You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Rebuys and add ons advice please

fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
edited December 2021 in Strategy

After running terrible on cash today I thought I would play the mini tourney and try and change my luck.  It was a rebuy and I didn't realise.  
You could buy back in if you lost your chips before a certain time, then you had a 3 minute period to buy an add on.  I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was, so I didn't buy the add on.  After the restart I went out a few hands later with over pair vs 2 outer on the river (no change from the cash games there).  If I had bought the add on I would have still been in. 

Should i have bought the add on? I think it was £5 for 4k chips, I had 4k at the time.  I hadn't got any heads.

Thanks for any advice, 
merlin

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2017
    Always take the add on (assuming its a rebuy MTT within your bankroll). Often the add on is double the stack of a rebuy/your starting stack so its a false economy not to take it.

The only time it might not be worthwhile is if you have a ridiculous lead, say 50k chips and 2nd has 30k, adding another 4k to your stack makes little difference and even if every other player below you adds on your lead is still very healthy.

This is all assuming Sky software will let you add on of course ;)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    edited April 2017
    its recommended to reg for a rebuy tourny 3 or 4 minutes before the LR ends when you enter rebuy straight away then add on in the add on period that way you should have a healthy stack with probably a quarter of the field already out
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2017
    Rebuy tournaments are very good but can get expensive. There is no point going crazy to try and get a stack and end up needing to finish in the top 3 to make a profit.
    The way the add on is priced means its nearly always best to take.
    Is different strats out there for how to play them, amongst other things your style of play and bankroll will dictate what the best style is.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Thank you very much for the good advice.  I think I will stick with the regular bounty hunters for a bit longer. I guess you can win some big prizes for a comparatively small buy in if everyone has bought back in a few times.  Problem is I think I might be one of those players who buys in loads of times!

Good luck if youre in the vegas semi on satutrday, 3rd time lucky for me I hope ;)

cheers
    merlin
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited May 2017
    i look at stack sizes before deciding on whether to add on. if im below average i defo add-on if im way over average i dont bother.
    rebuys i allow 2 as matt said there is no point rebuying loads and having to win torn to make a profit.

i have used the tactic of late reg very late, rebuying straight away, then adding on for a pretty decent stack on a few occasions
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Mickyblue ;) 
    I am just going to focus on the vegas tournies and reg bh's and spin up at the moment. Sounds like good advice though cheers and Good Luck m8