You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

BANKROLL

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
My bankroll seems to be constantly going down at the mo,bad beats etc. anyone got any ideas of increasing bankrolls safely, i play alot of cash, this may be the problem. any help would be grateful!

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    play double your money games... at least if you are losing then it will go down very slowly.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: BANKROLL:
    play double your money games... at least if you are losing then it will go down very slowly.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Agreed, cuts down on varience too, mind you I dont like cash games anyway :)
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: BANKROLL : Agreed, cuts down on varience too, mind you I dont like cash games anyway :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    also agreed

ive just made a £100 profit in just over a month playing mainly £2/£3 dym's

i know to some on here that might seem a small amount but im playing purely as a hobbie so im happy!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nice one donkeyplop... just keep grinding your roll up!
  • Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2010
    i am in a similar position rambo bankroll on its way down, but thats poker its gonna fall at times and it can be due to bad beats or holes in peoples games, for me its both but all in all its managing things, when it goes bad, play through the bad with the most limited damage to your stack as possible.

My advice is no different from theres DYM's are the best way to build your bankroll effectively, but if you lose it doesnt hit you as hard, reason these are the most effective I feel of the STT's is that you only have to come in the top half to double up and doesnt matter about placement its either double or nothing meaning it goes up or down but down is less steep as when your playing cash.

Another thing I would suggest is to build up your DYM buy in's by your winnings. Set yourself an amount in your bankroll your willing to spend for that day say a £5+admin. So if you only play £1 DYM's you get 5 games and if you lose well unlucky but you lost a £5 only but if you win you enter another £1, if you win 3 so thats £2.50 winnings after fee roughly then you can enter a £2.25 one and then if you lose your no worse than when you started, but your bankroll will increase quicker if you win. Obviously this depends on how much you play in a day but thats what my plan was when I was playing STT's, not that I stuck to it but will this time lol.

Donkey thats impressive in the 2/3 DYM's so well done and to me thats a serious profit, I do play semi seriously but only at low stakes so obviously its just grinding up a bankroll atm to then play higher when I can afford it without it crippling my bankroll lol.

best of luck anyways Rambo and might see you on the tables Donkey sometime
  • Options
    Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
    edited January 2010
    If you like playing cash and you are a winning player suffering a downswing then just move up and down accordingly. But be honest with yourself. If your not then improve your game, read new strategies etc.. Playing DYM if your losing won't help in the long run.

Good Luck
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can see where you are coming from Ms Chips and well I have played on cash tables with you so I know you a good cash player and by sounds of it only a cash player, but for someone like me who has to protect his BR at times cause he has worked hard to build it when you are going through a bad run or just going through multiple cold decks as it can feel sometimes well frankly I think DYM's are a good release to limit the damage for just a mere temporary basis.

Multiple reasons for this;
    - 6 Players so not many chips in play
    - fast blinds means aggressive styles, like cash, get favourable plays
    - Also suited to the tighter player with top 3 all doubling up so you can allow the LAG's to just knock themselves out

I think in this sense its a case of personal preference and the state of your BR, like rambo sayin its going down well by how much if its minimal damage anyways just play it out possibly if its substancial like 20% of your stack in 3 days for example then possible a cool off would be good and DYM gives you that cool off with the possibility to slower rebuild your BR however slight.
  • Options
    Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
    edited January 2010
    I can see where you are coming from Ms Chips and well I have played on cash tables with you so I know you a good cash player and by sounds of it only a cash player, but for someone like me who has to protect his BR at times cause he has worked hard to build it when you are going through a bad run or just going through multiple cold decks as it can feel sometimes well frankly I think DYM's are a good release to limit the damage for just a mere temporary basis. Multiple reasons for this; - 6 Players so not many chips in play - fast blinds means aggressive styles, like cash, get favourable plays - Also suited to the tighter player with top 3 all doubling up so you can allow the LAG's to just knock themselves out I think in this sense its a case of personal preference and the state of your BR, like rambo sayin its going down well by how much if its minimal damage anyways just play it out possibly if its substancial like 20% of your stack in 3 days for example then possible a cool off would be good and DYM gives you that cool off with the possibility to slower rebuild your BR however slight.
    Posted by Spike2120
    I take your point spike. My bankroll was a free 5 pounds from sky and i started on 1dym.  All i'm saying though is that if he is not a winning player then he needs to imporve his strategy. Im not suggesting he doesn't play DYM. What i said is, if he likes cash then improve his game. He can play DYM until he has done so because if he doesn't then he will be a losing player and DYM won't stop that.

Regards
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok that makes more sense now and I see your point well I know for me its slightly bad play, but mainly bad luck and run of cards lol but i think we were all assuming he has been a winning player with the way he spoke in his post lol perhaps we were wrong in that assumption but only person to answer that for us will be rambo lol

anyways bed for me enough 30 sec bollywood clips by Rich Orford for one night lol, just proves what you can find on this forum when your browsing lol.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

The phrase 'building a bankroll' is used alot, all it is, is a technical way of saying 'winning' If your winning, ur gunna be making more money, hence building a bankroll. The best way to do this is to work at your game, and play better. If there was an easy way of doing this, everyone would be doing it. Just play better...

H8 the double your money suggestions though, stick to cash, but work at your game. If you have to, sit there
    on 4 tables for 12 hours a day and only play the nuts, u are certain to build a bankroll (win) doing that.

GL, DOHH
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited January 2010
    In Response to BANKROLL:
    My bankroll seems to be constantly going down at the mo,bad beats etc. anyone got any ideas of increasing bankrolls safely, i play alot of cash, this may be the problem. any help would be grateful!
    Posted by rambo27229
    you say "i play alot of cash, this may be the problem" the more you play the more things should even out unless you have bad flaws in your game, if you are propley bank rolled for the stakes you play you shouldnt have a problem, swings are part of the game everyone has them, after i have a losing session i like to go through certain hands looking for leaks and mistakes to see were and if i went wrong should i of played this different etc etc, good luck
  • Options
    MacacanMacacan Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2010
    I read through loads of these threads on the forum which all seem to get excellent replies, but i cant help noticing a dislike for playing the cash tables. I mostly play cash and prefer them to DYM and the likes of, simply because i feel i can earn more on them. Can anyone advise as to why the cash tables are so disliked.

• Options
    edited January 2010

I read through loads of these threads on the forum which all seem to get excellent replies, but i cant help noticing a dislike for playing the cash tables. I mostly play cash and prefer them to DYM and the likes of, simply because i feel i can earn more on them. Can anyone advise as to why the cash tables are so disliked.
    Posted by Macacan
    Its not that the cash tables are disliked i just personally found the game easy to learn whilst playing only dym. Its just because they are quite easy to grind out a sure and steady profit with a tight strategy and there are smaller stakes whereas i would say you need at least £40 bankroll to play the smallest cash.