You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bank roll management

weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
edited November 2016 in Chat with Channing
Hi Neil I enjoyed the cash game this morning I only intended to rail but I decided to give it a go I very rarely play cash .I play low stakes tournies and 10p .20p spin ups I don't really count these as cash games I play purely for fun and the buzz my br is just over 200 after I just made a withdrawal should I be sitting at a 5p 10p cash game with this size of a br 

Comments

• Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited November 2016

The general advice people give for bankroll requirements is to never sit in a cash game or start a session, (if playing more tables), with more than 5% of your total poker bankroll in play.

It is important to differentiate between your poker bankroll and your entire net worth. If you have £200 which you use for poker and you sit with £10 then you'll be more relaxed about losing, AND THEREFORE BE ABLE TO PLAY WELL, if you can easily take another £200 from your "normal life money" if things go wrong one week. The obvious reason to be aware of this stuff is that you obviously can't play if you have no money but I hidden reason is that without enough money it becomes really hard to play your best. Sometimes you just have to make the big call but it's hard when the money really hurts.

One thing people struggle with is changing stakes. If you are losing and the bankroll is taking a hit there is nothing wrong with stepping down and regrouping, it's good for confidence to win at any stakes. You can then step up by adding tables rather than by jumping in stakes. This makes the variance lower as a big AK vs QQ hand on just one of four tables at lower stakes is way less important that in would be if you played just one table at double stakes. That should help remove the emotional involvement you can have with each hand.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Bank roll management:
     The general advice people give for bankroll requirements is to never sit in a cash game or start a session, (if playing more tables), with more than 5% of your total poker bankroll in play.  It is important to differentiate between your poker bankroll and your entire net worth. If you have £200 which you use for poker and you sit with £10 then you'll be more relaxed about losing, AND THEREFORE BE ABLE TO PLAY WELL, if you can easily take another £200 from your "normal life money" if things go wrong one week. The obvious reason to be aware of this stuff is that you obviously can't play if you have no money but I hidden reason is that without enough money it becomes really hard to play your best. Sometimes you just have to make the big call but it's hard when the money really hurts.  One thing people struggle with is changing stakes. If you are losing and the bankroll is taking a hit there is nothing wrong with stepping down and regrouping, it's good for confidence to win at any stakes. You can then step up by adding tables rather than by jumping in stakes. This makes the variance lower as a big AK vs QQ hand on just one of four tables at lower stakes is way less important that in would be if you played just one table at double stakes. That should help remove the emotional involvement you can have with each hand.
    Posted by NChanning
    Thanks for the answer Neil think it's best if I just steer clear of cash games till I get a lot more experience