You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake

Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Late night deepie. Final 3. Lying second. Hit top pair both times. I feel like I've been mugged.
eds1986 Small blind   150.00 150.00 43532.50
Seagull158 Big blind   300.00 450.00 10020.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

GCSE12 Call   300.00 750.00 5697.50
reds1986 Fold        
Seagull158 Check        
Flop

• J

Seagull158 Check        
GCSE12 Bet   300.00 1050.00 5397.50
Seagull158 Raise   900.00 1950.00 9120.00
GCSE12 Call   600.00 2550.00 4797.50
Turn

Seagull158 Bet   1200.00 3750.00 7920.00
GCSE12 Call   1200.00 4950.00 3597.50
River

Seagull158 Bet   2100.00 7050.00 5820.00
GCSE12 All-in   3597.50 10647.50 0.00
Seagull158 Call   1497.50 12145.00 4322.50
Seagull158 Show
  • J

GCSE12 Show
  • A
  • A

GCSE12 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 12145.00   12145.00
Seagull158 Small blind   200.00 200.00 4022.50
GCSE12 Big blind   400.00 600.00 11745.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

reds1986 Fold        
Seagull158 Raise   800.00 1400.00 3222.50
GCSE12 Raise   2400.00 3800.00 9345.00
Seagull158 Call   1800.00 5600.00 1422.50
Flop

• K

Seagull158 All-in   1422.50 7022.50 0.00
GCSE12 All-in   9345.00 16367.50 0.00
GCSE12 Unmatched bet   7922.50 8445.00 7922.50
Seagull158 Show
  • K

GCSE12 Show
  • A
  • A

Turn

River

• J

GCSE12 Win Pair of Aces 8445.00   16367.50

Comments

• Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Another "bad beat" / Cooler thread?

Boring!
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

First one, never go broke in an unraised pot? lol Its so frustrating tho making a move and running into AA or KK, or QQ when you KNOW for sure these r the only hands this guys gonna play bak with. Ugh, sinking feeling.

UL in 2nd one, DOHH
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake:
    Another "bad beat" / Cooler thread? Boring!
    Posted by Deadluck
    Nice post Dead*uck. Thought it was very unusual for someone to get AA twice in 2 minutes, especially at the back end of a tournament when there's only 3 left. I will be continuing to read your usual scintillating posts concerning your exploits on the 2p/4p tables. Make sure you keep us all informed and entertained I look forwad to your highly educational posts and I'm sure many less experienced players do also.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    First one, never go broke in an unraised pot? lol Its so frustrating tho making a move and running into AA or KK, or QQ when you KNOW for sure these r the only hands this guys gonna play bak with. Ugh, sinking feeling. UL in 2nd one, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    What should I have done in the first one Dohx7? Congrats on your TP selection.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

I dunno mate Im not sat in that position, If Im put in your position 3 different times, I probably play 3 different ways, one of which wud be the way u played it, it all depends on my instincts and my feel for my opponent and the situation. It really is difficult to just answer "what shud I have done...." - Cuz I dnt know myself, whatever felt right I guess?

Maybe look at controlling the pot size, flatting the flop maybe, check calling, or raising the flop then slowing down when u faced resistance? Im not saying u played it badly, as you obviously went with your read - Which no1 can fault u for.

Its pretty obvious that if he has a hand, he has you beat, by the way he has played it, so ur question is, is he bluffing or not? I think u fell in love with your top pair a bit, look at top pair no kicker in the same way as u would look at 2nd pair top kicker, I do that sometimes to avoid getting married to a hand.

If u were just playing the man, then ur play is fine.

GL, and thanx, DOHH

• Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    Hi Seagull

Im afraid that you are falling in love with junky hands in the blinds!

This is a classic mistake that i used to make.

With the blinds you have to say that if i wouldnt play this hand anywhere else on the table why would i play it in the blinds? Dont fall in love with top pair rubbish kicker, there are lots of trappy people who limp with aces and stuff!

