You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Help needed pre 12k BH

Ms_ChipsMs_Chips Member Posts: 256
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Okay I tried to be a cheapo and played 3 BH Directs. Busted out everytime with a good stack relative to the blinds or left myself crippled. I hate donkaments but can't stop playing them. But here's the deal.....

I have gathered reasonable enough reads to know who the 'ultra loose players are. In each of these tournaments I have been the pre flop raiser and had the Ultra aggressors coming over the top of me all in, quite strange I know but each time I busted or crippled myself.

AQo v JTo
AQs v K8s
AKo v 33   3 DECENT CALLS i WOULD SAY HOWEVER....... The question has to be asked before I play tonight or any tournament for that matter. Am I showing down to often with these hands to early on, Should I just give it up. Or does it depend if it a freezeout or a bounty.

Thx

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    It's just standard tournament variance. There are so many situations where you both have two live/random cards and one of you have to win.

Stick to your br, and post hands and try and discuss them. You'll likely find that one tournie stars bad you get short, then suddenly after a bit of tight play you win 5 flips and are chip leader and it's an easy win!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed pre 12k BH:
    It's just standard tournament variance. There are so many situations where you both have two live/random cards and one of you have to win. Stick to your br, and post hands and try and discuss them. You'll likely find that one tournie stars bad you get short, then suddenly after a bit of tight play you win 5 flips and are chip leader and it's an easy win!
    Posted by beaneh
    Thx for your input beaneh which is always valued. I understand that losing these hands is down to variance but was wondering if calling all in when I believe to be ahead is still the correct play as I believe that I will never have enough edges over the long term to survive (if that makes sense) Secondly do you think I should just buy in directly as now it's going to cost me 35 pounds to play it tonight as I am suffiecntly rolled for this.
  • Options
    mabsuemabsue Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed pre 12k BH : Thx for your input beaneh which is always valued. I understand that losing these hands is down to variance but was wondering if calling all in when I believe to be ahead is still the correct play as I believe that I will never have enough edges over the long term to survive (if that makes sense) Secondly do you think I should just buy in directly as now it's going to cost me 35 pounds to play it tonight as I am suffiecntly rolled for this.
    Posted by Ms_Chips
    If your roll is helathy enough there is no reason why you shouldnt buy in to this lets be honest if you keep putting your chips in ahead you will win long term and lets hope that starts for you tonight take ten heads and then think what was i worried about lol gl if you play i will see you there gl (so long as you BR allows)
  • Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited February 2010
    Hi Ms Chips
    I have satelited into many tourneys and most I my success was down to very tight play. I treat them a bit like a DYM game and this strategy seams to work for me.

Satalite games are very notorious for loose play and you are likely to get called with just about anything in this type of tourny. My strategy is to sit tight, push all in with premium pairs such as AA, KK, QQ & JJ. 1010 is the very least I would push all in with unless I have seen the flop. I call high pictures such as AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ to the flop and push only if I hit. If I raise with high pictures and someone pushes all in over the top I am folding so I dont risk my chances of being placed in the satalite.

At the end of the day, this type of tourny is all about survival, let all the other loose players knock themselves out first and then you have more chance of playing your normal game.

Everyone will have their own way of playing type of tourny, but this type of play works for me in satalites.

Anyway wish you all the best.

Pokertrev (Official Suite)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed pre 12k BH : Thx for your input beaneh which is always valued. I understand that losing these hands is down to variance but was wondering if calling all in when I believe to be ahead is still the correct play as I believe that I will never have enough edges over the long term to survive (if that makes sense) Secondly do you think I should just buy in directly as now it's going to cost me 35 pounds to play it tonight as I am suffiecntly rolled for this.
    Posted by Ms_Chips

The reason it is so easy to lose your tournament life on a flip is the same reason you will go on mad rushes in tournaments. 

In each scenario you want to assess what selection of hands they go all in with. and how your hand fares against all of those combined not just their specific one in that scenario. Download pokerstove and have a play seeing how certain hands of yours do against different types of ranges of others.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed pre 12k BH : If your roll is helathy enough there is no reason why you shouldnt buy in to this lets be honest if you keep putting your chips in ahead you will win long term and lets hope that starts for you tonight take ten heads and then think what was i worried about lol gl if you play i will see you there gl (so long as you BR allows)
    Posted by mabsue
    Okay, im in see you there hopefully. Yeh was just trying to be cheap about it but the BR is good. 1 in 5 they say. Okay here goes. Gl to you too.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also your edge doesn't come as much from the calls you make when short but how you play your stack when you are deeper. Making less mistakes here increases your winrate more than you'd think.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thx Trev, beaneh, most helpful.