You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Master Cash, 23rd January - Make Your Play

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Just the one this week - the Show does not really have time to do two, tonight.

The game is £2 - £4.

Hero has 100 x BB, Villain covers us comfortably.

Villain has been playing "nitty". (If you are unsure what "nitty" means , please ask).

Hero has been "active". ;)

Hero Raises it up from UTG with Ks-Kh

Everyone passes, to Villain (SB) who smooths.

Flop is 5d-8s-7h

Villain Checks, Hero bets £10.

Villain now check-raises to £35.

We now make it £70.

Villain now makes it an extra £125 to go!

Fold?

Call?

Raise?

Please VOTE, also feel free to discuss the hand on the Thread, including "why". If you want to e-Mail your reply to the Show (make it brief, please) the e-Addy is skyopen@bskyb.com

Comments

• Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2010
    due to our loose image i am raising again here every day of the week

always the chance the nit has just had enough of our constant re raising and is making a stand with a weaker holding

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    How much is the pre-flop raise?

I'm folding anyway.
    If he's really a nit, it looks like a sure fire set to me.
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    That's a real toughie

A nit smoothing preflop OOP screams a pair up to Jacks (pos Queens),  I think we can discount Aces here as I would expect a tight player to re-pop here.

So onto the flop.  We correctly lead out and get check raised.  At this stage the villain might have a pair 9s to Queens as we have been 'active' so I like our reraise.  As soon as they four-bet I think the alarm bells have to start ringing and I think the villain has hit their set.  A nit just doesn't have the mindset to slow-play top set on a straighty board.  We have only committed around one quarter of our stack, there is no sense losing the rest of it with one pair.

I fold while flipping over my cards and say 'I'm such a rock.'
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    i would also like to no how much the pre flop raise is?

but i think i have to agree with barnsie on this one.

• Options
    edited January 2010

I don't know what the PF Raise was, it was not on the sheet I was given, but it's fairly acedemic really, just assume 3 x BB.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited January 2010
    Fold.  This is a set everyday of the week IMO.

Some nits might be meta-gaming, taking advantage of their image with something like 76dd, but I think thats like less than 10% of the time here.

Oh and one thing TK....I have noticed that these make your plays are always on the higher levels...surely as most of the players who tune in/respond will be playing a lot lower, I think that often skews the answers a bit as they wouldn't have had the experience of shipping in 400£ plus on one pot....not a criticism or anything, just feel that as the shows rotate levels then the hands should do too.
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Looks alot like 99-QQ or a set to me. Either way the Hero's flop bet is very small (assuming its been a 4BB Raise then the pot will be £36 including the BB) so the bet should be  £20-25. It's a super dry board so all that's beating you is a set here, stack it all day long.

A Nit will shove on 99 on this board as he has a draw and probably puts you on a Cbet or a SC type hand to which u can outdraw him.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash, 23rd January - Make Your Play:
    Fold.  This is a set everyday of the week IMO. Some nits might be meta-gaming, taking advantage of their image with something like 76dd, but I think thats like less than 10% of the time here. Oh and one thing TK....I have noticed that these make your plays are always on the higher levels...surely as most of the players who tune in/respond will be playing a lot lower, I think that often skews the answers a bit as they wouldn't have had the experience of shipping in 400£ plus on one pot....not a criticism or anything, just feel that as the shows rotate levels then the hands should do too.
    Posted by scotty77
    Noted Ryan, & I actually agree 100%.

We'll address it next week.

Good spot sir.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010
    What exactly does this term NIT mean? - Does the N the I and the T mean something??? or is it just a term!

If NIT means tight, which I assume it does, and this guys been playing the so called optimum 'Tight aggressive' strategy, then he isn't certain to have a hand here as hes gonna bet strongly and represent a strong hand everytime.

But....I fold. Maybe 5/6 weeks ago I call here, but have started making big folds where previously ida lost my stack. Its working, results r improving, and the phrase that keeps coming up, is 'a bad fold is not as bad, as a bad call" ! - That enough bads for ya?

Saw a cash game on pokertube once, Phil Ivey had kings, was an overpair on a similar board, but facing a huge overbet from a fella he just chucked his hand away. If I believe Im the best player at the table then theres easier ways to make money, so I fold, and wait for one of these spots. 

Hard to read someone for a set online, he can play aces kings and queens the same way here - but of those possible hands, I can only beat the queens and split with the kings, I'm out, fold!

DOHH
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2010
    I think our image of the player makes this an easy fold. nitty players don't come over the top of us twice on the flop unless they've got the goods

Salazar
  • Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2010
    Can't do anything but fold not against a very tight player if they keep coming over the top then they must have something easiest fold ever for me.

Also doesn't help we have a slightly loose image meaning the villian will be putting us on a wider range than we would like so even with the premium starting hand its no good on a straightening flop although you might think it is good with the raise pre flop and will have got rid of the villian if he had rubbish but still can't call in this situation in my opinion

Spike2120
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash, 23rd January - Make Your Play:
    Fold.  This is a set everyday of the week IMO. Some nits might be meta-gaming, taking advantage of their image with something like 76dd, but I think thats like less than 10% of the time here. Oh and one thing TK....I have noticed that these make your plays are always on the higher levels...surely as most of the players who tune in/respond will be playing a lot lower, I think that often skews the answers a bit as they wouldn't have had the experience of shipping in 400£ plus on one pot....not a criticism or anything, just feel that as the shows rotate levels then the hands should do too.
    Posted by scotty77
    Just a thought, should be describe these in terms of Big Blinds.  While general player sterotypes change up and down the levels, 99% of the decision making can be done judging stacks in terms of blinds rather than actual money.  In fact in my opinion that's how you should think in these problems.
  • Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Master Cash, 23rd January - Make Your Play:
    Just the one this week - the Show does not really have time to do two, tonight. The game is £2 - £4. Hero has 100 x BB, Villain covers us comfortably. Villain has been playing "nitty". (If you are unsure what "nitty" means , please ask). Hero has been "active". ;) Hero Raises it up from UTG with Ks-Kh Everyone passes, to Villain (SB) who smooths. Flop is 5d-8s-7h Villain Checks, Hero bets £10. Villain now check-raises to £35. We now make it £70. Villain now makes it an extra £125 to go! Fold? Call? Raise? Please VOTE, also feel free to discuss the hand on the Thread, including "why". If you want to e-Mail your reply to the Show (make it brief, please) the e-Addy is skyopen@bskyb.com
    Posted by Tikay10
    alot of questions being asked to villain,who in turn keeps answering,logic says fold,hes hit a set,even 2 prs(78) ...but,may be using table image against hero,could be semi-bluffin with 66/99,or if hes puttin hero on AQ/AK.cheap way out is fold,another questions gonna be VERY COSTLY if the answers the same...would/could villain b slow playin AA? unlikely but not totally unfeasable..against an 'active' player...head says fold,gut says all-in..