You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What is the point of 'Poker Points'

coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
This has im sure been mentioned before, and i can obviously see the value in weekly and monthly points.
But wtf am i supposed to do with 50,000 points in my account. I do not have time to play every 20 pts freeroll for the next 17 years.

How about a set of one off freerolls of differing points buyins. Where each player can only enter one.
Up to 1000
Up to 100000
Up to 1000000
Over 1000000

Comments

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    SPENT
  • Options
    gazza127gazza127 Member Posts: 2,156
    I'm hoping I'll get the option to buy a UKOPS bracelet with my 112,762 points and then lie to all my friends that I won an event.

Fullproof.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    OR......if you accrue 11 digits, you can make you very own mobile number.Gl
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,321
    coo1-um said:

This has im sure been mentioned before, and i can obviously see the value in weekly and monthly points.
    But wtf am i supposed to do with 50,000 points in my account. I do not have time to play every 20 pts freeroll for the next 17 years.

How about a set of one off freerolls of differing points buyins. Where each player can only enter one.
    Up to 1000
    Up to 100000
    Up to 1000000
    Over 1000000

Hi Coo1

You have already received any payment (if entitled) for points earned, that's what the Reward Scheme is. (Rewards Points are paid in weekly batches, there are no "monthly points").

So whilst they still show in your Account, they have zero value now. Really, it's just a record of you many you have, historically, earned.

Ideally, once they have been used, they would disappear from your account, but for whatever reason, it does not work like that.

Hope you are keeping well, & still enjoying a spot of PLO8 now & then. Always enjoyed my battles with you.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    coo1-um said:

Good job you only have about two years worth of points then if you play every freeroll on the schedule - Two and a half years if you can't play Omaha ;)

The real points rewards are now your weekly/monthly points payouts.

Back in the day, it used to be a trade-in, where your points would be replaced with cash at the end of each month if you were opted in to the promotion, and points were deducted (rounded down to nearest 500), e.g. Earn 3400 points and Sky would take 3k points off your account, and put your RB in.

Freeroll entries would come out of the same points pool, so in theory you could lose RB by playing too many freerolls and not having enough points to fully swap (e.g. you earn 3k points in a month but you've only got 2400 in your account because you played all the freerolls), which was a bit silly. Sky realised this made no sense and stopped deducting points, so now there's just a load of points sitting there since like mid 2012 that don't really do a whole lot because the functionality was built into the software way back whenever for a system that is no longer in place.

All the points mechanism is there for now is just as a block for people who play freerolls and nothing else - They get the 500 points on sign up still (I think), which is still plenty to try out the software along with play money and their free tokens. But there's various Twitter/Facebook pages out there which post when various sites have freerolls, and they have a ton of leeches that just go wherever the free money is and give absolutely nothing back to the site. Points barriers just prevent those kind of people from playing.

It's otherwise useless. It's the kind of thing that whenever we get a major software overhaul, would make sense to replace with "Earn X points in last Y days or be a new player" - A function that wasn't always on Sky, and the points buy-ins for freerolls are a legacy of that.

Sky always had issues with invite only freerolls (around 2012/13), it used to be text passwords that would just get leaked because they couldn't just set it to "These 100 players only" or "People who have met X criteria". Priority freerolls used to just have everyone added in manually when set up for that reason, as there was no other way to control registration, then most of the players would be away which meant the tournaments were often easy money but not particularly fun. Now that Sky can just set up a "1 poker point in the last week" rule or something if required for freerolls, Poker Points as a currency will become totally redundant and probably get removed.
  • Options
    coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    Wow.
    My 17 years was an estimate.
    I guess i should use maths more.
    Maybe thats the secret ingredient :o

Tikay keep trying my hand still no clue what im doing
    I mean you get 4 cards