You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

changing games

MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
edited June 2017 in Chat with Channing
MR channing 

i play heads up stt mostly which is obvoiusly a diff game to say torns. now my question is how or any advice on how to change style and mindset well?

ive been having a break from heads up if im going to play a torn but still end up playing badly at times. ie far to many hero calls which i dont do when not in heads up mode.

im starting to think my 2 braincells should stick to 1 or the other. 

any advice be welcomed

thanks

micky

Comments

• Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited June 2017

Hi Micky,

I definitely think having a change is as good as a rest.

People often say that if you are on a losing run you should take a break. While I agree that if you feel you are on tilt in one particular session then it's a good idea to stop, however much you are winning or losing and however good the game is, I don't really see how taking a week off will do anything. If you wake up the next day after a good sleep and feel Ok again then you won't be any worse off than if you leave it a week. However, if you are making fundamental mistakes in your game then a week off won't help them if you just come back and make the same mistakes. I would say taking a break and spending time studying is a good idea. There are so many poker videos and training sites and it's a crime to never use them.

In terms of switching games I do think a bit of PLO as a break from the NLH or some Mtts instead of heads-up can get your energy and appetite for the game back. You have to remember the key differences in the games though. If you normally play deep-stack cash then the pace of the game is always largely the same...you play your stronger hands in slightly worse position and only play weaker hands when in position, but you don't need to force things as the blinds don't rise. If you now switch to Mtts you need to be careful to remember that you have to always be aware of your stack in terms of bbs and an 8h9h that plays so well in a deep-stacked cash game with it's implied odds and potential is pretty useless to you in a tournament with 18bbs. When PLO players switch to NLH they usually lack a little aggression and call a bit too much. It's hard to adapt.

As usual in poker it's best to think about every situation in a vacuum and just try and do the ebst thing you can in that spot with the hand you are dealt.

Best of luck.

nc