You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A question of skill

fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
edited June 2017 in Chat with Channing
Hi There,
I am trying to improve my game and I have seen some definate improvements this last 6 months, which is good.

I have mainly played spin up tables as I felt it worked areas of my game that i was weak at. 

Now that I have improved my aggresion and short stack play (which I felt I needed for later tourney stages) I am going to go back top playing tournies a lot.

I tried to qulaify for the vegas trip this year but failed at the semi's a fair few times bubbling etc.

I think i wasn't a good enough player to make it.  I have started to get some help from a good player now and I think the holes in my game will start to get smaller and maybe next year I will make the vegas trip if its on again.

Did you ever find yourself in a similar situation when you were starting out working on your game?
Where you can see better players out playing you?
Do you have any advice or words of wisdom that you think might be valuable to a player who is beginning to make progress and getting deep in tournies but not winning them?

Thank you very much,
merlin

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    edited June 2017
    In Response to A question of skill:
    Hi There, I am trying to improve my game and I have seen some definate improvements this last 6 months, which is good. I have mainly played spin up tables as I felt it worked areas of my game that i was weak at.  Now that I have improved my aggresion and short stack play (which I felt I needed for later tourney stages) I am going to go back top playing tournies a lot. I tried to qulaify for the vegas trip this year but failed at the semi's a fair few times bubbling etc. I think i wasn't a good enough player to make it.  I have started to get some help from a good player now and I think the holes in my game will start to get smaller and maybe next year I will make the vegas trip if its on again. Did you ever find yourself in a similar situation when you were starting out working on your game? Where you can see better players out playing you? Do you have any advice or words of wisdom that you think might be valuable to a player who is beginning to make progress and getting deep in tournies but not winning them? Thank you very much, merlin
    Posted by fi33er
    Hi Merlin-you were good enough, you just were not lucky enough.

Some years ago I was with a group of qualifiers from another site at the WSOP main, and we were discussing "biggest ever win". 1 young German guy said his biggest ever win was $10, and he had never played live. He won over $40,000 in that tournament.

1 quick tip. Try increasing your bet size on the river by 10% when think you are ahead-works for me. GL

Phil
  • Options
    fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2017
    Phil you are a decent guy!
    You have given me lots of great tips and advice and I enjoyed reading your posts on here as well.  Thanks for the kind words, I will hope to one day meet you (maybe in Vegas!) and buy you a pint.

Good luck this year in vegas, I hope you do great in the tournament.

cheers 
    merlin