if you blind right down as its a BH so it means you need to find a hand or get lucky post bubble whereas if we maintain our stack we have some FE. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: ICM Suicide? : Agree with groggy, also post bubble you will get looked up extremely lightly if you blind right down as its a BH so it means you need to find a hand or get lucky post bubble whereas if we maintain our stack we have some FE. 
    Posted by MattBates

Cheers for the input guys, it was a fold with players about to bust but we live and learn. Also, if it's a sat as grog has mentioned, of course I'm folding all day long.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: ICM Suicide? : Agree with groggy, also post bubble you will get looked up extremely lightly if you blind right down as its a BH so it means you need to find a hand or get lucky post bubble whereas if we maintain our stack we have some FE. 
    Posted by MattBates

To translate that, Matt is saying it's best not to be too short.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited August 2016
    Hey Nick,

It is to strong a hand to fold with 10 bigs - you have a monster - it's just a cooler i woke up with Kings.

You did the right thing jamming.

The money in tournaments, any tournament, is always in the top 3 positions.

We need to give ourself the best opportunity to reach the FT and hopefully go all the way.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Hey Nick, It is to strong a hand to fold with 10 bigs - you have a monster - it's just a cooler i woke up with Kings. You did the right thing jamming. The money in tournaments, any tournament, is always in the top 3 positions. We need to give ourself the best opportunity to reach the FT and hopefully go all the way.
    Posted by LARSON7

You could have folded ;)