You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£3 Turbo DYM facing UTG limp on the Button

Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Still 6 handed but blinds are 50/100.

I have 775 chips.

I toyed with a fold, call and a jam here.

What would you do and why?

No previous notes on limper, odd play from that stack, I have seen it done with "limp type" hands and with monsters to "induce action".

SB is fairly new but seems solid
BB is a solid reg

I think both of their calling ranges are pretty tight if I shove.

Player

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SB
Small blind   50.00 50.00 1137.50
BB
Big blind   100.00 150.00 825.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

UTG
Call   100.00 250.00 415.00
UTG+1
Fold        
C/O
Fold        
Phantom66 ???????

Comments

• Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited January 2017
    I'm never calling.

The only thing that puts me slightly off jamming is the stack size they've limped from, if they'd limped off 10xbb then I'd 100% jam without a second thought (assuming no notes on them limping monsters obv).

I still think it's a jam and I really wouldn't be surprised to see a fold here (even with their stack being so small) which is a great result.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yes I did only consider the call briefly while having doubts over the jam or the fold. I would be happy to be in position v this player but no sense in bringing one or more of the blinds with us and I think at least one of them is good enough to jam light here.

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited February 2017
    If it's a turbo 775 at 100/50 i am waiting for a better spot 6 handed as the utg limp should call with only 415 behind.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    In the end I did jam.

And it pretty much went as expected - Blinds folded, the limper called and I was ahead (v 5d2d) and I lost.

Taking the result out of the equation I am still not sure whether the shove was correct.

The only thing about waiting for a "better spot" is that it is a Turbo DYM and I am already < 8bbs. Arguably though shoving 72o in an unopened pot is a better spot.

Generally open limpers are weaker players and I see far more limp/calls and limp/folds (with even smaller stacks) than I do limpers with monsters and you tend to remember them and take a note.

If we assume a broad limper range and high likelihood of a call is it still right to shove?

I was better than 60/40 in this instance. I have a short stack with 6 still in and I am going to have to take a chance so even 60/40 is pretty good.

I could easily be flipping v small pair but if 52s is anything to go by I am probably right to factor in a lot of connectors and gapped suited connectors. I also think with my K is a blocker to some limped monsters I am probably more likely to be dominating Jx Kx combos than I am to be dominated. 

I will get folds sometimes. 

Probably very marginal overall but I am edging towards the shove.

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited February 2017
    The thing with turbo's is at 50/100 6 handed if everyone had there starting stacks you all only have 10 bb's,that's why i adjust my shoving bb sizing.You can't just think i am under 'X' amount of blinds like a deeper game it's all relative.Most likely 1-2 players have better than starting stacks leaving the rest below 10 bb's.
    With almost 8 bb's on the btn & a short limper patience is my preffered option.
    At 75/150 deffo more aggressive no one is that deep then.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Totally get what you are saying bels.

My DYM results have improved precisely by being more patient and picking better spots to risk chips in.

I don't get too hung up on bb's in DYMs, main focus is not being THE short stack and trying to keep fold equity.

With it being a turbo I expect my next BB will be 150 so not much time left.

Obviously not loving life to be called by a small pair or Ax, while I would expect a shove with those hands there shouldn't be a limp range at all UTG with that stack, so I cannot rule those hands out, or indeed a monster. 

I guess what matters is how often we get folds and how often we get called and are indeed favourite.

Pretty convinced from yours and Lamberts opposing responses that this is a marginal spot, so maybe long term folding or shoving won't make a huge difference. Maybe I should just go with the feel of the table in similar spots.