You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Limp calls

razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
edited June 2017 in Strategy
I play low level 2/4p tables and see a lot of limp calls so if we have premium hands what would you make the standars raise? I vary depending on table but i normally do 20p-28p but sometimes youll get 2 or 3 limp callers which reduces odds on premium hands.So is it better to raise like 8-10 times which seems very high to me or keep to my 5-7 raise?
I know table dynamics alter some moves as ive come accross some players go all in 100bbs with premium hands aswell if they are against a very loose player.

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,343
    edited May 2017
    Hi RazK

I do a 3xBB raise plus 1BB per limper.Maybe more OOP.

• Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Limp calls:
    Hi RazK I do a 3xBB raise plus 1BB per limper.Maybe more OOP. .
    Posted by mumsie
    I was more on about when i raise initially they limp first i raise and often they call say my 5x raise.I love it v 1 player but 2 or 3 really narrows my hands down..Good luck at the tables and thx for your input.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited May 2017
    Hi. This is a common 'problem' with a lot of players. My advice would be to play more of your hands as a drawing hand, not getting married to one pair hands for example. Look to play more hands in position and lastly your initial idea is fine and I would keep to that UNLESS you have one or two particular players that will just call whatever you raise then I would adjust your raise in realtion to your hand strength and position over that player. Dont worry about being exploitable because these players are obviously not paying attention to your hand but there own. 

Accept that yes, these players will call down with 1 pr hands or draws to bad odds and hit but in the long run you will make your money. The key is to still pay attention to the board and how your hand does against it. If your not comfortable betting the river for example then dont, for example you have a 1pr hand. This is where they often fold anyway if they have missed there draw/pair outs/weak hands.
  • Options
    grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited May 2017
    The most important thing to realise is you want them to call with worse hands. If you have AA the more calls the better, provided they are making a mistake calling, which they will be with any reasonable sizing
  • Options
    raggy94raggy94 Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2017
    Even if you assume that balance isn't a thing is the EV differential between over limping/raising small/raising big really that different with different hands?

If an isolation raise hasn't served it's purpose a couple times in a row it makes sense to go bigger the third time.

I'd experiment with different sizings between 25 and 50p and see how it works out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Why do you want to isolate v poor players with a premium hand?
  • Options
    raggy94raggy94 Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Limp calls:
    Why do you want to isolate v poor players with a premium hand?
    Posted by grantorino

I don't particularly. I was more just suggesting a way of RazorKev better implementing his chosen strategy.

'I was more on about when i raise initially they limp first i raise and often they call say my 5x raise.I love it v 1 player but 2 or 3 really narrows my hands down'

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Wasn't particularly aimed at you raggy

My point is imo we shouldn't be particularly looking to isolate v random limpcalling villains. Our raise should be purely for value, the more callers with weak hands the higher our EV will be? Or am I missing something. 

Obviously our hand is easier to play v 1 caller, but that doesn't mean that's best for us. Just adjust your post flop play according to opponents still in hand