Gl at the tables

hoggers
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi Seagull Im afraid that you are falling in love with junky hands in the blinds! This is a classic mistake that i used to make. With the blinds you have to say that if i wouldnt play this hand anywhere else on the table why would i play it in the blinds? Dont fall in love with top pair rubbish kicker, there are lots of trappy people who limp with aces and stuff! Gl at the tables hoggers
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Thanks for the advice Hoggers. I will take it on board.I really appreciate that you and Dohx7 have posted educational and informative replies. it make a nice change to Mr Dead's childish response.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    dude come on u ran into aces its pretty standard. just dont pay him off without a kicker next time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Btw why are you minraising and then smooth calling a 3bet in hand#2? Either get it in preflop or fold.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    dude come on u ran into aces its pretty standard. just dont pay him off without a kicker next time.
    Posted by Deadluck
    Now that's much better young man. but, Dud, the kicker didn't make any difference as she had Aces against my Jacks and Kings.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake : Now that's much better young man. but, Dud, the kicker didn't make any difference as she had Aces against my Jacks and Kings.
    Posted by Seagull158

Yes, this time, but alot of other times you'll be outkicked and out the tourney as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake : Yes, this time, but alot of other times you'll be outkicked and out the tourney as well.
    Posted by Deadluck
    Ok, I get it. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If it matters, and I blame this on having just just woken up (some might call this tilt), I apologise for being out of line to you...

And if you still care - Hand #1 I prob play the same until the river i just check/fold unless he makes his river bet really small.
    Hand #2 i just fold after his 3bet.
  • Options
    sikassikas Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2010
    best hand won both times imo

also....why would u ever play J3?
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2010
    First hand is horrible, second hand is worse. NEVER go broke in a unraised pot. Especially with top pair 3 kicker. Second hand, why are you calling a 3-bet pre flop with k8 for half your stack. Sorry but this is rubbish and as far as i'm concerned you got what you deserved. Forget what your opponent has or whether you win the hand or not, just try and make the correct decision.

Salazar
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good pointsIn Response to Re: Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake:
    First hand is horrible, second hand is worse. NEVER go broke in a unraised pot. Especially with top pair 3 kicker. Second hand, why are you calling a 3-bet pre flop with k8 for half your stack. Sorry but this is rubbish and as far as i'm concerned you got what you deserved. Forget what your opponent has or whether you win the hand or not, just try and make the correct decision. Salazar
    Posted by salazar
    Good points. What can I say? It was late. We were down to the final 3. She was the shortstack and I thought I could take her out. That was the first hand.I was trying to steal and i should have check folded as soon as she called me. The second hand was 2 minutesa fter the first one. I was probably tilting but I couldn't see any way my kings weren't good. I was gobsmacked when she turned over AA again.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I dunno mate Im not sat in that position, If Im put in your position 3 different times, I probably play 3 different ways, one of which wud be the way u played it, it all depends on my instincts and my feel for my opponent and the situation. It really is difficult to just answer "what shud I have done...." - Cuz I dnt know myself, whatever felt right I guess? Maybe look at controlling the pot size, flatting the flop maybe, check calling, or raising the flop then slowing down when u faced resistance? Im not saying u played it badly, as you obviously went with your read - Which no1 can fault u for. Its pretty obvious that if he has a hand, he has you beat, by the way he has played it, so ur question is, is he bluffing or not? I think u fell in love with your top pair a bit, look at top pair no kicker in the same way as u would look at 2nd pair top kicker, I do that sometimes to avoid getting married to a hand. If u were just playing the man, then ur play is fine. GL, and thanx, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Doh, I've sent you a PM.
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2010
    Good pointsIn Response to Re: Twice in 2 minutes? For goodness sake : Good points. What can I say? It was late. We were down to the final 3. She was the shortstack and I thought I could take her out. That was the first hand.I was trying to steal and i should have check folded as soon as she called me. The second hand was 2 minutesa fter the first one. I was probably tilting but I couldn't see any way my kings weren't good. I was gobsmacked when she turned over AA again.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Well there's no doubt that when you're 3 handed your hands improve but still. The moment you got 3-bet in the second hand you have to decide whether your k8 is good. If you think it is, raise all in, if not, fold. Call i think is the last option and the worst, especially when half your stack would be in the middle. Whether the king comes on the flop or not you are pretty much committed so why not just push pre if you think you're good?

Try to keep things simple for yourself, take a few seconds and ask yourself am i good? It seems simple and it is at this stage of the tourney. Calls are nearly always wrong at this stage because you are committing too much of your stack.

Salazar