You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

should i have reraised pre flop

weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceweecheez1Small blind 30.0030.007412.50rolf989Big blind 60.0090.004332.50 Your hole cardsQQ   lolufoldFold    ClaytovFold    xxRaise 180.00270.005177.50ANGIE_GGFold    weecheez1Call 150.00420.007262.50rolf989Fold    Flop  6J9   weecheez1Check    xxBet 240.00660.004937.50weecheez1Raise 1140.001800.006122.50xxCall 900.002700.004037.50Turn  J   weecheez1Bet 2700.005400.003422.50xxCall 2700.008100.001337.50River  J   weecheez1All-in 3422.5011522.500.00xxAll-in 1337.5012860.000.00weecheez1Unmatched bet 2085.0010775.002085.00weecheez1ShowQQ   xxShowJK   xxWinFour Jacks10775.00 10775.00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    the above hand was the one that crippled me in the main i think on reflection i could have got away on the turn but strange as it sounds the jack on the river made my mind up thoughts please
    edit just realised only JJ KK and AA were ahead of me on the turn so if he had it gl
  • Options
    conorshay1conorshay1 Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: should i have reraised pre flop:
    the above hand was the one that crippled me in the main i think on reflection i could have got away on the turn but strange as it sounds the jack on the river made my mind up thoughts please
    Posted by weecheez1

i would of done for sure
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2017
    Probably, it depends,

What was your reasoning for not doing so?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Probably, it depends, What was your reasoning for not doing so?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Lack of confidence 
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: should i have reraised pre flop : Lack of confidence 
    Posted by weecheez1
    That's a bad reason.

A good reason would be because you thought the open raise was from a vary wide range but the would fold to a reraise with most of their range. IE you are keeping a lot of worse hands in, disguising the stength of your hand and can get more value down the streets if they hit part of the flop.

You will be OOP post flop, so generally would have to be up against a player you have reads on and know some weaknesses in their game.

So sometimes I would flat pre, generally it's a 3 bet though.

As for the "lack of confidence", if you are not confident in your post flop game - then how would have played an Axx Kxx flop? That should be what you are worried about so probably better for you to 3bet and keep things simple. Get more chips in while you are more confiident that your hand is ahead.

Unfortunate run out though to be ahead pre and on the flop and behind to a J by the turn.

On the turn you could check and evaluate what to do, the J is a big danger card for you, if it is also one for the opponent they may well just check behind.

By the river when the other J hits as you say now you are only behind to the case J and KK's and AA's which are less likely. Much harder to get away from that spot, 

• Options
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: should i have reraised pre flop : That's a bad reason. A good reason would be because you thought the open raise was from a vary wide range but the would fold to a reraise with most of their range. IE you are keeping a lot of worse hands in, disguising the stength of your hand and can get more value down the streets if they hit part of the flop. You will be OOP post flop, so generally would have to be up against a player you have reads on and know some weaknesses in their game. So sometimes I would flat pre, generally it's a 3 bet though. As for the "lack of confidence", if you are not confident in your post flop game - then how would have played an Axx Kxx flop? That should be what you are worried about so probably better for you to 3bet and keep things simple. Get more chips in while you are more confiident that your hand is ahead. Unfortunate run out though to be ahead pre and on the flop and behind to a J by the turn. On the turn you could check and evaluate what to do, the J is a big danger card for you, if it is also one for the opponent they may well just check behind. By the river when the other J hits as you say now you are only behind to the case J and KK's and AA's which are less likely. Much harder to get away from that spot, 
    Posted by Phantom66
    thanks phantom i was still ahead on the turn as for the confidence my game has been sliding the last two months sounds silly but the game was easier when i didnt know as much and its showing far to many bad decisions need to steady the ship onwards and upwards gl
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited February 2017
    I'm not sure that its a bad reason. It's an honest reason 
    As you're in the small blind and so going to have to play the hand oop I think a raise would be better pre but it's not terrible.
    I like how you played it on the flop. It's a wet board and taking it down now is fine. Once he flats then I'm not sure about the lead on the  turn as it commits you to the hand and it's a really bad card for us.

I get the lack of confidence thing. The trouble is when we start playing a little timidly pre we often end up losing a big pot in the end.

You weren't ahead on the turn btw :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm not sure that its a bad reason. It's an honest reason  As you're in the small blind and so going to have to play the hand oop I think a raise would be better pre but it's not terrible. I like how you played it on the flop. It's a wet board and taking it down now is fine. Once he flats then I'm not sure about the lead on the  turn as it commits you to the hand and it's a really bad card for us. I get the lack of confidence thing. The trouble is when we start playing a little timidly pre we often end up losing a big pot in the end. You weren't ahead on the turn btw :)
    Posted by Jac35
    ty jac your right the hand has scrambled my brain wanted to use his J for fh and i get what your saying i am becoming a calling station try to sort it
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: should i have reraised pre flop : thanks phantom i was still ahead on the turn as for the confidence my game has been sliding the last two months sounds silly but the game was easier when i didnt know as much and its showing far to many bad decisions need to steady the ship onwards and upwards gl
    Posted by weecheez1
    another edit ;-) oppologies phantom you were right about turn