You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

sponsorship sites? - Are they fake?

mickgreenmickgreen Member Posts: 99
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
okay guys i types in poker sponsorships on google and found several sites that ask for you to deposit so much into your account. It then goes on to say from there you need to play so many games? and after that they will analyse your game and could offer a sponsorship deal with them? Is this real or just another internet scam?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010

Mick - STEER CLEAR of all that nonsense.

Just assume sponsorship does not exist, & play your poker. If you are good enough.....

a) You won't need sponsorship

b) A sponsor will spot you & make you an offer. (A million to one shot, by the way).

Please don't go chasing dreams.
  • Options
    AskiAski Member Posts: 263
    edited January 2010
    Mick

When they say deposit so much into your account, do they actually mean the your account on the poker site you are going to play for them to evaluate.

The only reason I say this is I've looked at a few of these since you asked the question and on most sites I've looked at this seems to be the response to the cost issue

Are there any costs to participate?
    No. It is totally free to participate, but you will of course need your own money to play with during the evaluation

Then you have to play so many number of hands at cash or tournies and then they analyse your account after that, and thus decide if they can offer a sponsorship deal.

Now I would guess that you have to play on certain sites , as these sponsorship sites will have a deal with the online card rooms etc.

Another sites says deposit $30 with a well known online card site, and if after 3000 hands you are able to break even, then they will offer a $50 per day sponsorship.

So I cant see where the sponsorship site is taking money off you, nor asking for any of your bank details. Obviosuly they have some association with the various online poker sites, as a requirement is that they review the hands you have played before they offer any sort of deal, so that may be of concern.

For $30 if I was a good enough player then I'd guess I would be tempted. If you win big on the site, then you withdrawe your winnings before your game is reviewed, if you lose your $30, then it proves you arent good enough for the sponsorship deal, and if you break even and sponsorship doesnt occur, you still have that bankroll to play with on whichever site you signed up to. Plus this site I've looked at the sponsorship is actually from teh card site themselves, you play for free, or within whatever allowance they give you, and you take half the profit, with the site keeping the other half. This is with a site thats been around for 10 years, no idea if they are respected but they are a well known name.

As Loony says tho anyone that ask for any financial details from you I would steer clear of, but if a site said register with Sky Poker, deposited £50, play 3000 games, let us review the hands to be able to offer you a sponsorship deal, would you be prepared to do so. If you answer yes to that, then why not with another reputable site,

You just need to be wary and find out what exactly do they mean when they mention depositing money

Aski (Col)

Having just seen Tikay's reply, Ignore everything I've posted, as he will know a lot more about these things than myself
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited January 2010

Tikay do SkyPoker ever sponsor anybody on an individual basis? I am not referring to total player. I mean on a more permanent basis; poker playing ambassadors that play at specified tournaments to get the Skypoker brand out there.

Browndog
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There is confusing teminology in this Thread.

"Sponsorship" & "Staking" are completely different things.

The OP has confused the two. He asks about sponsorship, but refers to staking sites.

Staking sites do NOT sponsor you as such.

I'm happy to go through both in detail, but it'll have to wait until Monday I'm afraid, as I'm a bit busy on other stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: sponsorship sites? - Are they fake?:
    Tikay do SkyPoker ever sponsor anybody on an individual basis? I am not referring to total player. I mean on a more permanent basis; poker playing ambassadors that play at specified tournaments to get the Skypoker brand out there. Browndog
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Hi Dog,

No, not at present.......
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited January 2010
    as sum1 else said these guys get referal money for introducing you to their affiliated sites and if your a winning player after 3000 hands would you need staking??? would you want to give half of it away??
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: sponsorship sites? - Are they fake?:
    as sum1 else said these guys get referal money for introducing you to their affiliated sites and if your a winning player after 3000 hands would you need staking??? would you want to give half of it away??
    Posted by N1CK
    +1

Glory be......
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited January 2010
    I think the site  "Aski"   is talking about is the site I used to play  with a sponsorship deal ...  It's all OK  and legit ..  However , what you have to  ask yourself is this ..
    Do you really want to  spend around 40 + hrs a week playing online poker ? 
    I mean what sort of  life is that ? ...   I did it for about 3 -4 weeks , the obvious part from the company involved is they make the rake (you get some back) .. 

My thoughts are , Life  is  for living, get out in to the real world, were only here once.
    Play live yes that's great fun and  meet some wonderful people .. 
    To me now,  walking my dog and  playing  online poker for fun in the hope of making a small profit is all i want  from the game .. 

Playing live  well  that's  different,  I'll always enjoy these days  but as  TK said, there are very few players who stay with the sponsorship deal, mainly because they arent good enough, but I just couldn't live that kind of life at a computer all day every day grinding to make a profit .. seems boring sad  to me  but each  to their own !!

glk to those who go for it ....
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited January 2010
    there are a couple of very trustworthy staking sites out there, however from your thread the other day I don't think that it would be worth your time trying to qualify.  i know some very good players, who tried to qualify AND they showed consistent profits over the course of their hands, who weren't selected.

it is very tough to get into them. 

the best thing you can do mick is to take on board the advice offered on this forum, and others, to improve your game and BR.

there are a lot of people with a great deal of experience, and just by reading this forum for 30mins a day and posting some hands, you will notice your game improve.

• Options
    edited January 2010

Brilliant Post by scotty, says it all.

If you are good enough, you'll do alright. If you are not, it's no good thinking the Fairy StakingMother or Sponsorship Fairy will help. They won't.

We can aim high, but we must keep our feet on the ground, otherwise it all ends in tears.
  • Options
    steveburkesteveburke Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2010
    hi, some interesting views on this thread so far. alot of sound advice as well.

i have alot of knowledge of the sponsorship process and know the pro'sand conn's pretty well as i currently play for and have written articles for one of the main uk poker sponsorship web sites. here goes.....

advantages

a managed bankroll
    usually but not always a free mentoring/coaching session per week, plugs your leaks ect ect, 
    bigger rakeback than ordinary players can get,  around 47%
    helps no end with the swings involved in poker, which we all know have broken some of the best in the business.

disadvantages

they take a cut of your profits ranging from 50% to 30 % approx
    have heard reports that mentoring has not been upto much, not sure how true this is as the more u win the more they win!!!, but i can imagine mentors have different skill levels themselves so this is possible.
    can't think of alot else thats negative about it.
    poker stops being fun if you saw it as fun before.

sponsorship works for me and ive come on leaps and bounds because of it, however....it does take a ton of your time up, i play about 40k+ hands a month on my sponsored account ( 2 tableing heads up cash) but i dont mind as i know were i want to get to in poker and this is my means of getting there.

i wouldn't recommend sponsorship or knock it, guess its upto the individual and their circumstances, it is an option to explore if you so wish.

As tikay writes above, sponsorship isnt going to turn you into something your not, only determination and the effort you put into your poker will ever make you a better player.

• Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited January 2010
    Great Post    Steve,      you pretty much got everything right there  :))

• Options
    SpikeladSpikelad Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree with Bennydip on this one i think his reply says it all but if playing 40+ hours a week online is for you then go for it.