You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hand from £95 BI VLV qualifier to £435 final.

markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
edited May 2017 in The Poker Clinic
Weecheez asked me to post this hand, he had been railing at the time.

The situation: We are down to 11 handed, 10 players get the £435 ticket. There is a 4800 chip stack and a 7k stack on the other table. I have 26k to start the hand with blinds at 400-800. The average stack is around 16k.

In all honesty I thought and think that this is an easy fold! I would be interested to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.

I was pretty sure I was light years ahead of this players 3bet shove range here and he had open jammed my BB several times. There is IMO no need to call here though. I am extremely likely to be getting the ticket and could probably even sit out (I wouldn't do that though).

My table image was probably average. I had been active but hadn't been caught out of line.

My thought process behind the call was that...
(a) He may be shoving stuff like Kx and Qx Jx etc that I am ridiculously far ahead of and I can just end it here.
(b) I wanted to grab a fresh coffee and watch stuff on Netflix.

Anyone think this actually was a call?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PlayerASmall blind 400.00400.0022616.50
PlayerBBig blind 800.001200.0012867.50
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

markycashRaise 1600.002800.0023792.00
PlayerCFold    
PlayerDFold    
PlayerEFold    
PlayerBAll-in 12867.5015667.500.00
markycashCall 12067.5027735.0011724.50
PlayerBShow

markycashShow
  • K
  • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

• K

River

• Q

markycashWinFull House, Kings and Queens27735.00 39459.50

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    From the other thread...

Weecheez: I was thinking more about your opponent I think there was still two or three players with lower stacks than him and it just seemed like a strange move at the time so I was thinking there must of been a bit of history

Me: 
    Yes agree, they had open jammed my BB a few times though. There was no real history, I had taken some chips off him but was ahead on all streets etc. Im not sure about the shove. I should be folding almost everything in the spot and if he gets the fold he has 'probably/maybe' tied up a ticket.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited March 2017
    Thanks marky I was only caught the end of the game and I thought it was a strange shove from the bb but then again it's a few levels above my game gl in the final
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited March 2017
    Think it's a much closer decision if you start the hand with 18k or so, or QQ.

Chance to end it now with what is highly highly likely to be the best hand? Can see the arguments for not getting involved after putting in the minimum but I think I shrug call.

How the other table are playing might sway a decision though.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Hand from £95 BI VLV qualifier to £435 final.:
    its a fold u locked ya seat lol id fold every hand now no need to get involved 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Agreed :-)
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited March 2017
    I think It's a fold in this spot. He has enough to put us right back in it.
    Seems you agree so I guess the next question is
    Why open?

• Options
    karllukekarlluke Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2017
    Probably should have folded but there again he had enough chips to go with a better hand.  But it might seem to him the short stakes kept doubling up. I know I did thanks for ending it I thought your table would have just locked up gl in the final.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think It's a fold in this spot. He has enough to put us right back in it. Seems you agree so I guess the next question is Why open?
    Posted by Jac35
    I just didn't want the game going on for half an hour and the mini open was getting the blinds the vast majority of the time. Obviously picking up blinds uncontested makes the rest of the players short and brings the end closer. This is the same reason I called, this was my last table of the night so I just wanted to get the game done TBH. If I had like 14 or 15k I would have folded as I should have been able to grind the ticket without taking the risk. With the stack I had I though the odds would still be favourable for picking up the ticket had I lost the hand so was happy to take the chance to close the game out.

I definitely agree the correct play was to fold though and if I had other tables going or had 14-15k I would have folded.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Probably should have folded but there again he had enough chips to go with a better hand.  But it might seem to him the short stakes kept doubling up. I know I did thanks for ending it I thought your table would have just locked up gl in the final.
    Posted by karlluke
    No worries and good luck for the final! Hopefully we can both get a little run good in this or another one of the finals and make it over to Vegas :)
  • Options
    bearlytherbearlyther Member Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2017
    Call play for the win
  • Options
    mattprawnmattprawn Member Posts: 632
    edited March 2017
    I'm calling.

I know it's wrong but the hand is toooo pretty to fold.
    Anyone spot a leak there?

gl in the final

Matt
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    edited April 2017
    Think it's a much closer decision if you start the hand with 18k or so, or QQ. Chance to end it now with what is highly highly likely to be the best hand? Can see the arguments for not getting involved after putting in the minimum but I think I shrug call. How the other table are playing might sway a decision though.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Hi

I thought the same with the chance to pretty much secure my place in last year's final ( 1 was 4/8 at the time, with 5 seats going to Vegas) So after the chip leader's 6th succesive  Allin I called with MY pocket QQ, he had AK and hit trip K's so beware the thought process of trying to secure a position based on stacks...booohooo
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,108
    edited April 2017
    I would call here, even tho probably not wise.

Because I know I would call, I would bet bigger pre to reduce the amount of times someone comes over the top....
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited April 2017
    I would call here, even tho probably not wise. Because I know I would call, I would bet bigger pre to reduce the amount of times someone comes over the top....
    Posted by Essexphil

I like this thought process, a satellite plays very differently from a normal tournament and slightly larger raise can/should act as a shot across the bows, this can produce the desired effect as Phil says.....we don't really want action here, by cutting down FE we shouldn't get it.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Hand from £95 BI VLV qualifier to £435 final. : I like this thought process, a satellite plays very differently from a normal tournament and slightly larger raise can/should act as a shot across the bows, this can produce the desired effect as Phil says.....we don't really want action here, by cutting down FE we shouldn't get it.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Maybe shove and really cut down on FE
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Hand from £95 BI VLV qualifier to £435 final. : Maybe shove and really cut down on FE
    Posted by MattBates

:-)
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Hand from £95 BI VLV qualifier to £435 final. : :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    The JJ VS KK hand you posted was very interesting and very situational. Do you think the talking part of comments he made to you was a good tactic. Is this something you would use?